Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a house, bank statement to 3rd person, is it ok?

Options
  • 08-05-2014 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hi,

Can anyone give advice please,

My friend is buying house, and the company who sells a house asking to confirm that he has enough money to buy a house, because there is someone else who interested in buy this house too.

So they ask for bank statement to send them by email, which will show how much money I have. I just wondering is it ok to give such sensitive details? Or there is something wrong :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Jasper79

I've never heard of it and would see no reason to do it.

A Copy of approval in principle at a push I would send but definetely not a bank statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭NeoSD5

Jasper79 wrote: »
    I've never heard of it and would see no reason to do it.

A Copy of approval in principle at a push I would send but definetely not a bank statement.

Thought the same. What could happen if I send it? If I erase all info like acc numbers, and so on, is it ok then to send?

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Jasper79

I still wouldn't send it with or without the account numbers blanked.

Your Bank statement won't show if you are mortgage approved or how much for, it's a pointless excercise really.

Jasper79 wrote: »
    I still wouldn't send it with or without the account numbers blanked.

Your Bank statement won't show if you are mortgage approved or how much for, it's a pointless excercise really.

Thanks for advice;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

Plus if the hose is 200K and you have 80K saved then they will know you can easily get a mortgage for more than 200k and may try to push the price up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

NeoSD5 wrote: »
    My friend is buying house, and the company who sells a house asking to confirm that he has enough money to buy a house, because there is someone else who interested in buy this house too.
    Agree with the above. You'll find the other person will bid 5 or 10 thousand less than what the company thinks your mate can get hold of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

All I can go by is my own situation, I provided statements to prove I had the funds to buy the house. The agent needs proof that you can back up your offer before going sale agreed.

Also I had to provide same statements to solicitor to show where the funds were coming from for anti money laundering purposes.

All valid reasons to provide, I saw no issue in providing.

All I can go by is my own situation, I provided statements to prove I had the funds to buy the house. The agent needs proof that you can back up your offer before going sale agreed.

Also I had to provide same statements to solicitor to show where the funds were coming from for anti money laundering purposes.

All valid reasons to provide, I saw no issue in providing.

Thanks that's a good info

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

NeoSD5 wrote: »
    Thanks that's a good info
    Just don't show your hand. Most banks have no problem issuing a letter saying you can afford X, or have Y amount in your account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

the_syco wrote: »
    Most banks have no problem issuing a letter saying you can afford X
    I wouldn't leave it that open ended. I'd get a letter that matched the asking price, maybe. Or a few quid below. As has been said above, you're weakening your position.

• Advertisement
Advertisement