Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is 1890 866 555 a BOI number?I recieved a text this morning and believe its a scam

Options
  • 08-05-2014 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

na

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Elaine

Hi jimjam2014, 

Thank you for contacting us here on Boards.ie. 

Yes, 1890 866 555 is indeed a Bank of Ireland number. The department it relates to is Credit Card Collections. This area will, from time to time send text messages to customers. 

If you would like to speak to a representative in that area, please call the number and they will be happy to assist you. 

Hope this helps. 

Thanks, 
    Elaine

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Caff Caff

BOI tell me that the text is not genuine and so not to call the number

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Alison

Hi Caff Caff 

Thanks for your post today.

We've double checked this, texts received to contact this number are genuine. 

We're disappointed to hear you have been advised by BOI these are a scam. The number is for Bank of Ireland Credit Card Collections.

Would you like to send us a PM to let us know which area of BOI gave this information to you? 

Thanks
    Alison

I contacted my branch and the guy on the phone said that BOI would not text asking me to contact them urgently (the message states I should) and he agreed that if it was urgent (ie. They thought Imy card was swiped etc.) That they would call me and not text. Why send a message asking me to contact them urgently?! He also did not recognise the number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Billy

Caff Caff wrote: »
    I contacted my branch and the guy on the phone said that BOI would not text asking me to contact them urgently (the message states I should) and he agreed that if it was urgent (ie. They thought Imy card was swiped etc.) That they would call me and not text. Why send a message asking me to contact them urgently?! He also did not recognise the number.
    Hi Caff Caff, 

Thanks for your post. 

We've called the number and can verify that it is Bank of Ireland. If you are in any way concerned about the text, you can call Credit Card Services on the number on the back of your credit card and ask to be put through to the Collections Team.

Thanks

Billy

• Advertisement

Many thanks
    I have just got off the phone from BOI after calling through my branch again myself and yes it is BOI. My MasterCard was in arrears by €1.50. I called the guy in the branch back to tell him and he said 'are you sure?' Haha. There you have it. I could just about convince him!

Thanks for replies. Much appreciated. Hard to know who or what to trust these days.
    Hi Caff Caff, 

Thanks for your post. 

We've called the number and can verify that it is Bank of Ireland. If you are in any way concerned about the text, you can call Credit Card Services on the number on the back of your credit card and ask to be put through to the Collections Team.

Thanks

Billy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Alison

Hi Caff Caff

Glad to hear this, you're right to be cautious. Thanks so much for the update. If you need us again, you know where to find us! 

Enjoy the rest of your day! 

Thanks
    Alison

Advertisement