Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Storage box for front garden.

• 08-05-2014 10:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭

I keep my cover, oil, tool box etc in the front porch as I cant be traipsing through the house from the shed each day with all this gear. Front porch now resembles a garage.
    Any of youse recommend some sort of rainproof lockable box that I can keep all this gear in?

I was looking at this in argos for €40 but am not sure whether its suitable, Any opinions?

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1516593.htm

yPxgGrBl.png

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If it's going to the front of the house I'd go with a metal or timber box for security. Don't buy a big box or you'll end up with crap being stored, only buy a box big enough for the few bits you want to store.

Would a bench with storage be an option? The you can sit in comfort admiring your bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

@Del2005, Yep, thats a great idea, sort of disguises the fact that there's loot contained within!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭prunudo

Not sure if it would suit but I picked up some storage boxes that fit under my hall table, keeps small stuff like oils and cleaning things neat and tidy.
    Like this http://www.woodiesdiy.com/Mobile/Product/deep-3-drawer-tower-sunflower/21448/3.20

Edit: not in that colour mind you!!

Cheers jvan, na, I'm trying to keep it out of the house altogether. When you open the porch door you get a smell of oils,lubes, tarpaulin etc Something that fairly robust and weatherproof. Don't mind spending a few quid if its better than the plastic joby I linked above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,060 ✭✭✭kitten_k

I bought that box at the weekend to store things on my balcony. It is quite big, narrow but long. Very easy to put together and should hold a good bit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

I use a spare wheelie bin for covers etc.

Stealth security, unless someone goes rummaging through my bins :D

MonstaMash wrote: »
    I use a spare wheelie bin for covers etc.

Stealth security, unless someone goes rummaging through my bins :D

I can see a potential problem with that one ! :D Although our binmen aren't that eager to come into the garden!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭prunudo

Cheers jvan, na, I'm trying to keep it out of the house altogether. When you open the porch door you get a smell of oils,lubes, tarpaulin etc Something that fairly robust and weatherproof. Don't mind spending a few quid if its better than the plastic joby I linked above.

Ah fair point, I thought it was just to organise the stuff better. In fairness there's no bad smells from it.......................that I notice anyways!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭gipi

I use one of those plastic boxes as an alternative coal and fuel bunker - have used it for a few years and the only thing that's happened to it is colour fading from the sun. I don't lock it, not sure how secure a lock might be.

kitten_k wrote: »
    I bought that box at the weekend to store things on my balcony. It is quite big, narrow but long. Very easy to put together and should hold a good bit.

I went for it, assembled it, and put all my oils and unctions into it (including my raincover, Its lashing out at the mo so I will check as to it dryness in the morning. I was able to stick a small lock onto it n'all
    The porch doesn't smell like a garage anymore!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

Thats a good idea, i got a waterproof cover as i was going away for a couple months but i dont really have anywhere to put it when its wet, one of these would be ideal, id be interested to hear how waterproof it is.

rowanh wrote: »
    Thats a good idea, i got a waterproof cover as i was going away for a couple months but i dont really have anywhere to put it when its wet, one of these would be ideal, id be interested to hear how waterproof it is.
    Its been lashing since last night and all is dry within! You can probably get better ones, but from a bricks and mortar for €40, I'm quite pleased.
    This is what it looks like assembled :
    nx8nMmDl.jpg
    Q76pdZIl.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Bought one in B&Q today, it looks identical to the one above. It was €27

I've had mine nearly a year now, in the front garden, and all is still nice and dry on the inside. For €27 its a great price, but I wouldn't be leaving expensive tools or anything like that in it, if you'll be leaving it outside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

I've had mine nearly a year now, in the front garden, and all is still nice and dry on the inside. For €27 its a great price, but I wouldn't be leaving expensive tools or anything like that in it, if you'll be leaving it outside.

Nah, same as yourself, chain lube, wd-40 and so on.

I was using 2 large planting pots up till now lol

Advertisement