Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

has cork city been ruined by bike lanes?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

There certainly is. McCurtain Street will be made 2 way which is sure to reduce the traffic :rolleyes:

Everything the city council have done lately has seemed to do nothing but increase traffic everywhere. Digging up roundabouts everywhere looks to be only a start.

The proposal for MacCurtain St is interesting if it's done right - they plan to widen the footpaths and improve accessibility to create a improved pedestrian experience, so the area can act as a link between Kent railway station and Patrick’s Street.

"This is a plan done for traders by the traders. There is 100% support from traders for this plan, and for the introduction of the new two-way traffic system. All we are thinking about now is what’s going to be right about this street in the future.”

• Registered Users Posts: 16,308 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The new bike lanes are completely separated from traffic and are as wide as the road itself. You surely don't believe it is safer to cycle with the traffic than in the virtually empty cycle lanes which are as wide the road itself ?

The lycra clad people don't like getting held up by someone puffing along on a cycle-to-work bike or an arts student with a high nelly full of messages.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

evilivor wrote: »
    The proposal for MacCurtain St is interesting if it's done right - they plan to widen the footpaths and improve accessibility to create a improved pedestrian experience, so the area can act as a link between Kent railway station and Patrick’s Street.

"This is a plan done for traders by the traders. There is 100% support from traders for this plan, and for the introduction of the new two-way traffic system. All we are thinking about now is what’s going to be right about this street in the future.”

What will the story with parking be? McCurtin Street is kinda dilapidated enough but the parking was handy if you wanted to run in and quickly get something. If the parking is taken away I'd have no real reason to ever be on McCurtin Street - unless going to the Everyman.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

The lycra clad people don't like getting held up by someone puffing along on a cycle-to-work bike or an arts student with a high nelly full of messages.

:pac::pac::pac: Ain't that the truth!

For what it's worth, I think city-centre cycling lanes are a great idea. I'd rather shave my head with a cheesegrater than drive a car into any city-centre these days, and in fact I usually use the trolley-bus on those occasions when I need to go in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

FrStone wrote: »
    As usual you will just have the few cycling fanatics that will lambast everyone else for choosing to drive instead of walking or cycling.

Oh the irony.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

I agree that the plan will aid traders. I'm not sure what the city council are planning in terms of getting cars out of the city centre onto the Lower Glanmire Road. The junction of Coburg, McCurtain and Bridge Street is going to be mental when you throw in the extra movements it will be required to handle.

jimgoose wrote: »
    :pac::pac::pac: Ain't that the truth!

For what it's worth, I think city-centre cycling lanes are a great idea. I'd rather shave my head with a cheesegrater than drive a car into any city-centre these days, and in fact I usually use the trolley-bus on those occasions when I need to go in.

Also, cycle lanes tend to collect broken glass and assorted nasties over time that don't like tyres. Wonder if the street cleaning machines can actually clean inside them, I fcuking doubt it.

Also, cycle lanes tend to collect broken glass and assorted nasties over time that don't like tyres. Wonder if the street cleaning machines can actually clean inside them, I fcuking doubt it.

You could drive a artic lorry down the new ones considering the width of them.

You could drive a artic lorry down the new ones considering the width of them.

You could, yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

The best point I have seen is how many people will see the new cycle lanes then decide to leave the car at home and cycle to work instead, my guess is 0,
    The cycle lanes outside the city are good, even though I don't cycle they seem to fit in well and the Douglas road one is well used from what I see,
    But taking away entire lanes of traffic to help a handful of cyclists is madness,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Michael..

Typical Irish attitude to change.

Let's face it. The city is absolutely ruined from traffic. The quicker people get out of the their cars and onto their bikes the better.

If you have a problem with the traffic on the western road then don't use it - use an alternative route.

On a side note, I think the council are bringing forward plans to ban traffic from Patrick's street. In my opinion, I think this is a great idea. I'd much rather see people walking and cycling down the middle city main thoroughfare rather than traffic jam.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 433 ✭✭lolosaur

Michael.. wrote: »

Let's face it. The city is absolutely ruined from traffic. The quicker people get out of the their cars and onto their bikes the better.

If you have a problem with the traffic on the western road then don't use it - use an alternative route.

On a side note, I think the council are bringing forward plans to ban traffic from Patrick's street. In my opinion, I think this is a great idea. I'd much rather see people walking and cycling down the middle city main thoroughfare rather than traffic jam.

The city is dying and you propose to redirect traffic away from it?????

jaysus michael, i hope you dont use logic in your job.

I got in to a taxi in city centre a few weeks ago. Almost immediately the driver said: “What do you think of these new bike lanes – they’re a effin’ disgrace aren’t they?”

I replied that, no, in fact in thought were a great idea – anything that encouraged fewer cars in the city centre the better – and I said that there should be nothing allowed except taxis and buses.

Cue silence…

Then he said, rather sheepishly, “Well, I wasn’t expecting that response” and he started to laugh.

Then he began to think about it a bit more and he said: “Well, it would be brilliant for us… less traffic etc, more customers.”

By the time I got to my destination we had the city centre transport policy sorted between us. Buses and taxis only in the city centre area; subsidised parking in the council car park, more park and ride; enforced pedestrian priority; no deliveries after 10am and proper sanctions for pedestrians who don’t cross at zebra crossings and cyclists who act like dicks. Give live back to the city.

I don't mind change. I just don't like change which has clearly not been thought through fully and which in some case (Washington Street) has been declared by the Gardaí to be downright dangerous.

Yes it is. However, get rid of very important filter lanes to install 3 meter wide cycle lanes isn't the answer. The traffic chaos which getting rid of all these filter will cause will be madness.

On the flip side, I seriously doubt that these cycle lanes will entice people out of the car and onto bikes. We have the wettest climate in Europe. The increase seen in cyclists lately is to do with the economy and how cheaper it is to cycle.

And if there isn't an alternative route ? Traffic avoiding the Western Road will also obviously clog up other streets which will now be used as rat runs.

I don't really see the benefits here at all. It doesn't take much effort to go from side of Patrick Street to the other. Its not exactly as if the paths on Patrick Street are narrow. Similar to Western Road, this will force traffic that would have used Patrick Street into streets around it. The streets around it have had filter lanes removed.

I'll say it again, this will be an almighty mess which will be reverted within 3 or 4 years. I just hope the city centre isn't dead by then.

By the way, can anyone name City Councillors who were against the current cycle lane plan ? I want to work out who I'll give my preferences to.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Henry94

“It's feckin' madness!” Sinn Féin Cllr Thomas Gould on the Washington St layout changes and how two lanes for traffic became one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭TINA1984

bladebrew wrote: »
    The best point I have seen is how many people will see the new cycle lanes then decide to leave the car at home and cycle to work instead, my guess is 0,
    The cycle lanes outside the city are good, even though I don't cycle they seem to fit in well and the Douglas road one is well used from what I see,
    But taking away entire lanes of traffic to help a handful of cyclists is madness,

Going off other cities experiences, improving cycling infrastructure generally leads to big increases in people utilising it.

Of course, Cork is unique amongst all the cities in the world in that it is the only one with hills and rain, so of course its a waste of money...

TINA1984 wrote: »
    Going off other cities experiences, improving cycling infrastructure generally leads to big increases in people utilising it.

Of course, Cork is unique amongst all the cities in the world in that it is the only one with hills and rain, so of course its a waste of money...

Hills and lots of rain is the reason no one ever cycles in San Francisco either.

No need to be a sarcastic arse.

Cork is very much unique in the respect of cycling due to it being suck in the heart of a vally and its outlying suburbs all being uphill. it would put a massive strain on budgetary constraints getting someone to bring load after load of bikes back to the terminals when people who freewheeled into work got the bus out of them.

Also, the buses with the bikes on the front. they have them in canada everywhere. people bring their bike in case they might want to cycle. it takes 5 minutes of fidgeting to get the thing on or off, frustrating people on the bus, cars behind and cyclist trying to pass by. It only has room for 2 bikes so when thicko number 3 comes along, it causes panic amongst everyone. you have a bike and/or legs, dont be so F**king greedy trying to use the bus too. terrible ideas.

Hills and lots of rain is the reason no one ever cycles in San Francisco either.

The wind and the cold generally. the thing with san fran is everyone is trying to out hipster each other at the moment so basically you just have a lad going around with a bike tyre looking all hip with one of those kellogs corn flakes spokie dokies hangin out the back of it.

• Advertisement

lolosaur wrote: »
    The city is dying and you propose to redirect traffic away from it?????

jaysus michael, i hope you dont use logic in your job.

Cars don't spend money, people do.

I despise the city at the moment simply because it's full of traffic. I think you'll agree that the city centre would be a much more pleasant place if a greater number of the streets were pedestrianised and a higher number of people used a bike as a mode of transport.

I despise the city at the moment simply because it's full of traffic. I think you'll agree that the city centre would be a much more pleasant place if a greater number of the streets were pedestrianised and a higher number of people used a bike as a mode of transport.

Would you ban cycling in the pedestrianised areas ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭farmerjj

That should have started with "in a perfect world" cork is a badly laid out city and you cant change that now.

farmerjj wrote: »
    That should have started with "in a perfect world" cork is a badly laid out city and you cant change that now.

Well, by the looks of things they are in the middle of changing it.

Would you ban cycling in the pedestrianised areas ?

If there were clearly defined and safe cycle lanes then yes.

If there were clearly defined and safe cycle lanes then yes.

there is a 15 foot wide footpath on either side of the street.

I really dont see what the big issue it.

every cross street between merchants quay and grand parade is pedestrianised. where the hell do you be walking that you so badly need to stand in the middle of pana?????

bad enough paul street was taken over by goth hippopotemous looking devil vampire worshipping teenagers who hate their parents, you want them to stant in pana looking miserable now too.

Maybe start looking at some of the disadvantaged areas and derilict sites around the city or maybe a trip down to the homeless shelter. Maybe funding for these vital projects would be much better use then spending 400 million putting down cobble stones on the main street because bikes are being victimised and dole scrounging scum need to have a place to fester for the day.

farmerjj wrote: »
    cork is a badly laid out city and you cant change that now.

So perhaps the original query should have been have bike lanes been ruined by Cork City?

So perhaps the original query should have been have bike lanes been ruined by Cork City?

I tell you what, it's 90% of the bike lanes that are fine, it is that 10% of bike lanes who dont treat the other 90% of bike lanes like bike lanes, that is the big problem.if bike lanes had a bit more respect for other lanes on the road then there would be far fewer lane related fatalities. Pedestrianise bike lanes to keep the city free of congestion, thats what i say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

Would the two of ye go away with your well thought out logical responses and don't come back till ye start making up statistics and guess work. Most of the posters here don't understand reasoned debate until you start making stuff up.
    bladebrew wrote: »

Like this man here, guessing is the only way! Despite the fact cycling is one of the fastest growing sports in Ireland with memberships of Cycling Ireland growing 500% since 2007 helped by the bike to work scheme.
    And then goes on to contradict himself in the same sentence saying the Douglas road is "well used" but will only help a "handful".

• Advertisement

Would the two of ye go away with your well thought out logical responses and don't come back till ye start making up statistics and guess work. Most of the posters here don't understand reasoned debate until you start making stuff up.

Like this man here, guessing is the only way! Despite the fact cycling is one of the fastest growing sports in Ireland with memberships of Cycling Ireland growing 500% since 2007 helped by the bike to work scheme.
    And then goes on to contradict himself in the same sentence saying the Douglas road is "well used" but will only help a "handful".

2,500% of statistics are FMA.

Advertisement