Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fas HQ in waterford disbanded for wexford

Options
  • 08-05-2014 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭

just read in the N&S that the fas hq in Waterford is to be "disbanded and shifted to Wexford".
    anyone any insight into this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 maltese falcon11

I don't think so. Will check with a friend of mine tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭kaef

Get rid of it completely. One of the useless institutions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

That would be yet another big loss to the city tbh, regardless of what you think of it as an institution

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Something for Wexford ??? Now that's a shock...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭gw80

jca wrote: »
    Something for Wexford ??? Now that's a shock...

where it was going is not really the point,further dissection and devaluing of Waterford is

• Advertisement

kaef wrote: »
    Get rid of it completely. One of the useless institutions.

how is it useless? plumbers,electricans welders, engineers, not everyone can or wants to work in IT

gw80 wrote: »
    where it was going is not really the point,further dissection and devaluing of Waterford is

That's being going on in Wexford since the 70's. Not nice is it?

That's being going on in Wexford since the 70's. Not nice is it?

ya see,ya see right there is the problem with the south east, too many hands out so everybody ends up with less.

If all the counties in the south east rallied behind Waterford then every one would benefit, If Waterford was backed years ago like galway wouldnt wexford be better off, whats wexford town? about 45 minutes drive to waterford, easilly a daily commute for IT and pharma jobs and university students from Wexford could still live at home, witch means more people with more money in Wexford.

ya see,ya see right there is the problem with the south east, too many hands out so everybody ends up with less.

If all the counties in the south east rallied behind Waterford then every one would benefit, If Waterford was backed years ago like galway wouldnt wexford be better off, whats wexford town? about 45 minutes drive to waterford, easilly a daily commute for IT and pharma jobs and university students from Wexford could still live at home, witch means more people with more money in Wexford.

Something would have to be done about New Ross it's a nightmare. It's all about having decent TD's to get anything done. Students in Wexford have been tramping the Co . Wexford to Waterford route for years. In the early 80's it often took 2 hours to get from enniscorthy to the college.

Something would have to be done about New Ross it's a nightmare. It's all about having decent TD's to get anything done. Students in Wexford have been tramping the Co . Wexford to Waterford route for years. In the early 80's it often took 2 hours to get from enniscorthy to the college.

true, New Ross is a nightmare, Traffic wise I mean, but I believe there are plans for a new bridge across the river,witch will help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

Fine gaels commitment to take apart Waterford continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭cassette50

dzilla wrote: »
    Fine gaels commitment to take apart Waterford continues.

Another reason not to vote for them in the upcoming local elections.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Facts

This is completely false and has zero foundation. The HQ of the new Waterford/Wexford ETB is in wexford which I disagree with but the Solas Training Centre (new name for FAS) is in Waterford and is not going anywhere. Solas will be part of the ETB structure which perhaps has led to a wrong assumption that training centre is to go to Wexford. I would like to see evidence to back up such a suggestion but I suspect it is just an opinion in a newspaper which people have taken as gospel! Don't believe everything you hear, I think Waterford people have a problem taking that cardinal rule on board!

Facts wrote: »
    This is completely false and has zero foundation. The HQ of the new Waterford/Wexford ETB is in wexford which I disagree with but the Solas Training Centre (new name for FAS) is in Waterford and is not going anywhere. Solas will be part of the ETB structure which perhaps has led to a wrong assumption that training centre is to go to Wexford. I would like to see evidence to back up such a suggestion but I suspect it is just an opinion in a newspaper which people have taken as gospel! Don't believe everything you hear, I think Waterford people have a problem taking that cardinal rule on board!

That sounds a bit closer to the truth alright, but you,ll have to forgive us Waterford people for being a bit touchy about things like this under this government, at least under ff we were getting a few crumbs, but under fg it feels like Waterford is being specifically targeted

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

That sounds a bit closer to the truth alright, but you,ll have to forgive us Waterford people for being a bit touchy about things like this under this government, at least under ff we were getting a few crumbs, but under fg it feels like Waterford is being specifically targeted

Don't let facts get in the way of a rant anyway!

- This government has invested money into Waterford, in a number of areas.
    - IDA visits are up, when compared with under the Fianna Fail administration.
    - The only time we got anything under Fianna Fail was when we had a heavy hitting Minister.
    - The South East as a whole hasn't been getting massive favours from the government considering they have a Minister and a Chief Whip in the government from there.

Sully wrote: »
    Don't let facts get in the way of a rant anyway!

- This government has invested money into Waterford, in a number of areas.
    - IDA visits are up, when compared with under the Fianna Fail administration.
    - The only time we got anything under Fianna Fail was when we had a heavy hitting Minister.
    - The South East as a whole hasn't been getting massive favours from the government considering they have a Minister and a Chief Whip in the government from there.

What political party are you associated with again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Deise67

another party political broadcast on behalf of FG !

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭space2ground1

Visits are up. Each one confirming that there's a shocking lack of capital investment in the city leading them to go elsewhere to places that are well looked after.

But visits are up. Pity universities, hospitals, runways and jobs are down. Cue more promises that all these are on the way.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Visits are up. Each one confirming that there's a shocking lack of capital investment in the city leading them to go elsewhere to places that are well looked after.

But visits are up. Pity universities, hospitals, runways and jobs are down. Cue more promises that all these are on the way.

People that are looking at Waterford have decided for other reasons not to locate here. Nothing to do with lack of funding.

Not sure who promised an Airport Runway extension (a bigger one than is already being done), and nor do I recall anybody saying they will secure a different hospital (which is being upgraded to a University Hospital). Being active in the Fine Gael campaign locally, there were no major promises but a University was a committed and was in the Programme for Government. That's a Labour Ministerial position now and it looks like we are being given a new unique approach, separating out to two different University types.

I'm not saying the government is perfect, or perfect towards Waterford or the South East. But I will point out facts, on both sides of the fence.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭space2ground1

You think the reasons companies locate elsewhere is nothing to do with government investment in Waterford?

You think the services in WRH are being upgraded or even maintained!?

You think the lack of a university in Waterford is now Labours fault?

That's the most FG soaked, skewed, party loyalist post I think I've ever read here. Fair play to you for your tenacity in backing them but your post has confirmed beyond any doubt that I will not go near a FG candidate on a ballot paper.

Nothing personal but wow.. That's an amazing post.

• Advertisement

People that are looking at Waterford have decided for other reasons not to locate here. Nothing to do with lack of funding.

Not sure who promised an Airport Runway extension (a bigger one than is already being done), and nor do I recall anybody saying they will secure a different hospital (which is being upgraded to a University Hospital). Being active in the Fine Gael campaign locally, there were no major promises but a University was a committed and was in the Programme for Government. That's a Labour Ministerial position now and it looks like we are being given a new unique approach, separating out to two different University types.

I'm not saying the government is perfect, or perfect towards Waterford or the South East. But I will point out facts, on both sides of the fence.

I am not claiming to be an expert on politics or anything, I would read up enough stay informed and to try keep up with politics as much as possible. I read the forum on here quite a bit. I have always heard you defend Fine Gael but I have not heard you say anything bad about them ever from what I can recall, so you are not really giving both sides of the argument in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Deise67 wrote: »
    another party political broadcast on behalf of FG !

Careful now. I've been banned for less....... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

You think the reasons companies locate elsewhere is nothing to do with government investment in Waterford?

You think the services in WRH are being upgraded or even maintained!?

You think the lack of a university in Waterford is now Labours fault?

That's the most FG soaked, skewed, party loyalist post I think I've ever read here. Fair play to you for your tenacity in backing them but your post has confirmed beyond any doubt that I will not go near a FG candidate on a ballot paper.

Nothing personal but wow.. That's an amazing post.

I would agree 100% with those sentiments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

The "upgrade" to the hospital is a joke. It was a teaching hospital with professors appointed by the RCSI.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭cannonfoddr

Last FG/Labour coalition- Garda headquaters moved to Kilkenny, ambulance centre moved to Wexford(away from the regions' main hospital), ESB and regional IDA offices to Cork.All of this done against the expert advice of the time and against the opinions of the offices concerned.All these moves happened within 6 months of a television appearance by Ivan Yates and Brendan Howlin on RTE day after the election declaring a "balancing of influence in this region" and how "some places have tried to over emphasize their position for too long".Never will I vote FG/Labour

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭cannonfoddr

Last FG/Labour coalition- Garda headquaters moved to Kilkenny, ambulance centre moved to Wexford(away from the regions' main hospital), ESB and regional IDA offices to Cork.All of this done against the expert advice of the time and against the opinions of the offices concerned.All these moves happened within 6 months of a television appearance by Ivan Yates and Brendan Howlin on RTE day after the election declaring a "balancing of influence in this region" and how "some places have tried to over emphasize their position for too long".Never will I vote FG/Labour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Deise67

7upfree wrote: »
    Careful now. I've been banned for less....... :)

ah already been down that road, easy about it tbh ! just annoys me when I see some of the waffle & how intelligent people follow parties blindly , that goes for all parties ! you would think that logic would be a throw back to yesteryear.................

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

It's almost as if we don't have 2 Waterford specific politics thread and a whole politics forum.

Perhaps it could be used to declare your undying love/hatred for Fine Gael

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭cabledude

This is one of the most sensible posts I have ever read on boards.ie

The idea of an economic hub in the south east is a good one. We need to be in a position to compete with Limerick, Galway, Cork and Dublin for FDI and job creation. In fact, I think that the county councils of Waterford, Wexford, Kilkenny, Carlow and South Tipperary should all be scrapped. In its place should be a regional authority thats sole mandate is the economic, social and cultural promotion of the region as a whole. Not 5 or 6 separate authorities competing and bitching at each other.

Leave that stuff on the GAA pitch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

The Fas centre is staying in the south east, in Wexford , an easy commute for Waterford people.

Too many people on the site and in Waterford in general , do the parochial , county jersey thing.

They took rrrrr jobs nonsense, we have hundreds of Waterford people working in surrounding counties and visa versa,

People are probably upset that the new Glanbia factory is in Kilkenny. ( 3km from Waterford)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement