Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coffee in Cork

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭frebel

evilivor wrote: »
    Sorry to get fancy pants but it's a espresso, not an expresso.
    Touché

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

frebel wrote: »
    Touché

Sorry, it's just one of my pet hates.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

evilivor wrote: »
    Sorry, it's just one of my pet hates.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 433 ✭✭lolosaur

i find it makes the coffee taste so much better if i bring my laptop to a coffeee shop and do some work on it while having a coffee. so satisfying knowing you are getting some work done.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,033 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

frebel wrote: »

The opera house does a good double expresso for 2:60
    Filter has best choice and quality I reckon
    Italee is spot on
    Blackrock castle does refills

Anyone know anywhere that does ' double expresso lungos'? - sorry to get fancy pants (all the water is brewed, and the lungo is generally shorter than an Americano or a long black)
    but they're like the sweet spot between expresso and americano

I'd imagine any of the above or any decent cafe would do it for you. Just explain what you want or maybe ask for a long espresso or a short americano. It's not a difficult request.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Dave47

Frebel is filter always really busy tho? Want to try it out but few times I've passed it it's been jammed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Between the gym and work id often stop off in the natural food bakery in Blackrock village. Recently it was busy and ive noticed across the way next to the pub there's a small place called the blackrock cafe advertising Italian coffee. Wow really really great coffee, no outdoor area though.

I'd imagine any of the above or any decent cafe would do it for you. Just explain what you want or maybe ask for a long espresso or a short americano. It's not a difficult request.

eSpresso lungo is stronger than short americano which is an espresso with added water, lungo is brewed for longer with no water added after. I have tried in a few places but none of the above admittedly

Dave47 wrote: »
    Frebel is filter always really busy tho? Want to try it out but few times I've passed it it's been jammed.

Yeah, can be busy alright - closes at 3 on a saturday as well... can be quiet on weekday mornings obviously

Deep South does a good enough pub coffee

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Grim_Wreeper

Quick suggestion for anyone thinking of getting an aeropress brewer; you should check out this metal filter. It should leave in the precious coffee oils which are filtered out by a paper filter, giving you a nice aeropress + French press flavor, with minimal sediment.

• Advertisement

that's a cool little yoke - still have loads of papers but they can be awkward when travelling though - great to be able to have good coffee on a long flight; usually get some filthies as I probably look like a smug wanker with freshly brewed coffee

• Registered Users Posts: 17 2wheelin

I really like Cork Coffee Roasters on Bridge St. Great place to just chill and people watch too!

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Grim_Wreeper

I got a cappuccino (take away) in Filter the other day and it was just horrible. It was like the milk they used was gone off or something. I would have returned it but I was past the point of no return before I tasted it, I ended up dumping it. Disappointing.

so which place is best for an iced coffee? What with the heatwave we have now and all!

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭calnand

Dave47 wrote: »
    so which place is best for an iced coffee? What with the heatwave we have now and all!

The bookshelf have been advertising them for a while. Not sure where is best for one though.

calnand wrote: »
    The bookshelf have been advertising them for a while. Not sure where is best for one though.

10458777_675464479191422_3302747575083250176_n.jpg

okay it looks good might try it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Rodney2

I often get coffee in the bookshelf, I usually drink lattes or flat whites and find them really well made here with really good coffee. It's almost impossible to get these drinks consistently made well in cork as most places are just incapable if foaming the milk correctly! But this place seems to have good baristas.

As for iced coffees the bookshelf have been brewing there own cold brew for a couple of months and I think filter also do one now. It's a much nicer cold option than espresso over ice.

Unfortunately at the moment I have only found 3 coffee shops that serve consistently good coffee, bookshelf, filter and coffee roasters.

Rodney2 wrote: »
    I often get coffee in the bookshelf, I usually drink lattes or flat whites and find them really well made here with really good coffee. It's almost impossible to get these drinks consistently made well in cork as most places are just incapable if foaming the milk correctly! But this place seems to have good baristas.

As for iced coffees the bookshelf have been brewing there own cold brew for a couple of months and I think filter also do one now. It's a much nicer cold option than espresso over ice.

Unfortunately at the moment I have only found 3 coffee shops that serve consistently good coffee, bookshelf, filter and coffee roasters.

had the cold-brew from filter other day and it was excellent- very little acidity to it, very smooth. Think I'd agree with you on that, although cork coffee roasters is bit more of an acquired taste :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Had a coffee in Nash19 last weekend and it was very good. They use Mahers coffee and you can get a free refill too so it's a pretty good deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Trend Setter in Training

Rodney2 wrote: »

Interesting first post...

Although I do agree they do make good coffee in comparison to some of the 'coffee houses' in Cork!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I often buy beans from Cork Coffee Roasters but sometimes get a coffee there too. Weirdly the coffee I make at home with their beans always seems nicer than what I get in the shop.

Coffee at home ftw....

So 3 fools have opened up there on patrick street- far better than expected, have their own coffee as well. Pretty strong, would prob get a flat white/capuccino there next time :P

Advertisement