Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Efibre Blarney, Cork

Options
  • 08-05-2014 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Lads,

I am relocating to Blarney in the next 2-3 months. From the efibre map it says that it is fibre enabled but when I go to check the address it is saying 'up to 24Mb'.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Hi there,

Can you PM the address you are moving to and I'll check this out.

Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 47 donncha

I'm in the same boat. I was delighted when Blarney was fibre enabled but it turns out my street isn't connected for some reason. A rep I spoke to in December let it slip that it might be 12 months before it's active.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

donncha wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat. I was delighted when Blarney was fibre enabled but it turns out my street isn't connected for some reason. A rep I spoke to in December let it slip that it might be 12 months before it's active.

Hi donncha

The roll out of efibre is based on a phased basis on the terms of commissioning and activation of efibre (VDSL) cabinets serving specific locations. It is accurate that it may well be 12 months before a specific area in the enabled zone from our coverage map is enabled and in most cases it could even be longer as plans are set to continue to grow the fibre network well in to the future.

Al

The roll out of efibre is based on a phased basis on the terms of commissioning and activation of efibre (VDSL) cabinets serving specific locations. It is accurate that it may well be 12 months before a specific area in the enabled zone from our coverage map is enabled and in most cases it could even be longer as plans are set to continue to grow the fibre network well in to the future.

Al
    Hi Alan,

Thanks for the reply. Hopefully work on the cabinets will move faster rather than slower!

Donncha

Al
    Hi Alan,

Thanks for the reply. Hopefully work on the cabinets will move faster rather than slower!

Donncha
    No worries donncha

Hopefully so, In fairness as time goes by the process is predicted to go somewhat faster.

Thanks
    Al

• Advertisement

Hi there,

Sorry to resurrect this six month old thread but I just checked the Eircom "line tester" as I'm still stuck at 24MB ADSL in Blarney a year after efibre rolled out here. I would love to know if there are plans to upgrade the local exchange or not. While it's a hell of a lot better than dial up the upload speeds of ADSL are terrible.

Donncha

Hi there,

Sorry to resurrect this six month old thread but I just checked the Eircom "line tester" as I'm still stuck at 24MB ADSL in Blarney a year after efibre rolled out here. I would love to know if there are plans to upgrade the local exchange or not. While it's a hell of a lot better than dial up the upload speeds of ADSL are terrible.

Donncha
    Hi donncha

If you would like to PM me the land line number I will look further in to this for you.

Thanks
    Al

Done, sent it on Friday evening.

Thanks!

Done, sent it on Friday evening.

Thanks!
    Hi donncha

Your specific area/ housing estatae is currently connected directly to the Blarney exchange, lines connected directly to the exchange utilise different cable path network which currently is not included in the existing plans for efibre - Basically the lines are not served via local efibre cabinets serving efibre.

Works on a new product to offer directly fed lines have been agreed & hopes are that they are will be implemented and available within 12 months. The best advice I can offer is to get back to me in May and hopefully I'll have more news on a solution to this by then,

Thanks
    Al

Thanks Alan. So, that means my house is so close to the main exchange in Blarney there's no cabinet in-between that could be "fibre enabled"?

Would it be likely if I bought a new phone line it would come directly from the exchange too? Or would there be any flexibility on the part of the installer to route it through an efibre cabinet?

• Advertisement

Thanks Alan. So, that means my house is so close to the main exchange in Blarney there's no cabinet in-between that could be "fibre enabled"?

Would it be likely if I bought a new phone line it would come directly from the exchange too? Or would there be any flexibility on the part of the installer to route it through an efibre cabinet?
    No worries donncha

Yes that's basically the reason although in some cases the proximity to the exchange is not a factor in this. If you got a new line it would certainly come from the exchange as all lines in your area are in the same boat. I wish I could give you better news but the good news is that eircom should have an efibre solution for directly fed lines within the next few months.

Al

Hi Alan,

I'm just checking in to see if anything has happened WRT efibre in Blarney. The Eircom site still says only 24MB/s broadband but I'm limited to around 15MB/s DSL so any positive news would be welcome.

Thanks,
    Donncha

Hi Alan,

I'm just checking in to see if anything has happened WRT efibre in Blarney. The Eircom site still says only 24MB/s broadband but I'm limited to around 15MB/s DSL so any positive news would be welcome.

Thanks,
    Donncha
    Hi Donncha

Yes, I can confirm that exchange based efibre is in the process of completion to the blarney exchange (BAI1_E01) - I'm afraid a specific date for launch has not yet been release but indications suggest (to me) that we should have more news on this with 6 to 8 weeks.

Thanks
    Al

Hi Alan,

Thanks for the info. Will check back in two months!

Donncha

Hi Alan,

Thanks for the info. Will check back in two months!

Donncha
    No worries donncha :)

Hopefully I will have good news for you then!

Al

'Afternoon Alan!

I've been checking the Eircom website and in the last few weeks it's saying my number is in an efibre area but the max speed is still 15Mb (and upload speeds are still rubbish). Is this because of my DSL router or is efibre not really available at my address? If I upgrade to a new fibre router will that make things faster now?

Thanks,
    Donncha

I contacted Vodafone and found out that download speeds will be the same as before (15Mb/s) but uploads will at least be increased to 3Mb/s which is a bit better than it was before. 

Disappointing, but better than nothing.

Thanks for your help in the past Alan!

Donncha.

I contacted Vodafone and found out that download speeds will be the same as before (15Mb/s) but uploads will at least be increased to 3Mb/s which is a bit better than it was before. 

Disappointing, but better than nothing.

Thanks for your help in the past Alan!

Donncha.
    Hi donncha

Glad to hear you have a least some possibility of an improved speed.

If there's anything else I can help with let me know

Thanks
    Al

Advertisement