Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coffee in Cork

Options
  • 08-05-2014 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭

I've been dropping into Filter on Georges Quay on the way to work a lot over the last couple of weeks and have never tasted coffee that good in Cork before - anywhere else in Cork doing coffee to a similar standard? I never found Cork Coffee Roasters as good.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭shnaek

okedoke wrote: »
    I've been dropping into Filter on Georges Quay on the way to work a lot over the last couple of weeks and have never tasted coffee that good in Cork before - anywhere else in Cork doing coffee to a similar standard? I never found Cork Coffee Roasters as good.

I agree - Filter has fantastic coffee. I only wish the place was a bit bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

shnaek wrote: »
    I agree - Filter has fantastic coffee. I only wish the place was a bit bigger.

Coffee Central in the English Market is decent and Cafe Italee on Oliver Plunkett street is really good (as an aside, their warm Danish's on a cold morning are sensational!)

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Jimmy Bottles

Just another 3 weeks and my beard will be long enough to go into Filter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

mordeith wrote: »
    Coffee Central in the English Market is decent and Cafe Italee on Oliver Plunkett street is really good (as an aside, their warm Danish's on a cold morning are sensational!)

+1 to both of these.

Must try the Danish's.

I think the biggest problem with coffee in Cork (or anywhere) is finding a place that serves consistent coffee. Nothing worse than having a good cup on a particular place one day and then getting someting insipid or burnt the next time.

• Advertisement

I have a good beard (for the last 14 years) but have yet to acquire a suitably small-chequed shirt or jaunty hat. Maybe I could get a water there to start?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,033 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I have a good beard (for the last 14 years) but have yet to acquire a suitably small-chequed shirt or jaunty hat. Maybe I could get a water there to start?

Or maybe you could all grow up and stop being intimidated by or irrationally aggressive towards (on the internet only, of course) people who have different taste to you in clothes and grooming.

(I accept that no one in this thread said anything aggressive)

It's like being in school again.:mad:

Or maybe you could all grow up and stop being intimidated by or irrationally aggressive towards (on the internet only, of course) people who have different taste to you in clothes and grooming.

(I accept that no one in this thread said anything aggressive)

It's like being in school again.:mad:

Yerra, we're only taking the piss like (some of my best friends are hipsters, and were before the term ever became popular)

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

I often have a coffee in Coffee Central and thinks its nice but the coffee is fine but not great I think. Italee is nice alright

okedoke wrote: »
    I often have a coffee in Coffee Central and thinks its nice but the coffee is fine but not great I think. Italee is nice alright

Yeah, it's not the best coffee in Cork but it is good and as I said above, it's pretty consistent so you kow what you're going to get. The price is right as well. I can't belive what they charge in Gloria Jeans. I wouldn't darken the door of the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,033 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Yerra, we're only taking the piss like (some of my best friends are hipsters, and were before the term ever became popular)

You may be taking the piss but the anger and vitriol I read directed towards so called hipsters is a little disturbing.

for example:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89232886&postcount=70
    People don't like hipsters because they're usually c*nts to be honest. That's the long and short of it.

That whole ridiculous subculture revolves around irony and scorn. Music can't be considered any good unless it's some wanky obscure sh*te. For people who profess to embrace individuality they're obsessed with the trappings of capitalism and all end up adopting the same arsehole-style of dress. One minute they're banging on about organic veganism and save the planet, the next they're raving about iPhones and the latest gadgets.

Personally if someone wants to dress like a limp-wristed ponce in skinny jeans or wax a Barnum and Baileys moustache or smoke stinking rollies I couldn't care less; if people want to look like pussies that's their own prerogative. What winds me up though, is when this is accompanied by a too-cool-for-school sense of superiority toward anyone who doesn't buy into their pseudo-intellectual, faux-artistic b*llocks.

So yes, in other words, having these w*nkers invade a pub is a tad annoying for some.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭calnand

The Golden Bean is going to be opening their own cafe in town on the future. I love filter I go in there most days during college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

Yeah, it's not the best coffee in Cork but it is good and as I said above, it's pretty consistent so you kow what you're going to get. The price is right as well.
    How much for a Capuccino?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

ah chill out 'the beer revolu', I had a little laugh when reading the posts too, I don't think it was intended to be anything but.
    Lots of coffee places are a bit pretentious and attract the annoying hipster, Cork Coffee Roasters is guilty of it too.

Back on topic, I also wasn't impressed with Cork Coffee Roasters, a lot of hype really.
    Italee is very nice and the staff were lovely any time I've been in there.
    I've yet to visit Filter but I plan to because I want to buy the Aeropress and I believe they stock it.

kcb wrote: »
    How much for a Capuccino?

€2.20 for a regular (not sure about a large)
    Large Americano is €2

Cafe Italee is €1.50 for a regular Americano.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭calnand

I've yet to visit Filter but I plan to because I want to buy the Aeropress and I believe they stock it.

Yeah they have a good few in stock, good thing about buying the coffee there as well is that they grind it perfectly for the aeropress if you want.

Well there you go. The beauty of personal taste. What's good for one is terrible for another and vice versa :)

I guess what you take from this OP is whatever recommendations you get here, at the end of the days it's your personal preference that will be the final judge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

Well there you go. The beauty of personal taste. What's good for one is terrible for another and vice versa :)

I guess what you take from this OP is whatever recommendations you get here, at the end of the days it's your personal preference that will be the final judge.

Or else he owns a Centra store or something!

:confused:

"Italee is terrible and it's a horrible building"

What?!

If you were buying your coffee based on the architecture you'd need to go to leave Cork for a start!

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭rubicon99

Insomina in the city has the best coffee IMHO

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,287 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I found the coffee in Cafe Depeche really good. Must give the other places mentioned here a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,858 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Idaho do a lovely cappuccino for €2. Throw in another €2 and treat someone less fortunate by buying a suspended one.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭scuby

The book shelf. nice place to sit back and relax on the couch's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

The Book Shelf on South Mall is great, we go there for tea/coffee break all the time. I'm not a coffee connoisseur or anything, in fact I didn't really drink coffee before (more of a tea person) but The Book Shelf changed my mind about it a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

Gloria jeans for me are consistent and don't serve coffee all frothy in big soup bowls that gets cold in 2 mins

Nice to look out that window upstairs on Panna on a busy day

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Gamayun

scuby wrote: »
    The book shelf. nice place to sit back and relax on the couch's
    The Book Shelf on South Mall is great, we go there for tea/coffee break all the time. I'm not a coffee connoisseur or anything, in fact I didn't really drink coffee before (more of a tea person) but The Book Shelf changed my mind about it a bit.

Lovely spot but it can get very busy at times. I like sitting at the bar by the window looking out at the South Mall.

I can't remember which comedian said it but they mentioned how if you reverse the words in the term people watching it takes on an air of menace:

"Where were you for your break?"
    "In a café, sitting by the window, people watching."
    "Oh, how nice and relaxing."

"Where were you for your break?"
    "In a café, sitting by the window, watching people."
    "Oh, eh.. ok."

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Dave47

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I found the coffee in Cafe Depeche really good. Must give the other places mentioned here a look.

Yeah I'd give it the edge over the bookshelf even, just a bit too cramped for me personally tho. It is a more intense blend than any other in the city I've found- would prob be too strong for me as an espresso.

Other place I like is O'Conaills- pretty good coffee and plenty of space- nice service too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭frebel

ah chill out 'the beer revolu', I had a little laugh when reading the posts too, I don't think it was intended to be anything but.
    Lots of coffee places are a bit pretentious and attract the annoying hipster, Cork Coffee Roasters is guilty of it too.

Back on topic, I also wasn't impressed with Cork Coffee Roasters, a lot of hype really.
    Italee is very nice and the staff were lovely any time I've been in there.

Aeropress is great - use it a lot for travelling to have a proper morning coffee or if I'm in a rush in the morning
    Aeropress brew might be a bit underwhelming in a coffee shop - more suited to americanos or long expressos

The opera house does a good double expresso for 2:60
    Filter has best choice and quality I reckon
    Italee is spot on
    Blackrock castle does refills

Anyone know anywhere that does ' double expresso lungos'? - sorry to get fancy pants (all the water is brewed, and the lungo is generally shorter than an Americano or a long black)
    but they're like the sweet spot between expresso and americano

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

frebel wrote: »
    Aeropress is great - use it a lot for travelling to have a proper morning coffee or if I'm in a rush in the morning
    Aeropress brew might be a bit underwhelming in a coffee shop - more suited to americanos or long expressos

The opera house does a good double expresso for 2:60
    Filter has best choice and quality I reckon
    Italee is spot on
    Blackrock castle does refills

Anyone know anywhere that does ' double expresso lungos'? - sorry to get fancy pants (all the water is brewed, and the lungo is generally shorter than an Americano or a long black)
    but they're like the sweet spot between expresso and americano

Sorry to get fancy pants but it's an espresso, not an expresso.

Advertisement