Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Map case

Options
  • 08-05-2014 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭

Does any of you run in the mountains with a map in a case hanging from your neck? If so, which case do you use?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Alf. A. Male

I've run a fair bit in the hills with a map and done quite a bit of orienteering, never once had a case around my neck, always in my hand and usually in a cheap polythene bag. Carrying the map in hand is almost universal and the bag the most popular. A case around your neck would be awkward and annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭inigo

I do that too... I meant a case that you can carry across the chest like a messenger bag but doesn't bounce all the time when you're running. I'd rather not carry anything in my hands if I don't have to or if I'm running downhill. I usually don't have to look at the map all the time but hate stopping to take it out of the bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

Anything that's going to effectively stop it flapping about will likely make it awkward to read. Also, on those rare warmer days, having it strapped across your chest would affect cooling.

If you carry it in your hand, you can keep a thumb on your last checked location to speed up orientation when you need to look up the map. Some nav guides suggest using a marker to draw a pointer line down your thumb nail to make it more accurate (or even cutting a notch in the nail!!).

If you do want to store it, and you're wearing a pack, you could roll it and use a couple of lengths of bungee cord to attach it along a strap.

Advertisement