Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extended chokes

Options
  • 08-05-2014 7:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi, i got a new semi-auto Browning pheonix with 26" barrels , i was just wondering if i got extended chokes would i get extra distance killing power, i have noticed that on high pigeon or crows i can hear the pellets hitting the birds but not knocking them , i also have an o&u which i would knock the same height birds comfortably any info appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Extended chokes won't give an improvement over flush chokes, the only advantage is that you can change them without a wrench.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭shoot to kill

Try a tighter choke!!☺ Did u try a pattern plate and compare the two guns. Worked wonders for me. Got a new benelli cordoba last year and when I compared it with the browning xsh the benelli would be a choke size less to be equal to the browning if u understand that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

I've seen extended chokes with something like XX-Full which pattern really tight; don't imagine much difference between extended XX-Full and flush XX-Full etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

It's choke restriction and cartridges that give you your distance more than the length of the barrel.

Check the ratings on your chokes, if they are rated for steel shot than you have a set that is at least one size more open than a standard lead shot choke set, ie -
    Steal = Lead
    Full = Mod
    Mod = Imp Cyl
    Imp Cyl = Cyl

As said in other post, pattern plate your desired cartridges and chokes. There are no actual given choke restrictions more so a range for what each choke falls into so each gun / choke manufacturer will be slightly different. What choke / cartridge combination that works well in one gun may not be good in another.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

If you pattern test your your chokes and compare the patterns produced using extended chokes and the same shot load, you should see a tighter pattern with the extended chokes. This is the main reason people buy them, to keep more shot in the kill zone. This is why the trend in in clay shooting guns is for longer barrels with/without extended chokes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

amadablam wrote: »
    ............ This is why the trend in in clay shooting guns is for longer barrels with/without extended chokes.

Not necessarily, the longer barrel allows more precise pointing due to its longer sighting plane and develops greater momentum for a smoother swing. The latter helps shooters to smoothly maintain the proper lead and consistently break targets. The same principles apply to shooting waterfowl at similar distances as well as clays.
    It still comes down to the degree of restriction more then the length of barrel.

Advertisement