Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marine Stereo Radio

• 08-05-2014 10:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭

Hi Lads n Lasses,

I have to have a radio on my P 5 registered boat to recieve normal terrestrial radio stations, for any warnings.

This is in addition to my VHF DSC Tx/Rx.

At the moment I have been using a battery portable.

I want to put in a stero system, though I don't want to spend a fortune.

Would a ordinary car radio do the job, I know it would for a while, but would it get corroded easily ?

The cheapest Fusion Marine Stereo I can find is the MA50? would it be better to go with this, with a couple of marine speakers in thelong run

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

If there is a cabin / somewhere dry to put it then a cheap car radio will work. There are plenty of waterproof speakers you can get. Just make sure you use silicon grease on all the connectors & mounting hardware to stop corrosion.
    The last boat I sailed on had one for over 5 years and still worked fine.

If you want it on the console of a large rib or open boat then a proper waterproof marine stereo is the way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭davlacey

id go for decent a car stereo aswell one that has bluetooth so u can make calls through it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭colrow

Thanks Steve and davlacey, its inside the wheel house of a lochin 33, it only gets damp when its unused during the winter.

You've saved me a few shillings. Thanks !!

Advertisement