Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

has cork city been ruined by bike lanes?

Options
  • 08-05-2014 11:28am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 433 ✭✭

It appears as though someone in charge left a four year old loose with a pack of crayons and came up with a bike lane scheme for the city.

Alll of washington street, in my eyes has been destroyed by the most retarded piece of work i have ever seen for a street layout and things will probably only get worse as the bike schemes are expanded.

I fear for the city with palpable window lickers in charge.

As the song goes, " by the banks of my own lovely bike lane"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

The installation of a bike lane outside of the main entrance to UCC is the biggest disaster of all.

They have now removed the filter lane to do a U turn back down Sheare Street. This means the queue trying to do this U turn is now backing up all the way down Washington Street. Its creating utter chaos every morning. I've had to change the way I drive to work because of it.

My vote is going to an anti cycle lane candidate if there is one.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

If it ain't broke, stick in a cycle lane.

If it still works shove a bus lane in too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Lot of bike hate here, but the scheme smacks of 'do something...anything...even if it's wrong.'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

"has cork city been ruined by bike lanes?"

Yes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

Whether or not it works I don't know (I think lots of people are getting too excited about it!) but I just don't know where they are getting the money.... I thought the whole country was broke.

I'd rather they started tidying the verges and cleaning the place up in general if they do have money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

It hasn't been ruined by they it has been ruined by the muppets who like you said had the crayons...They fecked it up and tis aslo been fecked up by the amount of reckless cyclist...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

I heard it was EU money that has to be spent on bike lanes or returned.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

It was there was fund given out but they still could have designed them better. Like sure they hop all over the place

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 433 ✭✭lolosaur

Cowboys Ted.

Im sure many a person has hit one of those stupid kerbs that jut out down along washington street that are pretty much invisible.

Its ruined the aestetics of the city if nothing else and is pointless. it is cork, not dublin. the ifsc and ballsbridge area have 30-40000 converging on it daily where as the entire city of cork wouldnt have that much i am guessing.

There was no need for it. none. warrented in the dublin areas but for the love of god, why bring such a preposterous scheme to an already bottle necked city.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Lot of bike hate here, but the scheme smacks of 'do something...anything...even if it's wrong.'

There isn't a single post in this thread with "bike hate". Just people complaining about dangerous implementation of cycle lanes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Pitcairn

I think it's great and I drive Washington Street every day.
    The reason for the current tailbacks is because they are still laying the paving slabs at the gates of UCC. Once they are finished the left turn lane up O'Donovan's Road will be open along with the straight ahead/right turn lane.
    Beforehand there was only ever a few cars in each of the three lanes and they moved through quickly. Now there will be two lanes so it might tailback a bit further but nothing major.
    They have also just begun putting down the concrete divider on Pope's Quay for the cycle lane there. I'd say there'll be uproar over that as well.
    I don't really have a problem with them installing these things as long as they admit if they get it wrong and reverse it afterwards. But I think Washington Street will work well once it's all finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Pitcairn wrote: »
    The reason for the current tailbacks is because they are still laying the paving slabs at the gates of UCC. Once they are finished the left turn lane up O'Donovan's Road will be open along with the straight ahead/right turn lane.
    Beforehand there was only ever a few cars in each of the three lanes and they moved through quickly. Now there will be two lanes so it might tailback a bit further but nothing major.
    They have also just begun putting down the concrete divider on Pope's Quay for the cycle lane there. I's day there'll be uproar over that as well.
    I don't really have a problem with them installing these things as long as they admit if they get it wrong and reverse it afterwards. But I think Washington Street will work well once it's all finished.

I presume they Mass crowd won't park in this cycle lane like good god-fearing citizens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭TINA1984

Every time road space in the City Centre is given over to anything beside the mighty car, we hear the same predictable whining. We heard it when Bus Lanes were put in, we heard it when on-street parking spaces were eliminated, we heard it when the speed limit was reduced and now we're hearing it when bike lanes have been put in.

Motorists can't seem to get their head around the idea that city centre streets are more then just rat runs and car parks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

lolosaur wrote: »
    Cowboys Ted.

Im sure many a person has hit one of those stupid kerbs that jut out down along washington street that are pretty much invisible.

Better hitting a kerb rather than a cyclist, Cork drivers cannot handle cyclists on the road at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Henry94

I never had a problem cycling around town without lanes. My biggest issue was thieves. If they had spent the money on bicycle lockers for the city centre it would have done more to get people cycling and made a profit.

Better hitting a kerb rather than a cyclist, Cork drivers cannot handle cyclists on the road at all!

Bull.

It's not a cork thing.

as both a cyclist and a driver, 90% of the time a cyclist will be at fault.
    I am guilty of it myself at times but some people should not be allowed near a bike without taking a test. and cyclists who think they own the road are the worst of all. At least in a car you realise the potential for danger but cyclists think they are invincible and havent got a modicum of respect for anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

That's rubbish. You're far more aware of the dangers on the road when you're a cyclist. Especially cars who don't seem to think anything smaller than them is worth sharing the road with. And "cyclists who think they own the road?" Really? Cyclists are just as entitled to use the roads as any motorist.

Lyaiera wrote: »
    That's rubbish. You're far more aware of the dangers on the road when you're a cyclist. Especially cars who don't seem to think anything smaller than them is worth sharing the road with. And "cyclists who think they own the road?" Really? Cyclists are just as entitled to use the roads as any motorist.

Im not getting into an arguement over cycling vs. cars as cyclists tend to get very pissy over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Im not getting into an arguement over cycling vs. cars as cyclists tend to get very pissy over it.

I wonder why when people come out with gems like, "90% of the time a cyclist will be at fault." :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

TINA1984 wrote: »
    Motorists can't seem to get their head around the idea that city centre streets are more then just rat runs and car parks.

Cyclists can't seem to get their head around that only 2% of traffic within the city is that of cyclists, space is limited so it should be utilised better.

• Advertisement

It's a hardy annual and both sides can be quite pissy. The solution is the kind of segregation we are seeing now which will make the roads safer for everyone and encourage more people to cycle. The more people that cycle the more space cars will have so it's a win for everyone.

We can only judge any piece of infrastructure when its finished. Remember the fuss when the roundabout was taken away on Boreenmanna road. That has been a great success.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

There isn't a single post in this thread with "bike hate". Just people complaining about dangerous implementation of cycle lanes.

It was barely concealed, bubbling under the surface, but as you can see now we're in the thick of it.
    The usual 'Everyone on the road is an idiot (except me) posts'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Pitcairn wrote: »

This isn't the case. It is not the roadworks which are causing the tailbacks but the new filter system.

https://maps.google.ie/maps?q=cork+city&hl=en&ll=51.895593,-8.488011&spn=0.000007,0.003449&sll=53.3834,-8.21775&sspn=3.801239,7.064209&hnear=Cork,+County+Cork&t=m&z=18&layer=c&cbll=51.895594,-8.489035&panoid=RlnVlo0WfgFsk_Vavh5e1w&cbp=12,258.98,,0,8.35

There is only one lane now for straight ahead and to turn right to do the U turn onto Sheare Street. To do the U turn, there must be no traffic coming against you as you must give way to traffic travelling east on the Western Road.

There is a constant stream of cars heading east in the morning and very little opportunity to pull out to do the U turn. This means there are monumental traffic jams going back down Washington Street. Have you driven through this junction at rush hour since they changed it ?

Henry94 wrote: »
    The more people that cycle the more space cars will have so it's a win for everyone.

I think the question though is will the cycle lanes actually encourage more to cycle. I doubt it, Cork is hillier than most so I don't think we will see the sport being taken up in as great numbers as it is in Dublin.

I think if we want more space we should encourage public transport, but at the moment the installation of the cycle lanes on Washington Street has led to frequent delays for buses during rush hour, thus discouraging the use of public transport.

FrStone

The disruption will pass when the job is finished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭TINA1984

FrStone wrote: »
    Cyclists can't seem to get their head around that only 2% of traffic within the city is that of cyclists, space is limited so it should be utilised better.

With the improvement in cycling infrastructure and the addition of Cork Bikes we should see cycling take off in the Cork urban area, like it has in Dublin. The City Centre area where most of the congestion is and where the Cork Bike stations will be is quite flat, so the 'Cork is hilly' argument doesn't really fly.

FrStone

once everything is in place, the gas board are due to start laying their newer lines along the new roads.

TINA1984 wrote: »
    With the improvement in cycling infrastructure and the addition of Cork Bikes we should see cycling take off in the Cork urban area, like it has in Dublin. The City Centre area where most of the congestion is and where the Cork Bike stations will be is quite flat, so the 'Cork is hilly' argument doesn't really fly.

Most commute into the city and don't live within the City centre, those who do in most cases are able to walk around anyway.

We will have to wait and see but I doubt it will take off.

FrStone

Once the job is finished we are down a lane, the same amount of vehicles sharing less space. Getting rid of a lane has to cause traffic disruption.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

If you could pick a bike up at St Luke's X and cycle IN to the city centre and have it returned by the bike scheme it would be kinda handy one way :D

Advertisement