Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

has cork city been ruined by bike lanes?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

mire wrote: »
    All I am suggesting is some perspective, some calm - what is a bit disappointing is people claiming that Cork's efforts to introduce cycling have failed - before the scheme has even been completed!
    Introduce cycling? Cycling has been around for along time, and will be for a long time to come.
    The general theme of the thread isn't against cycle lanes. What contributors have an issue with is the currently implementation of the cycling lanes, and that includes the cyclists using them.
    This debate - for me- suggests that Cork has some growing up to do - because the level and tone of debate on this issue is a bit emarrassing to say the least. This is not me being condescending, it's my closely-held view on this.
    Suggesting that people have growing up to do before they agree with your closely held view, is very condescending.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Stepping Stone

evilivor wrote: »
    "the cyclists were cycling and chatting to each other two abreast, and that he drove behind them for a while, then beeped to let them know he was behind them"

What a moron.

What a good, publically minded citizen to let them know that he was behind them. Must remember to beep at all cyclists from now on, just in case the large vehicle with the engine noise behind them isn't obvious.

Personally, I wouldn't overtake one cyclist on that hill, so I think that warrants a dangerous driving charge in itself. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭TINA1984

I'd imagine that those who have to pay for; a car, car tax, car insurance, servicing, NCT, parking discs, petrol/diesel, tolls; would expect some investment on the taxes/vat they have to pay.

It's too early to write it off or champion it. I hope my doubts are wrong and that it works very well.

Your contention appears to be that cycling infrastructure is expendable but roads should always have money spent on them, this I would suggest is a viewpoint from another era.

From a public policy perspective, most modern countries have realised that neverending roads spending to facilitate the motor vehicle, particularly in urban areas, just leads to more congestion. There's not much more can be done for Ireland's urban areas in terms of roads, its public transport and cycling infrastructure which should be taking priority from here on in.

TINA1984 wrote: »
    Your contention appears to be that cycling infrastructure is expendable but roads should always have money spent on them, this I would suggest is a viewpoint from another era.
    No, that's not my viewpoint, which is why I didn't say that.

No, that's not my viewpoint, which is why I didn't say that.

You said on the previous page that you didn't want to see spending on cycling infrastructure?:confused:

• Advertisement

You said on the previous page that you didn't want to see spending on cycling infrastructure?:confused:
    How can you not pickup that I've said I'm pro cycle lanes, but the against the wasting of money on sub-par lanes that even cyclists don't use.
    I'm for good cycling lanes as it'll benefit me.
    I think these are the areas that they should have targeted with really good cycle lanes
    And who has been saying that Cork should abandon cycling infrastructure? People just want it done correctly.
    The only issue I have is that the road infrastructure isn't there, and the costs may be beyond the slim finances that are there
    I think it could be done over time, and with a good planned process, but that doesn't appear to be happening unfortunately.

I just don't believe that we have the funds (which we don't as we're borrowing) to prioritize huge/large spending on a cycling infrastructure (when there's a €2B budget adjustment coming).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

munstermagic, I agree with you in general but it was my understanding that the money for this was from Europe, specifically for the implementation of cycle lanes, and therefore not available for any other projects. It was a spend it or loose it deal.... so I believe... can't remember how I came to this info but it's sticking in my mind. Can anyone confirm?

Bacchus wrote: »
    munstermagic, I agree with you in general but it was my understanding that the money for this was from Europe, specifically for the implementation of cycle lanes, and therefore not available for any other projects. It was a spend it or loose it deal.... so I believe... can't remember how I came to this info but it's sticking in my mind. Can anyone confirm?
    Yeah, I think I saw that somewhere as well, but can't confirm.
    I'd just like to see us use it as beneficial as possible when building the lanes (i.e. not having the lanes surface rip apart as we've seen occur). Lets do it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

Introduce cycling? Cycling has been around for along time, and will be for a long time to come.
    The general theme of the thread isn't against cycle lanes. What contributors have an issue with is the currently implementation of the cycling lanes, and that includes the cyclists using them.

Suggesting that people have growing up to do before they agree with your closely held view, is very condescending.

Yes, introduce cycling. In traffic management and mobility terms, cycling is effectively being introduced [or more accurately re-introduced] as a mode of effective transport. The city's streets and roads are effectively being re-designed to reflect this. Many contributors here display a general ambivalence and suspicion of cycling as if it was invented by Cork City Council. In addition, many of the design comments are premature - let;'s wait5/10 years before a forensic analysis.

Cork has a lot of growing up to do.

Yes, introduce cycling. In traffic management and mobility terms, cycling is effectively being introduced [or more accurately re-introduced] as a mode of effective transport. The city's streets and roads are effectively being re-designed to reflect this. Many contributors here display a general ambivalence and suspicion of cycling as if it was invented by Cork City Council. In addition, many of the design comments are premature - let;'s wait5/10 years before a forensic analysis.

I think you're missing a key point here. There is no "ambivalence and suspicion of cycling". Posters have reiterated that is the planning and design that they have the problem with. You seem to think the changes, as they are being done, have some sort of design to them. I can't, nor can others, see that design. I'd rather not have to wait 10 years to see "ooooooh, that's what they were going for". If this was done right, we should be seeing some sort of pattern or proper re-design of Corks roads already. Instead, we've 1 lane here, 2 lanes there, just shoved on to the existing road. Proper design would look at the roads, pedestrian footpaths, parking and cycle lanes together. This is not the case and I suspect the reason is because there is an expiration date on this money (again, would love if someone could confirm it's Europe money) and they are trying to spend it quickly at the expense of proper planning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

What Cork has is a series of forced changes over the years that may or may not be for its own embetterment.

There have been many, the City Centre was denuded of people as the City Council did not want to see nappies drying in clothes lines across streets.

So they made, Knocknaheeny, Togher and Mayfield and later to try and address the issues caused by that they made Lota, the Glen, Mahon and Grange.

The denuded City Centre has become economically untenable for merchants, many of whom now reside in the major shopping centres around the city with as many as five more planned.

We are not far off the mark already were tourists and cyclist are the only living things passing through an otherwise ghost town and all these changes have all been heralded by bringing us into the next century and growing up.

Maybe you need to check the mirror.

Contributors here have repeatedly stated that they are for cycle lanes that are well designed and effective, and that work as part of a plan that encourages people to use a bicycle instead of their car.
    Cyclists themselves (and I've one of them), some of which have experience of cycling in cities that have got it right, are giving their opinion that the changes are not being implemented correctly and deter current cyclists from using them; leading to the conclusion that future/new cyclists may not be encouraged to use them either.

In 5/10yrs they may very well get it right; I would hope that a decade later they would.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

You are completely ignoring the argument from a lot of people in here that the cycle lanes have been ill designed, sometimes dangerously and have caused traffic chaos for motorists at a lot of very important junctions throughout the city centre.

You clearly are interpreting what you want from what people have been typing. Something very different to what they are actually trying to say.

Are you honestly trying to tell me that the cycle lanes installed on Washington Street are safe and a good idea ?

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

You are completely ignoring the argument from a lot of people in here that the cycle lanes have been ill designed, sometimes dangerously and have caused traffic chaos for motorists at a lot of very important junctions throughout the city centre.

You clearly are interpreting what you want from what people have been typing. Something very different to what they are actually trying to say.

Are you honestly trying to tell me that the cycle lanes installed on Washington Street are safe and a good idea ?

I am simply suggesting some perspective, and balance. I think it is ridiculous to suggest that just because you are a cyclist, you know better than a designer how to design and build cycling infrastructure. In the same way that motorists aren't automatically qualified as road engineers just because they use roads. I don't agree that the as yet unfinished works are dangerous, and I think this is a bit of an overreaction. An I am suggesting that people wait a while before judging.

I don't see an issue with Washington Street; I've heard a lot of ill-informed and reactionary commentary. Cycle lanes installed, car lanes reduced, disruption, congestion - part and parcel of retrofitting a city. A contra-flow cycle lane from UCC to Courthouse; nothing unusual or dangerous here. Materials used are not very aesthetically pleasing but that can be enhanced when more funding becomes available. A job was done, some people less than happy - this is entirely predictable. This will all calm down and people will get used to the changes.

I am simply suggesting some perspective, and balance. I think it is ridiculous to suggest that just because you are a cyclist, you know better than a designer how to design and build cycling infrastructure. In the same way that motorists aren't automatically qualified as road engineers just because they use roads. I don't agree that the as yet unfinished works are dangerous, and I think this is a bit of an overreaction. An I am suggesting that people wait a while before judging.

I don't see an issue with Washington Street; I've heard a lot of ill-informed and reactionary commentary. Cycle lanes installed, car lanes reduced, disruption, congestion - part and parcel of retrofitting a city. A contra-flow cycle lane from UCC to Courthouse; nothing unusual or dangerous here. Materials used are not very aesthetically pleasing but that can be enhanced when more funding becomes available. A job was done, some people less than happy - this is entirely predictable. This will all calm down and people will get used to the changes.

It's most amusing to see such great concern for the quality of cycling infrastructure and the welfare of cyclists coming from our friends who just so happen to be car commuters inconvenienced by it all.

Maybe you need to check the mirror.

Contributors here have repeatedly stated that they are for cycle lanes that are well designed and effective, and that work as part of a plan that encourages people to use a bicycle instead of their car.
    Cyclists themselves (and I've one of them), some of which have experience of cycling in cities that have got it right, are giving their opinion that the changes are not being implemented correctly and deter current cyclists from using them; leading to the conclusion that future/new cyclists may not be encouraged to use them either.

In 5/10yrs they may very well get it right; I would hope that a decade later they would.

So we need high quality cycling infrastructure, but we don't have the money for it? this is the nexus of your argument?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

From a public policy perspective, most modern countries have realised that neverending roads spending to facilitate the motor vehicle, particularly in urban areas, just leads to more congestion. There's not much more can be done for Ireland's urban areas in terms of roads, its public transport and cycling infrastructure which should be taking priority from here on in.

To be fair we are decades behind our European counterparts on all road infrastructure. In the States they have massive highways and wider roads making further spending on roads daft.

We have crap roads for cyclists and motorists. Its not like motorists currently are driving on brilliant infrastructure here.

If it wasnt for european help I would wonder how much money would have been spent on either

Days 298 wrote: »
    To be fair we are decades behind our European counterparts on all road infrastructure. In the States they have massive highways and wider roads making further spending on roads daft.

We have crap roads for cyclists and motorists. Its not like motorists currently are driving on brilliant infrastructure here.

If it wasnt for european help I would wonder how much money would have been spent on either

On the contrary, we have arguably the most comprehensive Motorway Network in Europe. Yes there are still big gaps, but I don't think any country can match us when it comes to brand new shiny, yet very empty, motorways.

This is especially true when one considers the respective populations of our urban area's connected by motorways. Would the M20/17/18 be built to connect 3 relatively small urban area's in Europe? probably not.

Our national and secondary routes ain't as good, but when you consider the massive amounts of N, R & L routes polluted with one-off housing, its cost prohibitive to the Irish state to bring all these roads up to standard.

Perspective and balance? You're the one coming across as needing perspective and balance, telling us from your high horse that Cork needs to "grow up". There is plenty of reasoned arguments in this thread and it's been said time and time again that people are open to cycle lanes, but just not how they are being done.

If you don't see what is wrong with Washington Street... :confused:

It starts off grand but then as you come up to the little bridge for the River Lee hotel the curb separating the cycle lane from the parking spaces breaks for about the length a car. It then reappears about 3 foot further out into the road. The cycle lane (on the inside of the curb) opens up very wide and then there is more parking spaces (I can't recall does the curb disappear again or move back in the 3 foot to accommodate the parking spaces). The cycle lane narrows again coming up to the traffic lights and inexplicitly joins the pedestrian footpath forcing cyclists to cycle through the area where pedestrians, waiting for the lights to change, stand. After which it moves back on to the road.

BTW, noone has complained about the aesthetics of the lanes. I quite like it actually. It's nice see to designated cycle lanes appearing around the place even if it is a bit of a disorganised mess.

So we need high quality cycling infrastructure, but we don't have the money for it? this is the nexus of your argument?

Where did you get that from what you quoted?

There clearly is funding. The problem is it doesn't seem to be spent very well due to an apparent lack of planning.

• Advertisement

Bacchus wrote: »
    Where did you get that from what you quoted?

There clearly is funding. The problem is it doesn't seem to be spent very well due to an apparent lack of planning.

MunsterMagic has repeatedly stated this point in several ways
    I just don't believe that we have the funds (which we don't as we're borrowing) to prioritize huge/large spending on a cycling infrastructure (when there's a €2B budget adjustment coming).
    I can't speak for him, but I presume he's suggesting the kind of high-quality cycling infrastructure; streets closed to cars etc. should be built, but we can't afford it right now.

i'm nor sure if he's aware that, in addition to urban initiatives, the state has begun funding the start of a national Greenway network.

I am simply suggesting some perspective, and balance.
    You've attempted to slam anyone that doesn't conform to your view, coming across as preachy and arrogant. Perspective and balance are absent in your statements.
    I never said that I'm more qualified than a designer who has done cycle lane designs as part of their job. But as I don't know, and you don't know, who is doing the designing and their qualifications, perhaps you should prejudge either.

MunsterMagic has repeatedly stated this point in several ways

Ah I see, the bit you quoted didn't match up with what you were saying but I see what you mean now. Yeah, that spending/budget stuff went off on a tangent for a while there :)

It's most amusing to see such great concern for the quality of cycling infrastructure and the welfare of cyclists coming from our friends who just so happen to be car commuters inconvenienced by it all.
    You must be easily amused, as it's both motorists and cyclists that have complained about some of the cycle lanes.
    If we don't have money for patients on trolleys and special needs care, then clearly we don't have the money for large/huge spending on cycling infrastructure. There's a €2B budget with taxes/cuts coming this year, and another adjustment the following year.
    That doesn't mean no spending, or using assigned funding, for cycling infrastructure. How many times do I need to write this.
    On the contrary, we have arguably the most comprehensive Motorway Network in Europe. Yes there are still big gaps, but I don't think any country can match us when it comes to brand new shiny, yet very empty, motorways.
    Have you been outside this country? We do not have the most comprehensive motorway network in Europe. The M20 isn't even completed.
    And what exactly are you basing your argument that we have empty motorways? Where's your data for this statement?
    I can't speak for him, but I presume he's suggesting the kind of high-quality cycling infrastructure; streets closed to cars etc. should be built, but we can't afford it right now.
    Closing a street to cars costs relatively nothing, so no I don't mean that.
    Have you visited London/Paris/Amsterdam and seen the outlay of their cycling infrastructure?
    i'm nor sure if he's aware that, in addition to urban initiatives, the state has begun funding the start of a national Greenway network.
    I'm well aware of it and looking forward to it's implementation.

To clarify (so I don't have to repeat it again), I'd love to see a top class cycling infrastructure in the city, it's be great as I enjoy cycling and would love to see it prosper. This is my own desire.
    But I have my doubts that it's currently something that we can afford to match what's been done in cycling cities where's it's been done well. Again, that doesn't mean no spending, or using assigned funding, for cycling infrastructure.
    The currently scheme/plan seems to be badly implemented, with some poor lanes and a lack of joining up of lanes that will encourage new cyclists to jump onto their bike.
    I have my doubts that the Cork (with narrow one way streets, wet climate, hilly region) will have the uptake in cyclists that is desired; but I think the investment is worth it to try alleviate the current situation and change peoples habits for a better city/country.

I may be wrong about my doubts (that's why I've said doubts and not facts) and I hope that my doubts will be proven to be incorrect and that it will all fall into place with desirable results.
    However, "grow up", "get over the inconvenience", "wait 5/10yrs" are not compelling or factual arguments to negate any of the doubts I've raised.

You must be easily amused, as it's both motorists and cyclists that have complained about some of the cycle lanes.

From what I can see the cyclists unhappy with the layout are unhappy for the same reasons they are unhappy with most other pieces of cycling infrastruture, namely breaks in the lane and continued sharing of road space with other road users.

Motorists are unhappy because their precious commute times have been increased.

In otherwords people are unhappy for wildly differing reasons.

If we don't have money for patients on trolleys and special needs care, then clearly we don't have the money for large/huge spending on cycling infrastructure. There's a €2B budget with taxes/cuts coming this year, and another adjustment the following year.
    That doesn't mean no spending, or using assigned funding, for cycling infrastructure. How many times do I need to write this.

You can repeat it all you like, it doesn't tally with the facts on the ground. The government are and will continue to fund modestly priced cycling infrastructure, despite the misery of it all.

Have you been outside this country? We do not have the most comprehensive motorway network in Europe. The M20 isn't even completed.

Most countries don't build Motorways betweeen comparatively sparsely populated settlements like we do. If we followed the Euro model we'd only have Motorway between Dublin-Belfast and a single motorway to Munster. The M20/17/18 would not be built in Europe.
    And what exactly are you basing your argument that we have empty motorways? Where's your data for this statement?

Check the NRA AADTs for our motorways, large sections of the Interurbans have tiny amounts of traffic relative to the design capacity of the Motorway. Now compare those numbers to AADTs for British & European Motorways, see the difference for yourself :).
    Closing a street to cars costs relatively nothing, so no I don't mean that.
    Have you visited London/Paris/Amsterdam and seen the outlay of their cycling infrastructure?

We're back to comparing massive urban area's with Cork, it's not a fair comparison. I'd love to see similar infrastructure here to there but I'd be just as happy to see a relatively modest cycleway network for Cork.

To clarify (so I don't have to repeat it again), I'd love to see a top class cycling infrastructure in the city, it's be great as I enjoy cycling and would love to see it prosper. This is my own desire.
    But I have my doubts that it's currently something that we can afford to match what's been done in cycling cities where's it's been done well. Again, that doesn't mean no spending, or using assigned funding, for cycling infrastructure.
    The currently scheme/plan seems to be badly implemented, with some poor lanes and a lack of joining up of lanes that will encourage new cyclists to jump onto their bike.
    I have my doubts that the Cork (with narrow one way streets, wet climate, hilly region) will have the uptake in cyclists that is desired; but I think the investment is worth it to try alleviate the current situation and change peoples habits for a better city/country.

I may be wrong about my doubts (that's why I've said doubts and not facts) and I hope that my doubts will be proven to be incorrect and that it will all fall into place with desirable results.
    However, "grow up", "get over the inconvenience", "wait 5/10yrs" are not compelling or factual arguments to negate any of the doubts I've raised.

You can't imagine up a comprehensive cycling network just like that, it takes years if not decades. You might not like that, but that's the way it is. A handy comparison is the motorway network, it was built piecemeal over a period of decades with the gaps gradually filled.

We in Ireland have only recently come around to the idea that our roads are not just for cars, so its going to take a while for improvements for public transport, cyclists & pedestrians to come to fruition, this scheme is just the start of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭kooga

anyway being such a fine day today i opted to cycle from my house to work. I got in much quicker even obeying the rules of the road and was impressed by the new infrastructure in the city.

Motorists are unhappy because their precious commute times have been increased.
    We get it. You have issues with motorists.
    You can repeat it all you like, it doesn't tally with the facts on the ground. The government are and will continue to fund modestly priced cycling infrastructure, despite the misery of it all.
    It appears that no matter have many times it's repeated, you still don't get it.
    I'm happy that we are funding cycling infrastructure.
    Most countries don't build Motorways betweeen comparatively sparsely populated settlements like we do. If we followed the Euro model we'd only have Motorway between Dublin-Belfast and a single motorway to Munster. The M20/17/18 would not be built in Europe.
    We have built two lane motorways (dual carriageways) between our major cities.
    The M20 is not even complete, which should connect Cork (2nd city) and Limerick (3rd city). The M18 isn't complete to connect Limerick to Galway (our 4th city).
    These type of roads (dual carriageways) do exist in Europe connecting similar populations. I've driven on them. Blackpool to Preston (on the way to Manchester), and both those areas can't be much bigger than Cork to Limerick. Have you been to the UK or continental Europe?
    Check the NRA AADTs for our motorways, large sections of the Interurbans have tiny amounts of traffic relative to the design capacity of the Motorway. Now compare those numbers to AADTs for British & European Motorways, see the difference for yourself :).
    Can you provide the link to these stats?
    You won't get an argument from me that spending on motorways should be scaled back if it is wasting money and doesn't aid economic recovery.

We're back to comparing massive urban area's with Cork, it's not a fair comparison. I'd love to see similar infrastructure here to there but I'd be just as happy to see a relatively modest cycleway network for Cork.
    Well quite often they are the cities that are mentioned when it comes to arguing for cycle lanes/infrastructure/culture; that's why I quoted them. It doesn't have to be the same as those cities; similar, but obviously on a smaller scale.
    "a relatively modest cycleway network for Cork" that works and encourages people to cycle is what I'm also for, and hopefully it can be upgraded/improved in the future.
    You can't imagine up a comprehensive cycling network just like that, it takes years if not decades. You might not like that, but that's the way it is.
    Well I can imagine it, but I as I said I don't expect it to happen overnight, if at all (due to the points I made, in particular about our current financial situation). So it's nothing to do with not liking it.
    We in Ireland have only recently come around to the idea that our roads are not just for cars, so its going to take a while for improvements for public transport, cyclists & pedestrians to come to fruition, this scheme is just the start of that.
    Cars/bicycles/pedestrians have shared roads for a long time. The idea of 'roads for just motorists does exist' in the mindset of some, but it's not shared among all the motorists in Ireland.

We get it. You have issues with motorists.

It appears that no matter have many times it's repeated, you still don't get it.
    I'm happy that we are funding cycling infrastructure.

As a motorist myself I have no "issues" as you imply with my fellow drivers. And you can forgive my confusion, On the one hand you say you support cycling infrastructure investment, yet then you repeatedly mention how the state can't afford to build cycling infrastructure as there is more pressing concerns, then you say you support the construction of Greenways, but then proceed to say you think the investments in cycling infrastructure are doomed to failure.

We have built two lane motorways (dual carriageways) between our major cities.
    The M20 is not even complete, which should connect Cork (2nd city) and Limerick (3rd city). The M18 isn't complete to connect Limerick to Galway (our 4th city).
    These type of roads (dual carriageways) do exist in Europe connecting similar populations. I've driven on them. Blackpool to Preston (on the way to Manchester), and both those areas can't be much bigger than Cork to Limerick. Have you been to the UK or continental Europe?

Can you provide the link to these stats?
    You won't get an argument from me that spending on motorways should be scaled back if it is wasting money and doesn't aid economic recovery.

Once again, you're not comparing like with like here. Not only are Preston & Blackpool considerably closer together then Cork/Limerick/Galway, they are in/near 2 of the largest metropolitan areas in the UK, with a combined population of 4m+. Cork/Limerick/Galway combined population, even with towns along the M20/17/18 route, represent a fraction of that and the motorway will have for most of its length nowhere near the amount of traffic as they will in the heavily urbanized NW of England.

The NRA website is easy to navigate to find AADTs, the UK highways one less so, I'll leave it you to go googling to your hearts content.

"a relatively modest cycleway network for Cork" that works and encourages people to cycle is what I'm also for, and hopefully it can be upgraded/improved in the future.

And the Wash. St. upgrade & Cork Bikes scheme is the start point for this to happen.
    Cars/bicycles/pedestrians have shared roads for a long time. The idea of 'roads for just motorists does exist' in the mindset of some, but it's not shared among all the motorists in Ireland.

When its come to spending, roads have traditionally had the lions share. We're slowly beginning to see this imbalance being rectified in urban areas, much to the anger of some motorists. Ime I've found that a lot of motorists are both impatient and have an aggressive/reckless attitude to cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

When its come to spending, roads have traditionally had the lions share. We're slowly beginning to see this imbalance being rectified in urban areas, much to the anger of some motorists. Ime I've found that a lot of motorists are both impatient and have an aggressive/reckless attitude to cyclists.

Motorists are the most oppressed group of people of all time, we get aggro for driving big 4x4s with our children to school, those same vehicles are amongst the safest to carry passengers.

We get harassed again by dropping our children off to school with "no stopping" and tipple yellow lines in a schools vicinity.

We get hassled by the traffic warden and the parking attendant for taking up so much room and they see us as the rich elite and WANT and are early looking to give us a ticket, a fine or a clamp as soon as we leave our [precious motors.

We are hassled if we drive too slowly, we can't enjoy the view as we must and are obliged to make progress. We can't go too fast either as we have to pay an extra tax and collect penalty points for often very minor offenses.

We have to have our cars examined in another extra tax and by have to pay to fix faults to pass the test that another mechanic would say is fine and indeed often passes the same test in another centre, so we are targeted for abuse again just because we are motorists.

We have paid for the road system in direct read tax and vehicle registration tax and now we have to pay a company tolls to actually use our roads as well as paying 80% for the fuel we use to the government.

Without motorists, we'd not have the road system that exists today and we'd be using mountain bicycles 'off road' so to speak.

• Advertisement

Red Nissan wrote: »
    Motorists are the most oppressed group of people of all time, we get aggro for driving big 4x4s with our children to school, those same vehicles are amongst the safest to carry passengers.

We get harassed again by dropping our children off to school with "no stopping" and tipple yellow lines in a schools vicinity.

We get hassled by the traffic warden and the parking attendant for taking up so much room and they see us as the rich elite and WANT and are early looking to give us a ticket, a fine or a clamp as soon as we leave our [precious motors.

We are hassled if we drive too slowly, we can't enjoy the view as we must and are obliged to make progress. We can't go too fast either as we have to pay an extra tax and collect penalty points for often very minor offenses.

We have to have our cars examined in another extra tax and by have to pay to fix faults to pass the test that another mechanic would say is fine and indeed often passes the same test in another centre, so we are targeted for abuse again just because we are motorists.

We have paid for the road system in direct read tax and vehicle registration tax and now we have to pay a company tolls to actually use our roads as well as paying 80% for the fuel we use to the government.

Without motorists, we'd not have the road system that exists today and we'd be using mountain bicycles 'off road' so to speak.

Magnificent satire there, I'm LOLing :P

Advertisement