Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rust developing on my Straight Razor

Options
  • 08-05-2014 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭

I bought a straight razor at the start of the year. When I am finished with it, I usually put vaseline along the blade. However, the parts where I didn't put vaseline have started to develop rust. Is this normal and does anybody know what is the best way to clean it.

I presume it is ok to keep shaving with it even with the rust? As I said it is not on the actual blade.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

How are you treating the razor after using?
    Where are you storing it? How often are you using?

I'll dry thoroughly all parts with tissue and lightly oil if storing for a while between shaves. Bathrooms can be humid, might better storing in bedroom.

Hopefully HeF as a regular straight user will advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Raoul wrote: »
    I bought a straight razor at the start of the year. When I am finished with it, I usually put vaseline along the blade. However, the parts where I didn't put vaseline have started to develop rust. Is this normal and does anybody know what is the best way to clean it.

I presume it is ok to keep shaving with it even with the rust? As I said it is not on the actual blade.

Toothpaste and some tissue, just be careful not to slice your fingers cleaning against the blade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Is the red rust or black rust? Red coloured rust is a problem, while black rust is fine (just not pleasing aesthetically).

Also, you say the rust is not on the blade so would it be correct to assume that the rust is around the pivot pin? If the rust is there, just be more careful after you've used the razor. Make sure you use some tissue in at the pivot after the shave and between the scales to make sure there is no moisture.

Where do you store the razor? Make sure you keep it somewhere where moisture and humidity are not an issue.

Removing it could probably be done like tunney said or if you are really lucky some WD40 and a cotton bud may do it if it is only on the surface. Other than that, high grit micromesh could do it, but I don't know what the surface finish will look different to to the rest of the razor.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Raoul

Cheers guys. I have attached some pictures. It is basically on the parts of the razor that were exposed. Bit annoyed as I (or my gf) spent over 100 euro on it (not loads I know but still) and I wanted it to look really nice for as long as possible.

As for care I leave it sitting on my bathroom counter with my safety razor, stainless steel bowl and stand. I also had a whipped dog for a year which has never developed rust while being cared for in the same manner. Which is basically use it, dry it, tissue between the scales, few strokes on the strop's canvas side then a little bit of vaseline on it (I did just put this on the blade though :().

I've never seen rust form like that on a razor. It almost looks like the tail has been submerged in water for a while.

I would say that you shouldn't store it in the bathroom any more. Moisture or humdity is definitely an issue.

Try removing the rust with a cloth and some toothpaste first. If that doesnt work, go get some metal polish and try that. Polish will be the least damaging way to get rid of it.

• Advertisement

It's a bit strange though that the whipped dog I have hasn't formed any rust though despite being in the same bathroom.

Would you imagine it's a major problem? I hate that it won't be as aesthetically pleasing.

Does the razor you got from whipped dog have lots of patina on it? If it does, that is more than likely protecting it from whatever caused the rust on this new one.

If you move it out of the bathroom to somewhere drier and less humid then the rust should stop spreading. You should try remove the red rust as soon as you can. The longer it's left there the more damage it will do. This damage wont affect the function of the razor but will just make it look worse (it will leave behind deeper pits).

If you leave it in the bathroom the rust will eventually get to the pivot pin of the razor and that could affect the function of the razor.

hitemfrank wrote: »
    Does the razor you got from whipped dog have lots of patina on it? If it does, that is more than likely protecting it from whatever caused the rust on this new one.

If you move it out of the bathroom to somewhere drier and less humid then the rust should stop spreading. You should try remove the red rust as soon as you can. The longer it's left there the more damage it will do. This damage wont affect the function of the razor but will just make it look worse (it will leave behind deeper pits).

If you leave it in the bathroom the rust will eventually get to the pivot pin of the razor and that could affect the function of the razor.
    I don't know what patina is. I have moved it out of the bathroom already and I tried the toothpaste option only had a minute or two and it took some off but not a lot. The rust doesn't really look that red, looks worse in the picture. I will try and get it off after the weekend. The rust just came on it so sickly though, matter of a week or two.

Does the other razor look similar to your new razor (shiney) or is it dull and look darker/have some black spots etc?

It is more dull looking. You actually had the razor, don't know if you remember though? :)

• Advertisement

Raoul wrote: »
    It is more dull looking. You actually had the razor, don't know if you remember though? :)

Oh yeah. Tortoise shell scales if I remember correctly?

The patina will generally protect a razor from developing full on rust so thats probably saved it from anything forming on it. Once you have moved them both from the bathroom you really shouldn't have this issue again.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Something I got into a habit of doing with other blades, (mostly swords) is making sure they're stored with packets of silca gel. You get silca packets in nearly every type of packaging these days so just save it as you go

Advertisement