Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farm-Direct Food: Kildare

Options
  • 08-05-2014 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭

There's a new community farm initiative in Celbridge called Derrybeg Farm
    www.derrybegfarm.ie

The deal is: members pay, farmers work on the farm, members get a weekly box of veg. Good year, we all rejoice in the bountiful surplus. Bad year, we all take the hit, not just the farmers. All through the year, the contents of the boxes will change, and will wax and wane according to the seasons, harvest, what took well, what didn't take well, what the weather was like, etc etc.

There's three levels of membership/size of weekly boxes:
    €300 (April - December) — approx. 15 euros worth per week
    €450 (April - December) — approx. 11 euros worth per week
    €600 (April - December) — approx. 7.50 euros worth per week

Pickup points are in Celbridge (Espresso Project) and Maynooth (Atlas, formerly Boss Hoggs) but afaik, most members are willing to pick up for others living in their general area if they're already making the trip for themselves...

Two weeks ago we got the first box of leafy greens. Last week we got to visit the farm for the first time and got our second box of leafy greens + radishes.
    Bm5bAjuIEAEva5k.jpg:thumb
    It's only just getting off the ground, but it's so exciting, I had to come on and let ye'all know in case ye wanted to get in on the action too.

I know there's a thread in the Kildare forum about this, but I thought it might be appropriate to have a thread here about it too. Disclaimer: before I read the thread on the Kildare forum, I knew nothing about it. Wasn't attached in any way to it. Now, I've drank the kool-aid. I'm like a kid I'm so excited. Don't know what the hell is going to happen but it's exactly the kind of experiment I'm all in for.

Advertisement