Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIB/Spain questions

• 08-05-2014 2:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭

My family has a place in Majorca and we have decided to invest in a RIB.

My brother and myself will do the RYA powerboat 2 course as a starting point. Would it be best to do that here, or in Majorca? Obviously it is much cheaper to do it here, but is there an advantage to doing it in the area we plan to keep the boat?

Also, we are having difficulty finding a suitable craft over there. If we bought one in, for example, southern England, what would be the best way to get it to the med. How long would it take to go through France? Is it two days, a week, two weeks?

Recommendations on a decent sport RIB, 8 metres ish would be appreciated as well. Quite like the looks of the Cobra at the moment, but they aren't cheap.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I don't have an enormous wealth of experience with ribs, but do the UV rays from the sun not play havoc with the sponsons? Would a similar sized sports boat not be a better beat and a lot more to choose from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Tabnabs wrote: »
    I don't have an enormous wealth of experience with ribs, but do the UV rays from the sun not play havoc with the sponsons? Would a similar sized sports boat not be a better beat and a lot more to choose from?

I'd not thought of that. I see quite a few out there, but usually hanging off the back of a floating palace!

We'd decided on a RIB on the basis that we are less likely to break it. It will probably be used for towing inflatable thingies as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Steve.N

Ribs aren't cheap and they will take more looking after than an equivalent fibreglass boat due to the UV degradation of the tubes.
    I've been a rib owner for years as they are the 4x4 of the boating world and go out in any weather, I can motor through any conditions - not really applicable in the med! I keep mine inside or under covers when not in use.
    Go for over 6 metres if you're buying a rib and stay away from ex-dive boats as they've had a hsrd life - remember that the engine is worth in most cases as much as the hull.
    If I lived in the med then I'd go for a nice speed boat to pull inflatables or sports cruiser that has a canopy to get out of the sun. You'll buy plenty of boat for the same money as a rib.
    The RYA is an irish only qualification - do the equivilant in Spain.

Steve.

My brother and myself will do the RYA powerboat 2 course as a starting point. Would it be best to do that here, or in Majorca? Obviously it is much cheaper to do it here, but is there an advantage to doing it in the area we plan to keep the boat?
    Also, we are having difficulty finding a suitable craft over there. If we bought one in, for example, southern England, what would be the best way to get it to the med. How long would it take to go through France? Is it two days, a week, two weeks?

Recommendations on a decent sport RIB, 8 metres ish would be appreciated as well. Quite like the looks of the Cobra at the moment, but they aren't cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭Glenalla

If you are buying a boat here and taking it to Spain make sure you have the relevant VAT documents/receipt showing vat was paid on the boat otherwise you could be liable for vat when taking it into Spain.

Thanks Steve, some very helpful info there.

We initially looked at a few training centres in Palma and they were offering the RYA course, which is why we opted for it. It's the same certificate you'd get in Dun Laoghaire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

Steve.N wrote: »
    Just to clarify, RYA certs are English and are recognized worldwide. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Steve.N wrote: »
    Ribs aren't cheap and they will take more looking after than an equivalent fibreglass boat due to the UV degradation of the tubes.
    I've been a rib owner for years as they are the 4x4 of the boating world and go out in any weather, I can motor through any conditions - not really applicable in the med! I keep mine inside or under covers when not in use.
    Go for over 6 metres if you're buying a rib and stay away from ex-dive boats as they've had a hsrd life - remember that the engine is worth in most cases as much as the hull.
    If I lived in the med then I'd go for a nice speed boat to pull inflatables or sports cruiser that has a canopy to get out of the sun. You'll buy plenty of boat for the same money as a rib.

Steve.

Stuff under 6 metres not really worth a curse? I'm looking to buy one myself but the price seems to double somewhere between 5 and 6 metres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

I see there that you said you are opting for a RIB as you are less likely to break it. To be honest, this isn’t a great reason to buy one. My first Offshore instructor used to go mental at us (over 20 years ago now) on hopping the sponsons off other boats, marina’s, quay walls etc…. I was always taught, bring a RIB alongside the same way you would a fibre glass hull. Its good practice and makes you a better boat handler. If it’s the Med you are going, buy a traditional sports boat, with a canopy for some relief from the sun. They are laid out better generally than most RIB’s and are probably best suited to your usage.

RIB does not equal = Ridged Inflatable Bumperboat!
    :D:D

This all probably explains why we are having trouble finding a decent RIB. Plenty of cruisers, but not many RIBs.

It is heart breaking looking at boat sales in Majorca though. If only our budget was a bit larger, by about €2million

Advertisement