Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photos of the sun

Options
  • 08-05-2014 12:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Does anyone have any experience with taking photos of the sun? I recently purchased some mylar from ebay and I intend on using it with a canon 200mm lens. I understand the safety concerns with the sun and I'm going to use live view to take the pictures.

Really I'm wondering a few things.
    Would the 200mm lens get decent enough photos?
    Is it better to have the aperture closed or open?
    Does stacking the photos give better results with the sun and if so how many photos?
    Is there a way to easily focus the camera on the sun?

Thanks,
    Kevin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

I would say 200 is a good start, but you'd probably want as high an aperture as possible with a really really high ND filter (although I'm not sure, this could possibly still damage the sensor on your camera) or maybe there's a special solar filter you can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Nerro

Sheeps wrote: »
    I would say 200 is a good start, but you'd probably want as high an aperture as possible with a really really high ND filter (although I'm not sure, this could possibly still damage the sensor on your camera) or maybe there's a special solar filter you can get.

I wouldn't chance my arm with ND filter, not even with big stopper. There is cheap Baader Astrosolar Filter , costs around 20 quid which is made just for that. as far as I know if the conditions are good ant the sun is high you will need 20+ stops of ND to safely photograph it. With mylar it should be doable but it depends on quality, if there is even a small scratch on it you may end up destroying your sensor , not worth of a gamble when there is cheap alternative in my opinion.

Advertisement