Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended setup to disable Horizon Wifi and use external Wireless router

Options
  • 08-05-2014 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

I got my new horizon box yesterday and based on the wifi reviews of this box and the fact that I have an excellent wireless router (Linksys E3000), I don't want to use the horizon built-in wireless router.

Is there a recommended setup for this? This could be useful for a lot of people....

I got internet working in the house (every device connects wirelessly to my E3000 and can access internet) but then the box will not see my network so can't use the library feature.

- I have Horizon Lan1 plugged to "internet" input of E3000
    - In the Network section of the box, I selected "Create own network" instead of "Join Network"
    - I disabled Wifi of the Horizon box.

With those settings, internet works but the box doesn't see my network (upnp servers).

Then, I plugged the Lan1 horizon box to Lan1 of the E3000, leaving the "internet" input free. I then selected "join network" on the horizon box and successfully connected as the box could now see the upnp servers on my network. But no more internet for my other devices :mad:

The problem is that I'm trying to get the box to feed the internet and become a client on my network, and I don't know if this is possible? Selecting "join network" disable dhcp on upc box which seems logical that way my router assigns an IP to it.

Any suggestions? I'm sure other would have this setup running and it would be nice to share it because I bet a lot of people would have to do this based on the poor wifi of the box.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭bibi-phoque

I'll try to answer my own post after some research done this morning:
    Lan to Lan connection (Lan1 or UPC to Lan1 of Linksys)
    - "Create network" on UPC to enable dhcp
    - assign linksys IP to 192.168.192.2 (UPC is 192.168.192.1) and subnet 255.255.254.000 to match UPC
    -Disable Linksys dhcp so UPC box takes care of it
    -Disable UPC wifi

Would that work? Will UPC box able to assign IPs to devices connected wired and wireless to the Linksys router?

my setup is not working, anything plugged to my linksys router doesn't get an IP assigned :(

Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

You should connect the Lan port of the Horizon Box to the wan port of a router, if you connect it to a lan port then you will need to bridge the router.

This was the first thing I tried but I then get 2 isolated sub-network where devices plugged on one router won't see the ones plugged on the other router...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

I'll try to answer my own post after some research done this morning:
    Lan to Lan connection (Lan1 or UPC to Lan1 of Linksys)
    - "Create network" on UPC to enable dhcp
    - assign linksys IP to 192.168.192.2 (UPC is 192.168.192.1) and subnet 255.255.254.000 to match UPC
    -Disable Linksys dhcp so UPC box takes care of it
    -Disable UPC wifi

Would that work? Will UPC box able to assign IPs to devices connected wired and wireless to the Linksys router?
    You cant use 192.168.192.2

Horizon uses 2 IP Address that stay the same
    Horizon router 192.168.192.1
    Horizon Box 192.168.192.2

Linksys Router
    Set IP address 192.168.192.254
    Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

Disable Linksys DHCP
    Connect Lan of Horizon to Lan of Linksys if you only want devices to connect wireless to Linksys or Wan if you want both Wired and Wireless the Linksys becomes a Wired Switch
    This creates a wireless access point for the Linksys and any Wired connected devices to Horizon and Wireless connected devices to Linksys will be on the same network and can share Video/Music/Files etc

Note another way is
    If your Linksys Router Access Point Mode only you can choose this and enter
    Linksys Router
    Connect Cat5E or Cat 6 cable from Lan of Horizon to Lan of Linksys Router

Before you do any of this set a password for login in with your Linksys so only you can login in and change any details

You can disable Horizon Wi-Fi if you want but what I do is keep both and have different SSID in use with different Wi-Fi Channels in use

My setup is
    Horizon Wired Devices
    Belkin N+ Connected Wired to Horizon

Belkin N+ Set as a Wireless Access Point is on Same Network as Horizon and all connected devices are shown on same network

Horizon Wireless SSID
    Belkin N+ SSID
    Both are on Different Wireless Channels 6 and 11

Wireless Devices connect to either of Routers Wireless using best ones suited

• Advertisement

Thanks for the detailed explanation! I think you hit the nail on the head here, I didn't think the UPC box was taking 2 IPs, one for the router, one for the box... Well spotted. I'll give that a go tonight.

In regard to your comment "Connect Lan of Horizon to Lan of Linksys if you only want devices to connect wireless to Linksys or Wan if you want both Wired and Wireless the Linksys becomes a Wired Switch", can you explain a little more here? do you mean that if I connect Lan to Lan I cannot have devices wired to the linksys, only wireless? Why is that?

Thanks for the detailed explanation! I think you hit the nail on the head here, I didn't think the UPC box was taking 2 IPs, one for the router, one for the box... Well spotted. I'll give that a go tonight.

In regard to your comment "Connect Lan of Horizon to Lan of Linksys if you only want devices to connect wireless to Linksys or Wan if you want both Wired and Wireless the Linksys becomes a Wired Switch", can you explain a little more here? do you mean that if I connect Lan to Lan I cannot have devices wired to the linksys, only wireless? Why is that?

You can have Wired Connections to Horizon and Linksys both will end up on the same network
    Reason is you by using info I gave you the Linksys will be on the same network as Horizon
    The Linksys will be a become Wired Switch when you set it up as a wireless access point so you can use its lan connections if you want

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Would appreciate some help on my setup. Need to sort something out as WiFi is awful from my Horizon. Here's my setup:

Horizon Box - wired connections to PS4 & RaspberryPi - wired CAT6 to 1st floor office. That leads to an 8-Port 10/100Mbps Desktop Switch, which is connected to the computer and a NAS. I have a Netgear N600 which I would like to position here for best coverage throughout the house.

Suggestions appreciated!

Got it working at the end. There was something fishy going on because I soon as I did a factory reset through the admin interface (not the UPC interface which only reset the TV part), it worked straight away.

Here are the steps:
    - on your own router, plug a laptop and access the admin page (192.168.1.1 usually)
    - disable dhcp
    - set ip to 192.168.192.254
    - turn off router
    - plug your laptop to the horizon box
    - Login to 192.168.192.1 (admin,admin)
    - in Wireless, under Radio, select Disabled.
    - turn off/on UPC box
    - plug your own router to the UPC box (LAN to LAN)
    - turn on your own router
    - plug your laptop to your own router and see if you can access 192.168.192.1
    - if it works, you are good :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

So in my scenario, would I go from the LAN port of the Horizon box to the WAN port of my switch and then from the LAN port of the switch to the WAN port of my router?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Id not use the WAN port on either the switch or the router, this is all LAN based, The Horizon is the WAN facing device. Just use the LAN ethernet ports and ensure DHCP is off on the router and, depending on the switch, on that also.

Pauls post above is fantastic and basically covers your config issues also

The only reason you would connect LAN to WAN is if you wanted to have two separate networks (for example you work from home and want to have your "office devices" isolated from the rest), both network have access to internet but devices from each of those network won't be able to see each others (issue for upnp/dlna). In that scenario, you need to leave dhcp enabled.

For your case, LAN to LAN and disable the dhcp on your own router.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭wizardman

paulboland wrote: »

Linksys Router

Disable Linksys DHCP
    Connect Lan of Horizon to Lan of Linksys if you only want devices to connect wireless to Linksys or Wan if you want both Wired and Wireless the Linksys becomes a Wired Switch
    This creates a wireless access point for the Linksys and any Wired connected devices to Horizon and Wireless connected devices to Linksys will be on the same network and can share Video/Music/Files etc

Note another way is
    Linksys Router

Before you do any of this set a password for login in with your Linksys so only you can login in and change any details

You can disable Horizon Wi-Fi if you want but what I do is keep both and have different SSID in use with different Wi-Fi Channels in use

My setup is
    Horizon Wired Devices

Belkin N+ Set as a Wireless Access Point is on Same Network as Horizon and all connected devices are shown on same network

Horizon Wireless SSID
    Belkin N+ SSID

Sorry for digging up old thread!

Just setting up this using a tp link router. Just want to extend wifi in the house. I set it up using lan to lan. But didnt set the tp link a IP address. Everything seems to work. What is the purpose of setting an ip address for tp link? I disabled dhcp alright.

I couldnt access tp link login after it was setup would this 198.162.1.1 have changed? Was going to change wifi password.

Thanks

Answered your own question. Set an address for the tplink so it's easy to access. On the tplink set a 192
    168.192.x address. You can access it by finding out what address horizon has given it in the dhcp leases section of the horizon router Web page.

Answered your own question. Set an address for the tplink so it's easy to access. On the tplink set a 192
    168.192.x address. You can access it by finding out what address horizon has given it in the dhcp leases section of the horizon router Web page.

Thanks.

Out of interest...What is the purpose of setting an ip for tp link? Would it cause conflict with horizon? Can x be any number? 1 to 999?

And if i was connect to wan on tp link it will give me a wired and wireless?

^SP

it can be 192.168.192.3 to 254

You are setting the TP link up as an access point wired to the horizon box so you can use the tplink wired or wireless.

it can be 192.168.192.3 to 254

You are setting the TP link up as an access point wired to the horizon box so you can use the tplink wired or wireless.

Thank you. Ive one more question (sorry!). I have a HP wireless printer will i set a static IP for this?

the printer can be set to DHCP or give it a static address if you wish. It advertises itself on the network so it really doesnt matter.

Sorry wabbit do I set the ip address and Mac for tp link in horizon login?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Chris_Bradley

Turn off Horizon wi-fi.

Run an ethernet lead to the new router using one of the ports out.

Disable DHCP on the new router and set up a static ip address on it.

Reboot and Bingo.

• Advertisement

Turn off Horizon wi-fi.

Run an ethernet lead to the new router using one of the ports out.

Disable DHCP on the new router and set up a static ip address on it.

Reboot and Bingo.

Where do i set the static ip in horizon or tp link login page? Thanks

wizardman wrote: »
    Where do i set the static ip in horizon or tp link login page? Thanks

TP Link requires a static address but make sure the ethernet wire is in one of the TP link's outgoing ports and not the input from Horizon.

TP Link requires a static address but make sure the ethernet wire is in one of the TP link's outgoing ports and not the input from Horizon.

Yeah i have lan to lan. Where do set the static ip? Login to horizon and set static ip for tp link in there?

wizardman wrote: »
    Yeah i have lan to lan. Where do set the static ip? Login to horizon and set static ip for tp link in there?

Nope, when you you disable the dhcp in the tp and set up a static in the tp. You should be able to log into the tp with either 192.168.0.1 or 1.1. Just plug it into a lappy directly to do it.

You don't have to do anything more to the horizon box after you've disabled the wifi on it.

Got it done thanks all for help. Couldn't turn Horizon wifi says something about opt in service but its not a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 20,021 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Linksys Router

Disable Linksys DHCP

Note another way is
    Linksys Router

My setup is
    Horizon Wired Devices

Horizon Wireless SSID
    Belkin N+ SSID

i have set mine up similar to this now (lan port of horizon connected to lan port of TP Link router) and dhcp disabled.

however i cant now logon to the TP link router via the ip address is that right?

Cyrus wrote: »
    i have set mine up similar to this now (lan port of horizon connected to lan port of TP Link router) and dhcp disabled.

however i cant now logon to the TP link router via the ip address is that right?

If you used 192.168.192.254 that would be your Tp Link router Ip address but
    Have you set up the tp link in its settings as Access Point Mode

• Registered Users Posts: 20,021 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

If you used 192.168.192.254 that would be your Tp Link router Ip address but
    Have you set up the tp link in its settings as Access Point Mode

no i dont think i have

dhcp is off and the lan port from horizon box is connected to the lan of the tp link rather than the internet

Advertisement