Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Complete Newbie

• 08-05-2014 8:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭

Hi,

I've been a motorbike fan for many years and only now decided to look into buying one. I have a lot of small questions which i hope some people can help me with... many of these questions might seem stupid but i really am a complete newbie.

I've always owned and driven quite powerful rear wheel drive cars, however i respect and understand that motorbikes are a completely different animal.

QUESTIONS
    01 - i have a full driving licence (car), so what do i need to do in terms of getting a motorbike licence
    02 - can i start riding a motorbike straight away, similar to the way provisional licence car drivers can almost drive a car straight away, or do i have to wait to do some test etc
    03 - if i have to wait to get a special licence or test, how do you go about practicing as i've never even been on the back of a motorbike
    04 - i was hoping to pick up a Harley Davidson Iron 883 - has anyone any advice or knowledge of these
    05 - i'm 31 years old, so what kind of insurance quotes do you think i would receive for the above bike
    06 - what would the annual tax be on the Iron 883
    07 - where do most people park their motorbikes when in Dublin City centre
    08 - any other advice you would give to a complete new newbie

Thanks in advance for your help, much appreciated...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Give the sticky a read or use the search function as there is loads of these threads. ..

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭P.K.M.

OK, cant answer all your questions, but I'm sure in time and with the input of a few lads here...you'll get your answers. Anyway...

03 - if i have to wait to get a special licence or test, how do you go about practicing as i've never even been on the back of a motorbike
    - As you have to do your IBT to get your licence etc., this in itself is the training and practice you need. Mick Finlay is an instructor (his username is LookBehindYou here) send him a PM, I'm sure he can answer most of your questions.

04 - i was hoping to pick up a Harley Davidson Iron 883 - has anyone any advice or knowledge of these - Another guy on here is KTRIC, he had a Harley albeit not the one you're looking for. He might be able to point you in the right direction (i.e. AWAY from Harley! LOL) Kidding, he'll know why it's funny.

05 - i'm 31 years old, so what kind of insurance quotes do you think i would receive for the above bike - Without sounding smart, how long is a piece of string. So many variables, it'd be hard to put a number on it. The only way you'll get an idea is to call Adelaide, Carole Nash, Liberty etc...

06 - what would the annual tax be on the Iron 883
    - Tax is the same for all bikes, it's €88 for the year.

07 - where do most people park their motorbikes when in Dublin City centre
    - If I have to go to Dublin, I never bring the bike due to lack of parking facilities. You can risk chaining your bike to a post but...I don't know.

08 - any other advice you would give to a complete new newbie - Dont' jump in feet first. You can get caught up in the excitement. Don't get too cocky too quick. I'm about 8 years on bikes and I'm still learning, we learn til the day we die, don't forget that. And don't be put off, when you get into it, it's fantastic. Nothing like it. And get good gear!! No point getting your licence, getting a nice bike and then getting sh!t helmet/leathers/boots etc.

Hope that helps somewhat, sorry I can't tell you more than that.
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭oo7

Thank you P.K.M

I'll look into the leads you mentioned above.

I'm sure there is a lot involved in order to get up and running, thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,616 ✭✭✭prunudo

One thing I would say is that you shouldn't be put off by what seems like a minefield of red tape. If you have your mind set on getting a bike go for. Although possibly more expensive than you had first figured the ibt training will stand you good.
    I only started the process of getting onto bikes 5 years and it's one of the best things I ever did.

Re. The insurance question, try the Liberty website, you should be able to get a hypothetical quote on it to give you a ball park figure.

Like I said, stick with it and you'll be glad you did and wonder why you didn't take it up earlier in life.

Cool, thanks Jvan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

If you're serious about starting out, read this thread fully. It is the most comprehensive starting guide here and will have the answers to questions you don't even know you need to ask.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057065311

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭ryan101

Honda 50 is the job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

ryan101 wrote: »
    Honda 50 is the job

If you live in the 1980's...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

My suggestion is that you could go and get your LP and go to a school that can supply you with a bike and all the necessary equipment for your IBT (ie any decent school). Just treat it as a challenge or a taster without any of the major expense such as the bike, insurance (and the inevitable maintenance list), helmet, gloves, jackets, trousers, boots, the inevitable taxing of the bike (I've yet to buy a bike with tax on it) and all the other little bits and pieces.

You're always free to walk away at that stage but if you decide you want to immerse yourself further, you have the benefit of the training (the life saving stuff- it's not boring red tape stuff) add hours on the saddle and a pre-test or two and you should ready for the test. It doesn't have to take years either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

Harley Davidson Iron 883 is learner legal as it is hopelessly underpowered for the relative cubic capacity of the engine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

04 - i was hoping to pick up a Harley Davidson Iron 883 - has anyone any advice or knowledge of these

I'll answer this one, having been a HD owner twice over and had nothing but misery bestowed upon me by the shoddy workmanship of the build process that is used to make them. I've had parts fall off, engines starved of oil, brakes leaking, switch gear corroding and the bike starting itself, unexplained non-starts. All these on new bikes with less than 2k on the clock.

Granted they are lovely bikes to look at but you'd never get me on one again.

I've said it before but owning a Harley is like dating an 18 year old model, she looks lovely, great for a ride every once in a while but she'll do your f*cking head in very quickly !!. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

^ +100

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Not to mention ridiculously expensive for what they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

KTRIC wrote: »

...and the bike starting itself

Whaaaatf :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭P.K.M.

KTRIC wrote: »

I've said it before but owning a Harley is like dating an 18 year old model, she looks lovely, great for a ride every once in a while but she'll do your f*cking head in very quickly !!. ;)

599.gif

Never heard that before!! Brilliant!!

giphy.gif

P.K.M. wrote: »
    599.gif

Never heard that before!! Brilliant!!

giphy.gif

:):):)

Thanks for all the help guys, much appreciated... i've a lot of reading to do over the weekend, thanks again.

Advertisement