Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

pj12332 wrote: »
    Honestly ring back and ask for retention. Dont give up. Took 4 or 5 calls and different people for me.

Yeh I will. I'll leave it a few days though.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭pj12332

Also just to let people know. Got six months yesterday and he hadn't even put it through! So lucky I rang back.

Yeh I will. I'll leave it a few days though.

I didn't even care. I literally hung up and just rang straight back. Just depends who you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

Honestly ring back and ask for retention. Dont give up. Took 4 or 5 calls and different people for me.

Why bother? You go change to another provider and they'll give you that from the outset.

The sooner people talk with their feet the sooner this stupid game will stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭rwald7

I'm on 240mb BB and phone, no TV. I haven't actually got the price increase email yet. Just rang through to the loyalty team there (spoke to a lady in the Philippines), I got the 9 months half price, all done and dusted in less than 5 minutes.

I've had 9 months half price for the past 2 years, and 6 months the year before that. This one was actually the easiest one to get, barely any haggling at all!

• Advertisement

rwald7 wrote: »
    I'm on 240mb BB and phone, no TV. I haven't actually got the price increase email yet. Just rang through to the loyalty team there (spoke to a lady in the Philippines), I got the 9 months half price, all done and dusted in less than 5 minutes.

I've had 9 months half price for the past 2 years, and 6 months the year before that. This one was actually the easiest one to get, barely any haggling at all!

I was categorically told if I had the 9 months last year I wouldn't get it. Took about 3 hours of calls to get it. What number and option did you choose on the phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,073 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I am currently on 240mb BB, phone and tv.....for.....94 euro a month....
    Contract up next month.
    New sign up 64 euro per month for 12 months
    Total cost 768 euro

The best offer I got on live chat
    3 months half price (so 47 x 3)
    9 months full price (94 euro!!!!)
    Total cost 987 euro

So 219 euro a month MORE for being a loyal customer lol

gmisk wrote: »
    Contract up next month.
    Total cost 768 euro

Total cost 987 euro

Let it cancel. Get sky TV. Much easier to get good discounts each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

I'm on 240mb bb, home phone (not used) and TV. I've had several 6 months 1/2, 6 months full and just the 1 9 month 1/2 price offer over the years.

I rang yesterday and was offered after a bit of haggling, going away to talk to supervisor another 6 months 1/2, 6 months full but at €4 more for the 1/2 price months and €10 more for the full 6...so an extra €84 over last year in total.

Told them I'd think about it and call back but really thinking about cancelling altogether. €850 is a lot of money for 12 months tv/broadband

Contract up next month.
    Total cost 768 euro

Total cost 987 euro

Also sky miles better anyway for TV. Then take out virgin broadband as new customer once it's cut off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Contract up next month.
    Total cost 768 euro

Total cost 987 euro

I quoted the new customer offer of 64 per month and was told it simply wasn't available to me either even though I've been with them for 10+ years.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭rwald7

I was categorically told if I had the 9 months last year I wouldn't get it. Took about 3 hours of calls to get it. What number and option did you choose on the phone?

I used an old Limerick number I have for the loyalty team, 061-272190.

Think sky is doing 6 months half price now. Get it put in. Then every year if you give notice to sky and actually let it get cut off for. Few hours even you can go online and get 40% off the whole package to come back. I do it every year. It's 40/50% off everything if you do it that way every year.

And I keep virgin broadband seperate..it's much better than sky anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 33,073 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Also sky miles better anyway for TV. Then take out virgin broadband as new customer once it's cut off.
    Cheapest virgin broadband
    €558 for year
    Plus 313 for cheapest sky package so not much saving.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭paul-2008

Just off the phone now - have 240mb broadband package. It was increasing to 59/m. Got the usual 15 off for 6 months, then for 9 months. Eventually went to "talk to her supervisor" and offered 6 months half price, best she could do. I know people have gotten it for 9 months but what harm, happy enough with that

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭geecee

have 240 MB BB and Horizon Max here. Going up to €94(currently out of contract)
    First offer after a long wait was €79 for 3 months and €94 for 3 months

Told here that i knew people were getting 6 & 9 months half price, but that i would settle for 6 months half price for a quick deal, After 30 seconds on hold she agreed to €47 PM for 6 months and €94 for the next 6 months

Could probably have eventually got the 9 months, but i didn't want the hassle!

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭geecee

Duplicate post, mods please delete

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Just received my confirmation e mail today. I got my 9 months half price deal yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Wanton

I managed 9 months half price.

I worked out average monthly cost of 12 months with Virgin, Voda and Eir based on current offers.

So I had my alternative prices ready and when he tried to stick with 6 months half price I said I wasnt willing to stay with VM when for 50c more a month I could get FTTH and I was sick of VM price increases. He crumbled immediately and gave me 9 months.

As others have said, have your numbers ready, show your ready to leave and not just chancing your arm for a discount.

To save others the hassle,
    This is based on FTTH vs €59 a month VM 240mb broadband and phone.

Vodafone, 18 month contract, with current sign up offer it works out @ average €45 a month (€810 for 18 months)
    Digiweb, 12 month contract, with current sign up offer it works out @ average €47 a month (€570 for 12 months)
    Virgin, 6 months half price works out @ average €44.25 a month (€531 for 12 months)
    Virgin, 9 months half price works out @ average €36.87 a month (€442 for 12 months)

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Has anyone renegotiated while mid way through their contract? I started my contract with Virgin in Jan (6 months half price, 6 months full), so i've got a few payments at the full price left to go. I assume that's good leverage, since if I were to leave and go elsewhere I get both a new customer savings and I save a few months of full price virgin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭Amouar

Called them today after agreeing to 6 months half price 2 days ago. Told them that I'm not happy with the deal I got and that I will be seeking to cancel under the 14 days cooling off period unless they offer me 9 months half price.

After over 20 minutes on the phone with them, they agreed to cancel my previous offer and apply 9 months half price to my account.

Happy to save an extra 88 euros over the 12 months contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭deep1

Has anyone renegotiated while mid way through their contract? I started my contract with Virgin in Jan (6 months half price, 6 months full), so i've got a few payments at the full price left to go. I assume that's good leverage, since if I were to leave and go elsewhere I get both a new customer savings and I save a few months of full price virgin.

I was in same boat, only paid 2 months full price of 6 month half and 6 month full deal last year and got a new contract with 9 month half price.
    If you got mail about price increase then you can negotiate.

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Amouar wrote: »
    Called them today after agreeing to 6 months half price 2 days ago. Told them that I'm not happy with the deal I got and that I will be seeking to cancel under the 14 days cooling off period unless they offer me 9 months half price.

After over 20 minutes on the phone with them, they agreed to cancel my previous offer and apply 9 months half price to my account.

Happy to save an extra 88 euros over the 12 months contract.

Are you avoiding the 3.50 increase in January with that deal?

From looking around, Vodafone, Eir and Sky can provide me with broadband on intro deals for €35 a month (€420 for the year). Sure it'd be slower, but still saying i'd get 60MB from them. Compare that to my current virgin deal of €504 a year. 6 months half and 6 months full on their new base price of €59 would have me paying about 100 extra a year for BB.

Are you avoiding the 3.50 increase in January with that deal?

From looking around, Vodafone, Eir and Sky can provide me with broadband on intro deals for €35 a month (€420 for the year). Sure it'd be slower, but still saying i'd get 60MB from them. Compare that to my current virgin deal of €504 a year. 6 months half and 6 months full on their new base price of €59 would have me paying about 100 extra a year for BB.

I will be paying 29.5 for 9 months and 59 for the remaining 3 months. This includes a landline phone with unlimited Irish calls (landline and mobile) + 400 minutes to EU landlines.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I will be paying 29.5 for 9 months and 59 for the remaining 3 months. This includes a landline phone with unlimited Irish calls (landline and mobile) + 400 minutes to EU landlines.

Is that @ 240Mb or 360Mb?

Is that @ 240Mb or 360Mb?

240Mb.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I'm 32 for 9 and 64 for 3 with 360Mb........ Figured it was worth the couple of quid extra for the greater speed (and I do have it as per speedtest.net).

I rang to confirm my deal. Somehow have been given 27.50 for 9 months and 55 for last 3 months. I have 240mb BB and phone. Thrilled with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭raxy

Just rang myself. Had been on 240mb, no tv. Last year I got 6 months half price 6 months full which would have been up next month anyway so I would have been looking for a better offer anyway.
    Said I was cancelling due to the price & that I would look for a cheaper offer elsewhere, was offered 15 off for 6 months. I said no so he said that's fine I'll cancel your account. No better offer or any attempt to talk me in to it.
    Probably the first time virgin haven't tried to say how much slower any other provider is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Wickerman1

I started a 12 month contract last June, I haven't received a price increase email. Can I still threaten to terminate my contract!

Advertisement