Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭deep1

deep1 wrote: »
    Tried myself just to check the offer and best they can offer is 10€ off for 9 months, getting 6 month half price from last few years. I did ask for 9 month but they can't offer me.

Didn't push him too much as will be going to sky as it work out much cheaper even with 9 month half price. Sick of yearly increase at this stage.
    deep1 wrote: »
    Called again with intention to cancel, guy asked me to wait while he check better offer, came back with 6 month half price and said can’t offer 9 months as I am getting 6 months off last 2 years.
    Only have BB though so doubt will get better than that!

Called again to give cancellation notice and guy offered straight 9 month half price offer so 29.50 for 9 months and 59 for 3 months, best deal so far I have got in few years with them, that's me done for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Acey10

Just rang and was offered half price for 6 months which I declined. Is there much difference between 240 mb and the 100 mb that sky offer? Was looking at switcher.ie what's digiweb, magnet or pure like? I'm living in Swords, Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

EUR 32 for 360Mb BB and phone package for 9 months, EUR 64 for 3 months, 12 month contract.

€40 p/m for 12 months if my calculations are right. That is a very good deal. Virgin must be under a lot of pressure to retain customers. I guess they can go low as they own their infrastructure. It will help to keep eir, vodafone and sky honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭pj12332

I rang twice today. First guy offered 10 off for six months as before. Said no. Wouldnt budge. Rang back and got another lad who offered me the same. I said no, then after about 15 mins was offered 15 off for six months and I said no and went to hang up. He went away and spoke to team leader and got six months half price approved. I pushed For the 9 and he said that it simply was not on my account. I've had half price discounts every year for five years. So 30 mins in I just accepted the six months half price to be done with it. It took three people for me to get that and I'm experienced doing it. I think the longer you're getting discounts the harder it is to get 9 months. But sure I'll take the six and move on. I'm only on 240mb I wouldn't even notice if it was only 100mb.

So 29 euro for six months sounds good to me. Then 59 for other six. So 528 for the year. Note: the max speed sky can offer me is only 12mb. No point paying 360 a year for 12mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mileycactus

got 9 mths half price 59 thereafter for broadband only. I let them go thru the speil, 15eu off then 6mths half price best offer. then i told them i read on boards.ie that people are getting 9mths half price and she immediately gave it to me..

i think just mention boards.ie and you'll get 9mths straight away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

what number are you guys ringing
    I cant call that 1908 from work

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

So rang virgin and got half price on my 360 meg broadband and home phone for 9 months....stick to your guns dont settle for the 10 euro off or the 6 months half price...didnt take much effort to get 9 months half price :-)

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Seve OB wrote: »
    what number are you guys ringing
    I cant call that 1908 from work

01-2458000

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

tom1ie wrote: »
    Keep us informed I’m in the same boat!:pac:

Rang them up there now, was offered a deal for €44 for 6 months and then €59 for remainder, turned them down, told them that ideally only thing which will keep me is a 9 month half price offer, she put me on hold and came back and said, sorry, you only have phone and BB, plus Ive had two 9 month half price and 2 6 month half price offers in the last 4 years, so most she could offer me was another 6 months half price. I accepted it then.

Rang then back again after only getting offered six months half price. The guy on the phone said he would ask his manager to put 9 months on as I said I was leaving. Be came back five mins later and told me the manager said I had half price or 9 months off for 5 years and they did a check on the available services in my area and sky can only offer me 12mb so they would not go past six months. The lad was really sound he was definitely being genuine. Seems to be the manager who won't budge. Can't believe they checked the service at my address. I'm shocked!!

• Advertisement

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Rang them up there now, was offered a deal for €44 for 6 months and then €59 for remainder, turned them down, told them that ideally only thing which will keep me is a 9 month half price offer, she put me on hold and came back and said, sorry, you only have phone and BB, plus Ive had two 9 month half price and 2 6 month half price offers in the last 4 years, so most she could offer me was another 6 months half price. I accepted it then.

Exact same here..and they even went and checked out my address and told me that 12mb is all I can get with sky?!?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

pj12332 wrote: »
    Exact same here..and they even went and checked out my address and told me that 12mb is all I can get with sky?!?!!

well i hope they check my speeds next year :pac::cool: as customer loyalty wont cut for me then.

speeds quoted are actually correct since whatever speed is advertised you still have to divide it by 8, forgotten completely whats the theory behind it but 12mb is max speed file size that can be downloaded smth to do with bits and bytes and speed vs space, to put it simply if you have full un-throttled connection with good server and can get 100MBs the file whatever is being fetched would be 12mb/s, in other words 1gig file would take 1.20 minutes to download not 10 seconds in perfect scenario.

Ye would be a load of sh*te I couldn't even say anything to them at that point. It's working out at 528 for year with 240mb. We had 360 and simply did't notice a difference so went back to 240 few years ago. I'd say 100mb would be more than enough for out apartment. Gonna take the six months and just leave it now.

Oh I don't think you understand what I meant. There is no fibre in our area 12mb is literally the max speed. So 12/12 is 1 hahaha. There is no 100mb here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭bromley52

Got 9 months half price (32euro) on 360BB and phone. Well worth a 10min call.
    Stick it out and you will get 9 months. A supervisor had to approve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

scamalert wrote: »
    well i hope they check my speeds next year :pac::cool: as customer loyalty wont cut for me then.

speeds quoted are actually correct since whatever speed is advertised you still have to divide it by 8, forgotten completely whats the theory behind it but 12mb is max speed file size that can be downloaded smth to do with bits and bytes and speed vs space, to put it simply if you have full un-throttled connection with good server and can get 100MBs the file whatever is being fetched would be 12mb/s, in other words 1gig file would take 1.20 minutes to download not 10 seconds in perfect scenario.

Download speeds are generally quoted in bits, e.g. 240 Megabits (Mb).
    File sizes are generally quoted in bytes e.g. 500 Megabytes (MB).
    There are 8 bits in a byte. So that's why you have the difference.

On topic, I'll have to give them a ring tomorrow and see what they offer me, I think I had 6 months half price last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

01-2458000

thanks, just rang them

was offered straight away to hold my current price with 10 off for 6 months than back to 59.

told him to cut to the chase and I want 9 months at half price. he said no way because I only have phone and broadband.

I mentioned boards.... he has put me on hold.... taking the next call no doubt, while pretending to speak with his manager :D

came back and offered me connect 240 bundle at 59, 6 months at half price or 9 months at 15 off.

taking the 6 months at half price..... happy enough with that TBH

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Also got an email and I'm seriously considering leaving - I'm on the 240mb package.
    I check the speed regularly and normally get 35-45mbps

I've spoken to Sky and Eir both say I'd get 18-20mbps for nearly half the price of Virgin
    If your laptop is older then 45 or so might be the most it can ever get using wireless. I know a guy who complained as I think he had 320 but had it only 45 or so on the laptop, they came out to check and just turned out it was the old laptop. As there was no fault I think they tried to charge him for a call out. It was wireless G or N, can't remember exactly.

You do need to hardwire it to see full speeds, and even then I expect some older ethernet cards would never be able to fully take advantage of a 320 feed.

Sky & Eir are also more likely to estimate highly. I know in my friends house eir only gets 4.5 average in speed tests, not sure what package it is but that is pretty bad. Plugging in my own virgin modem in the same house gets 40-45mb on the same laptop wirelessly, and that was only on a 60mb virgin package (no longer available)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

rubadub wrote: »
    If your laptop is older then 45 or so might be the most it can ever get using wireless.

Google the make and model of the laptop.
    It may be capable of having its wireless card upgraded.
    You can get various different a/c cards on ebay for 20-30 quid.
    Note- some manufacturers have a 'whitelist' in the bios- so you can only use hw upgrades from specific manufacturers (such as Atheros for example). Do a good Google first........

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

So 29 euro for six months sounds good to me. Then 59 for other six.

Interesting. The best they did for me last year (when I played the "eir can do XYZ for ABC money" they gave me 28 for 6 months and 56 for the remaining 6 months. (56 euro was their full price for 240mb broadband last year).

bromley52 wrote: »

Mine went to supervisor then manager. Have you got discounts for many years? This is my fifth. They quoted that and also said max speed sky could give me is 22mb wired connection so there was no option to give me 9 months.

• Advertisement

Interesting. The best they did for me last year (when I played the "eir can do XYZ for ABC money" they gave me 28 for 6 months and 56 for the remaining 6 months. (56 euro was their full price for 240mb broadband last year).

How's it going, why do you find it interesting? Not being smart ha

bromley52 wrote: »

How's it going, how many years have you had a discount with them? They told me as this is my fifth they wouldn't do 9 months again.

Question for broadband and phone customers only.

Has anyone managed to get 9 months half price this time and have gotten half price deals for the last 3/4/5 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,130 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I'm on BB 240 + phone. I was offered €15 off for 6 months initially, but said I wanted 6 months half price and quoted boards and got it no problem. I'm with them 3.5 years and I think started on €45 a month, and would have been at €60.50 after this. I'd never bothered haggling before but was getting seriously fed up with these price hikes, a 33% price increase in just over 3 years is a piss take. The Eircom speeds in my building are terrible so I can't really leave them unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Nerd Queen

I'm on BB 240 + phone. I was offered €15 off for 6 months initially, but said I wanted 6 months half price and quoted boards and got it no problem. I'm with them 3.5 years and I think started on €45 a month, and would have been at €60.50 after this. I'd never bothered haggling before but was getting seriously fed up with these price hikes, a 33% price increase in just over 3 years is a piss take. The Eircom speeds in my building are terrible so I can't really leave them unfortunately.

I did the same as you and still only got the initial offer

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭b1964

Question for broadband and phone customers only.

Has anyone managed to get 9 months half price this time and have gotten half price deals for the last 3/4/5 years?

I got the 6 month price deals for the last 3 years , fed up with this annual increase nonsense , I rang and told them I wanted to cancel , was asked would I be willing to talk about it and I said , I would only accept 9 months at half price , as I could go to sky for 30 euro a month , he asked me to wait while he went to talk with his manager , was waiting for a few minutes and he said they would give me the 9 months at half price , but this was a one off deal , I accepted and asked for a confirmation email , which I received about an hour later. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭Inviere

I'm on BB 240 + phone. I was offered €15 off for 6 months initially, but said I wanted 6 months half price and quoted boards and got it no problem.

Just done the same, got the 6 months at half price (phone & bb). I never really ring up to get deals, so I assume that probably went in my favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,081 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Can i ask how much you got it for per month? 12 month contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,130 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

12 month contract. He stuck me on a €59 a month plan, as it had the same contents as the package I already had and was actually lower than the €60.50 they were going to hike it to.

Their website says you can get broadband, phone and TV for €59/month but I'm happier leaving the TV out and getting the discount.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭Inviere

12 month contract. He stuck me on a €59 a month plan, as it had the same contents as the package I already had and was actually lower than the €60.50 they were going to hike it to.

Same. Brings it to €29.50 for 6 months, then up to €59 a month thereafter, which is lower than the €61'ish I was going to be paying on the old package.

Advertisement