Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

Rang to cancel and he offered me €15 off for 6 months. I politely refused and he then put me on hold and came back offering 6 months half price. Probably could have pushed for 9 but I was happy enough with 6.

The thing that swung me to sticking with Virgin was the 1TB limit with Eir. Eir told me that if you're using that much, you're classed as a business. Even though I don't expect to be regularly going over it, I also don't want to have to keep checking my usage levels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

You'd assume many of their rights deals are with UK networks and probably negotiated in GBP £. Given the slide in Sterling against the Euro, shouldn't put bills be going down?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭coach22

I phoned to cancel the 240mb broadband package and got offered the 6months for half price so took it.

The email confirmation I got sent is still including the self sevice discount which I wasn't ecpecting! Anyone else get this?

So I am not getting any price increase and got 6 months for half price

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

coach22 wrote: »
    I phoned to cancel the 240mb broadband package and got offered the 6months for half price so took it.

The email confirmation I got sent is still including the self sevice discount which I wasn't ecpecting! Anyone else get this?

Yes.
    Haven't decided what to do about it, yet........
    Perhaps we should coordinate how we approach this conundrum here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

The price increase (Self service charge removal) isn't until 1st Jan.

pippip wrote: »
    The price increase (Self service charge removal) isn't until 1st Jan.

Yes- but our e-mails confirming our new contracts- factor this discount into the headline monthly price we pay- when they are in fact going to be yanking this discount on the 1st Jan.

I.e. we have a contract that Virgin are going to be breaching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Yes- but our e-mails confirming our new contracts- factor this discount into the headline monthly price we pay- when they are in fact going to be yanking this discount on the 1st Jan.

I.e. we have a contract that Virgin are going to be breaching.

When I got my half price deal via chat I asked the rep would the price change in January she said it wouldn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭pissed

I just renewed my contract last week and the self service discount was included and mentioned in the email sent to me. Last night I received an email informing me the self service discount was ending in January and my bill would increase by €3.50. I contacted CS this morning and had it out with them on the phone. When I was renewing the sales rep clearly stated my bills would not increase.

They checked the recording and found in my favour. The increase will still appear on my bill but they have agreed to credit my account to counter this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭Shanegggg

I rang today and was speaking to lovely girl from the loyalty team who knew all excuses and had valid answers for almost all of my arguments!
    They know they're the best for broadband and better than Eir for TV so it's a lot harder to negotiate this year, especially since Sky aren't offering any deals at the moment.
    Eventually it came down to Eir's latest deal of 600 euro for 1 year with a free tablet (granted an 18 month contract) and the 6 months half price (360 MB BB/TV/Telephone) they were offering, which meant Virgin were 300 euro more expensive for the year.

I asked if there was anything more she could do to narrow the gap and she went off for 5 mins to talk to her supervisor and came back with the 9 months half price. :D

Definitely much tougher to get this year and I must hand it to her, she knew all the ins and outs of what was available from all the companies. Definitely didn't make it easy!

• Advertisement

Shanegggg wrote: »
    I rang today and was speaking to lovely girl from the loyalty team who knew all excuses and had valid answers for almost all of my arguments!
    They know they're the best for broadband and better than Eir for TV so it's a lot harder to negotiate this year, especially since Sky aren't offering any deals at the moment.
    Eventually it came down to Eir's latest deal of 600 euro for 1 year with a free tablet (granted an 18 month contract) and the 6 months half price (360 MB BB/TV/Telephone) they were offering, which meant Virgin were 300 euro more expensive for the year.

I asked if there was anything more she could do to narrow the gap and she went off for 5 mins to talk to her supervisor and came back with the 9 months half price. :D

Definitely much tougher to get this year and I must hand it to her, she knew all the ins and outs of what was available from all the companies. Definitely didn't make it easy!

+1
    I got asked whether anyone in the house had a gaming console- or used apps for HD or 4K streaming- and was given the stats on the bandwidth that these use individually............
    They really have done their homework.
    Also had the pricelist for Siro broadband- on hand- and were able to tell me I wouldn't have it (accurately) until at least next April, and exactly what it would cost..........

They got someone to do their homework on us all guys..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

@Shanegggg

Have you got discounts in past like the 9months half and 6 months half?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭djmj

I have 240mb broadband package + phone and if VM will offer 6 months half price total is 27.5*6 + 55 * 6 =495
    Eir 35*6+40*6=450 - 50 cash back = €400 even if someone need international calls Eir: 40*6+45*6=510 - 50 cash back =460 still better then VM. Only if they offer 9 months half price this will be less then Eir.
    I know that this is not this same speed but in reality you will not use 240 or 360.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prefect_1998

How long after you agreed to new contract dis you get your confirmation mail

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭Mike1961

Rang them just there. I'm on 240mb broadband and (largely unused) home phone package.

First offer was €41 pm for 6 months (€15 off) and full price thereafter (€56 pm). Told him that wasn't enough and he immediately offered my the 6 months @ half price deal (€28pm). I couldn't talk him into the 9 month half price deal but I'm still happy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭darconio

Same here I phoned the loyalty dept and asked straight away if they could give me 6th months half price as I would accept it no question asked: she came back to me within a couple of minutes and agreed on the 6th months deal
    That's me sorted ...until next december/increase

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 418 ✭✭antomack

Just renegotiated my in-laws package, 240MB, Mix TV, Anytime Mobile and Multiroom, supposed to be going up to €96 in January (€1,152 annual).

Father in law rang last week and best he was offered was €74 x 6 and then €84 x 6 (€948 annual). Rang today myself and rep kept stipulating that that was the best they could do as we had 6 months half price last year and 9 months the year before so system wouldn't allow anything more. Detailed that I could get similar package other than broadband from Eir for €630 before cashback and didn't see point of staying. Came back to say that Eir was an 18 month contract but I countered that Eir for the past few years have generally increased their prices twice per year so would be in position to renegotiate or leave by the time the year was up.

Rep put me on hold and then came back with a further €5 off for 6 months which I continued to say wasn't of interest. Put on hold again and came back to offer €54.50 x 6 and then €84 x 6 (€831 annual). Tried pushing for the 9 month half price offer but no budging. Confirmed with rep that the monthly prices included the January price increases and was assured that it did. In laws have no interest in switching so left it to them to decide and they went with the €831.

Overall spent about 35 minutes on the call, it's a case of having all the relevant figures for the competitors to refer to. For me that was Eir for €630, vodafone for €720 and Sky for €900 all of which were cheaper than VM.

If it was up to me I'd have switched to Eir for the additional savings but like a lot of people the in-laws don't like change plus the mother-in-law heard people complaining on Joe Duffy about Eir so she wouldn't like to go to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭garyskeepers

i have to say,, when i called last month to cancel,, they did feck all for me,,, just cancelled.

i would have taken the broadband at 6 months half price... i cant remember how much they offered, but even at the "discounted" price it was still higher that sky broadband. considerably,, like 16 euro dearer per month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭coach22

How long after you agreed to new contract dis you get your confirmation mail

About 5 minutes after getting off the phone I had the email

Ranelite wrote: »
    Yes

No you cant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,136 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

My confirmation email took two days to arrive. Agreed my first 9 month deal (have had two 6 month half price deals) last wednesday but didn't get the email until Friday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

What's the best price people are getting for broadband only? Thinking of getting rid of the broadband, TV and phone (we don't even have a phone) package.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Q&A

Having checked with Eir this is my plan as well.

Currently on 6 months half price so worth my while waiting to the last minute.
    Up to VM to price match, anything that costs more than €400 for 12 months and I'm gone.

djmj wrote: »
    I have 240mb broadband package + phone and if VM will offer 6 months half price total is 27.5*6 + 55 * 6 =495
    Eir 35*6+40*6=450 - 50 cash back = €400 even if someone need international calls Eir: 40*6+45*6=510 - 50 cash back =460 still better then VM. Only if they offer 9 months half price this will be less then Eir.
    I know that this is not this same speed but in reality you will not use 240 or 360.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭bromley52

Q&A wrote: »
    Having checked with Eir this is my plan as well.

Currently on 6 months half price so worth my while waiting to the last minute.
    Up to VM to price match, anything that costs more than €400 for 12 months and I'm gone.

For the small amount you are saving I would avoid Eir. They are fine if you never have to contact them but if you run into any problems they are a nightmare to deal with. Depending on where you are their bb is nowhere near the advertised speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I thought eir have a 18 month contract. That always put me off.

About 5 minutes after getting off the phone I had the email

Ditto- with the 360Mb one here-
    I.e. it says after all offers have expired- my 3.51 discount is intact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭geecee

Just on to them there and they refused to budge from 15 off (79 to 64) for 6 months
    Very unimpressed when I see all and sundry getting half price for 6 months here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

geecee wrote: »
    Just on to them there and they refused to budge from 15 off (79 to 64) for 6 months

Just ring them again tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭bromley52

geecee wrote: »

Make sure you are talking to the loyalty team on 061272190.
    Talking to anyone else is usually a waste of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭cgc5483

Noxin wrote: »
    Just ring them again tomorrow.

Yes keep saying no and ask how you go about cancelling the service. I eventually got the half price for 6 months on the chat service. Took a while. Was 1st told there were no promotions, asked to cancel and they told me they would transfer me to customer loyalty. They offered 15 off for 6 months and said no, how do i cancel please. Then they asked what would take to stay and told them nothing less than 6 months half price which they then offered.

Advertisement