Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tragic postscript to flood damage court case

Options

Comments

Yeah, jesus that is awful.

Social media is bad enough. This chap staggered around a hotel locked and did something very stupid - but this has happened plenty of times and isn't news at all. The fact that his face and name, where he is from and everything about him (including his break up from fiancée) is in the public domain is awful stuff.

Not reported what happened but I fear the worst.

Tragic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I always only reading about that case today and the judge said this...

Chief Judge Michael Rozenes said that while there were catastrophic consequences of his actions, he did not believe there was anything evil in Mr Gaffney’s conduct.

The hotel was suing Mr Gaffney in a separate action.

May he rest in peace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Tragic

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

Thread already closed on this mans death... No point opening another one really

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Windorah

Absolutely tragic.

I genuinely feel the media has a lot to answer for, not specifically in this case but in general. A certain level of privacy has to be respected. There was no need to name the man and his personal circumstances. I didn't even hear about it here in Australia. I read it in the Irish Independent online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

That Paddy headline in the Australian paper was shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

The story was newsworthy and it would have ran in any country's media. Simply because it was different. The cases going through those courts on a daily basis where people intentionally cause horrible injury to one another are in essence just part of the day to day.

Court reporters look for something that catches the eye and this was one.

There will be an inquest into his death and maybe the actual tipping point may come to light. He was facing almost certain bankruptcy at a young age.

But he had so many other options. I know a bloke here who is bankrupt and he lives better than I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Zambia wrote: »

But he had so many other options. I know a bloke here who is bankrupt and he lives better than I do.
    Same here, I know lots who've come out the other side of bankruptcy here and in the UK. I think in Ireland, particularly amongst older folk there's a great stigma attacked to bankruptcy, hence the lack of political will to foreclose on failed property investors etc. It's only now that there's bankruptcy reform from the old debtors prison laws that were still in place up until the property bust.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

You're not going to like this, but.

People are assholes. People don't care about Nigerians getting abducted. It doesn't sell newspapers. It's not nice. But it is what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭statina

RIP, it's tragic. Social media has a lot to answer for as well, some of the comments on the Irish people living in Australia facebook page were disgraceful. Feel so sorry for his family and friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭6541

RIP, so Sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭DoctorGonzo08

Zambia wrote: »
    The story was newsworthy and it would have ran in any country's media. Simply because it was different. The cases going through those courts on a daily basis where people intentionally cause horrible injury to one another are in essence just part of the day to day.

Court reporters look for something that catches the eye and this was one.

While that argument is true, the way the 'story' was reported was a f**king disgrace, in particular the way the Daily Mail reported it:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2622061/Oh-Crikey-Drunk-Irishman-says-life-ruined-flooding-seven-floors-hotel-causing-500-000-damage.html

Add to that the comments that were posted, and also the information that was provided which led to shocking abuse on Padraig's Facebook page.

This less than 12 months from the radio 'prank' that led to death of a Jacintha Saldanha. Media controls and accountability are non-existant, and there is no point questioning 'morales' of the 'journalists' concerned as they too are non-existant.

Those that felt their opinions matter and left abusive messages and comments are scum, plain and simple, and should be named and shamed for their contribution.

Considering if this had been the case of someone who had caused harm, or killed someone, their identity would have been protected, so why is something harmless open to such ridicule. Printing third hand accounts of a story they have NO facts about is unproffessional. Does it take into account that his drink may have been spiked on the night out? No, they would be objective and resonable, which doesn't print well. Push to them limit and you might get another 'news story'!

I knew the lad and he genuinely hadn't a bad bone in his body. He was generous to a fault and a great friend to so many that had moved over to Australia from the area. What happened, as the Judge in the court rightfully said, was completely out of character and would never have happened in sobriety. The lad was devestated with what had happened and had absolutely no memory of the events. It's just so sad that he had to leave before his time, and under such horrible circumstances. A true loss to so many people who knew him and to his family. A terrible tragedy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

RIP to the guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

While that argument is true, the way the 'story' was reported was a f**king disgrace, in particular the way the Daily Mail reported it:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2622061/Oh-Crikey-Drunk-Irishman-says-life-ruined-flooding-seven-floors-hotel-causing-500-000-damage.html

Add to that the comments that were posted, and also the information that was provided which led to shocking abuse on Padraig's Facebook page.

This less than 12 months from the radio 'prank' that led to death of a Jacintha Saldanha. Media controls and accountability are non-existant, and there is no point questioning 'morales' of the 'journalists' concerned as they too are non-existant.

Those that felt their opinions matter and left abusive messages and comments are scum, plain and simple, and should be named and shamed for their contribution.

Considering if this had been the case of someone who had caused harm, or killed someone, their identity would have been protected, so why is something harmless open to such ridicule. Printing third hand accounts of a story they have NO facts about is unproffessional. Does it take into account that his drink may have been spiked on the night out? No, they would be objective and resonable, which doesn't print well. Push to them limit and you might get another 'news story'!

I knew the lad and he genuinely hadn't a bad bone in his body. He was generous to a fault and a great friend to so many that had moved over to Australia from the area. What happened, as the Judge in the court rightfully said, was completely out of character and would never have happened in sobriety. The lad was devestated with what had happened and had absolutely no memory of the events. It's just so sad that he had to leave before his time, and under such horrible circumstances. A true loss to so many people who knew him and to his family. A terrible tragedy.

Sadly the advent of social Media has given voice to quite frankly people who are best ignored and prior to the internet would have been dismissed as gob****es by those they spoke to.

The entire situation is a **** sandwich for everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

People have been jailed over twitter remarks they made about the teacher that got stabbed in england, people can be held accountable for thoughtless behaviour.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

I dont agree with jailing people for crap they say on Twitter or on Facebook. What about the crassness of it we DO NOT want to go down that road either in Ireland or Australia.

Advertisement