Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bird of prey identification.

• 08-05-2014 1:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭

Need help to identify bird of prey.Was looking through a pair of binos for 5 mins or so.It was about the size of a kestrel or smaller and was perched about 10 ft above ground level. One crow landed near it then another and another.They just sat beside it and made no attempt to chase it away.It seemed to have a grey head with a dark back.At one stage it fanned its tail and it was a very distinctive grey like a cloud or the grey you see on a street lamp post.One of the crows then made a drive at it.And within 30 sec they were way up in the sky tumbling around.Would love to know what it was.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Sounds like a Male Kestrel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭minktrapper

All of tail seemed to be very grey and could not see any mottled colours on it.You might be right though it was just a littte too far away to make any proper id on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Could've been a Merlin but you'd be very lucky person to see one of them.
    More than likely a kestrel tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

If you're in a 'Cuckoo' area it sounds like it could have been one! Dave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Way up in the sky tumbling about after though? Or maybe that was just the crows.

• Advertisement

Haven't heard a Cuckoo here in 15 yrs.But I did once upon a time see 5 Cuckoos together or within 100 yds of each other.And cuckooing to each other.Remarkable sight.

Could've been a Merlin but you'd be very lucky person to see one of them.
    More than likely a kestrel tho

I know a Kestrel used to keep one.The tail was just so strickingly grey.Kind of stood out a mile and was definitely a hawk.What length is a Merlin they are a small bird if I am not mistaken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Haven't heard a Cuckoo here in 15 yrs.But I did once upon a time see 5 Cuckoos together or within 100 yds of each other.And cuckooing to each other.Remarkable sight.

It could be a Cuckoo - they look strikingly like a small grey hawk/falcon at times.

I know a Cuckoo.They have a very long tail.You would never see a Cuckoo flying high in the sky or at least I do not think you would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

Are you sure it wasn't a male Kestrel, it would be smaller than a female and have a grey head and tail as you described. A Merlin would fly low and leave 'crows' for dust! Dave

7S5D6646.jpg
    Image belongs to 'whyulittle'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bonedigger

Just another to throw into the mix - could it have been a peregrine?Grey head and back and they're not that large sizewise.It does have mottling on its tail,but at a distant might not be very noticeable.

Bonedigger wrote: »
    Just another to throw into the mix - could it have been a peregrine?Grey head and back and they're not that large sizewise.It does have mottling on its tail,but at a distant might not be very noticeable.
    Comparatively a lot bigger than a Kestrel though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bonedigger

Comparatively a lot bigger than a Kestrel though.

A female yes,but a male peregrine perhaps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

A peregrine male is still good bit bigger than a kestrel.
    A Merlin is near enough the same size as a kestrel. I've only see none that was rehabilitated and released

Are you sure it wasn't a male Kestrel, it would be smaller than a female and have a grey head and tail as you described. A Merlin would fly low and leave 'crows' for dust! Dave

7S5D6646.jpg
    Image belongs to 'whyulittle'

Yes maybe the above.Excellent picture.Strange that crows would go to perch along side a kestrel though.Don't think I ever saw crows to harass kestrels as they do not pose any threat to them.

Don't let the crow behaviour muddle the issue. They behave the same towards all birds of prey.

I suppose.

Advertisement