Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Skelet0n

Wickerman1 wrote: »
    I started a 12 month contract last June, I haven't received a price increase email. Can I still threaten to terminate my contract!

Mines up in January and still no email for me either. Weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭pj12332

raxy wrote: »
    Just rang myself. Had been on 240mb, no tv. Last year I got 6 months half price 6 months full which would have been up next month anyway so I would have been looking for a better offer anyway.
    Said I was cancelling due to the price & that I would look for a cheaper offer elsewhere, was offered 15 off for 6 months. I said no so he said that's fine I'll cancel your account. No better offer or any attempt to talk me in to it.
    Probably the first time virgin haven't tried to say how much slower any other provider is.

Just ring back a few times. Depends who you get. Try early Tomorrow before they all get pissed off ha

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Tried early this morning…..Got offered 10 euro off...Nothing else...Said Id like to cancel....Rep said ok….I'm on a 30 day wind down now...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

mad m wrote: »
    Tried early this morning…..Got offered 10 euro off...Nothing else...Said Id like to cancel....Rep said ok….I'm on a 30 day wind down now...

Ring again later i just got half Price for 6 months no problem at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭raxy

pj12332 wrote: »
    Just ring back a few times. Depends who you get. Try early Tomorrow before they all get pissed off ha

I was wondering if he was just sick of having the same conversation all day long & had enough. I only have to do it once a year but they're probably having the exact same conversation all day long, every day. especially now.

I'm happy enough leaving TBH so I won't be calling back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭zzxx

My contract is up in January. Rang this morning, increase applies, taking me over 80e a month. They wouldn't offer anything, told me to ring back in January and I might get an offer. Told them it was too expensive so they took cancellation there and then. Received email straight away. Now we wait... So tired of having to do this every year.

Yeah may do that, worse comes to worst if I don't get 6months half, my wife will sign up as new customer and get it for 69 euro a month for 12 months. Its a slight pain in the arse but no big problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Random Bloke

I’m in same boat as you were. They offered €10 discount off the €78 monthly for a few months, and when I said that wasn’t enough, they called my bluff and went ahead with processing the cancellation.
    I’ve looked around since then and think the Vodafone promotion is better in any event, so am likely to sign up with Vodafone. €25 per month for 6 months, then €80 for similar package, although Vodafone have some freebie sports (Eir and BT) for 6 month.
    Happy to see the back of Virgin. Their product and service is fine but don’t like their attitude to customers.

Got 9 months half. 3 months full.....took some time but nice lady sorted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 fitzyl

rang 1908 this week too and got 12 months for €47.00 p/m. On 240 tv and phone. i had very little hassle getting this :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Where are people seeing the Sky broadband prices? Any time I click on the broadband menu, it brings me to the UK site. Only place I can see their prices is on switcher.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

zzxx wrote: »
    My contract is up in January. Rang this morning, increase applies, taking me over 80e a month. They wouldn't offer anything, told me to ring back in January and I might get an offer. Told them it was too expensive so they took cancellation there and then. Received email straight away. Now we wait... So tired of having to do this every year.

Should have waited till Jan, the cancellation is a month process meaning you'll have to cough up the remainder of the contract

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Sorted by a lovely helpful lady. No hassle. I had the facts, she understood my position and gave me an offer that worked for me.

Currently would have been paying 56 a month until January.
    First I was offered 15 off per month for 6 months, then 9 months. Mentioned the difference in price compared to Vodafone/eir and how the closest I've heard Virgin offering, which would be competitive with eir/vodafone would be 9 months half price, but that it would still be more expensive than other providers.
    She talked to a supervisor about the 9 months deal, and came back and offered me 9 months half price and 3 months full price. Suffering from a cold so when I did the math on it I was a bit off. Paying 25 cent more for the year than I should. NOOOOOOOOO! :pac:

Basically im doing half price for 9 months, but i'm getting the price increase in January. That said, November and December are only costing me €28 a month.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I am going with Vodafone/SIRO next year- I don't care what they offer me- I don't want the stress of trying to get a semi coherent deal out of Virgin/NTL

sonofenoch wrote: »
    Should have waited till Jan, the cancellation is a month process meaning you'll have to cough up the remainder of the contract

I don't, the price increase gives me an out before the contract ends. There is no cancellation fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

zzxx wrote: »
    I don't, the price increase gives me an out before the contract ends. There is no cancellation fee.

That odd, the price increase doesn't come in till your contract is up so how did that give you an out?

I am going with Vodafone/SIRO next year- I don't care what they offer me- I don't want the stress of trying to get a semi coherent deal out of Virgin/NTL

Ah its only a couple of phone calls. I'm happy out with my deal, but just got my cancellation date from them so I bet ill have to ring back up and tell them I'm not going.:rolleyes:

sonofenoch wrote: »
    That odd, the price increase doesn't come in till your contract is up so how did that give you an out?

No idea but have it in chat transcript and reconfirmed today

: Am I released from contract early as a result?
    Liezl: That is correct,. You can cancel without cancellation fee within 3 months.

Ok, just to be 100% sure, I can cancel anytime from today with no cancellation fee?
    Liezl: That is correct,. No cancellation fee will be applied but a 30 days notice is required to cancel the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Re breaking out of contract early, my email says:

We really hope that you’ll continue to enjoy your Virgin Media package, however, you can change or cancel your service by giving us 30 days notice. You can do this without penalty any time before January 14th 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Craftylee

Hi all,

For everyone calling up to get discounts etc - are you accepting a new 12-month contract? The reason I ask is that we're moving home in April and looking at the fees charged by Virgin for terminating a contract early (€200) this wouldn't be worth it.

In there T&C's it basically says that if you move home and the service isn't available at your new address, then tough, you still need to pay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭4real

Craftylee wrote: »
    Hi all,

For everyone calling up to get discounts etc - are you accepting a new 12-month contract? The reason I ask is that we're moving home in April and looking at the fees charged by Virgin for terminating a contract early (€200) this wouldn't be worth it.

In there T&C's it basically says that if you move home and the service isn't available at your new address, then tough, you still need to pay.

Virgin offers 30 day broadband contracts too, its 59 per month and you can cancel anytime by giving 30 day notice.

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

4real wrote: »
    Virgin offers 30 day broadband contracts too, its 59 per month and you can cancel anytime by giving 30 day notice.

But no discounts on that contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Contacted Virgin - unfortunately I was coming up to the end of my contract already in a week so didn't get any additional benefit of ending my contract early.

Pure Telecom are offering me 100mb unlimited bb for €30/mth for a 12 month contract (€360 year cost).

The best Virgin could offer me was an upgrade to 240mb (from 120mb currently) and 6mths half price (29.50 up to 59) meaning yearly cost is €531.

For the difference of €171 I'm definitely going to give Pure a try - put it this way I'm saving 47.5% of the cost of my year's broadband cost by switching to Pure vs Virgin's best "loyalty" offer :p

By way of comparison Eir were offering bb+phone at 449 for the year also so cheaper than Virgin's 6 month discount but not the 9 month discount.

I highly recommend checking out bonkers.ie to see what offers are available in your area.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Thirdfox wrote: »
    Pure Telecom are offering me 100mb unlimited bb for €30/mth for a 12 month contract (€360 year cost)..
    how did you get that offer? the one on bonkers is an 18month contract and 528euro for the first year.

Also do you need to pay an eircom standing charge for this place, sky or any of the others?

I can see they say "free connection" "no landline charges". But I was wondering if this was just trickery like ticketmaster saying "includes booking fee" in adverts, but then there is a service charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

rubadub wrote: »
    how did you get that offer? the one on bonkers is an 18month contract and 528euro for the first year.

Also do you need to pay an eircom standing charge for this place, sky or any of the others?

I can see they say "free connection" "no landline charges". But I was wondering if this was just trickery like ticketmaster saying "includes booking fee" in adverts, but then there is a service charge.

Here's the direct link - I imagine the offers are segregated by availability based on your location (I'm in Dublin 18):
    https://www.bonkers.ie/compare-tv-broadband-phone/pure-telecom/2EDLNL/unlimited-fibre-bundle/

The offer confirmation email states that the 30 euro price includes the 25.50 line rental charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Thirdfox wrote: »
    Here's the direct link - I imagine the offers are segregated by availability based on your location (I'm in Dublin 18):
    https://www.bonkers.ie/compare-tv-broadband-phone/pure-telecom/2EDLNL/unlimited-fibre-bundle/

The offer confirmation email states that the 30 euro price includes the 25.50 line rental charge.

Just remember you are getting 100mbps max from Pure.Actually you will get 80mb, maybe 85mbps. They are reselling Eirs fabulous copper "fibre".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Was offered 9 months half price, then 59 after that, but have cancelled anyway.

Now I gotta figure out an alternative.
    Will get on to Sky, but have realised we don't have any phone sockets in the house anymore :(, so not entirely sure what my options are.

Ah well, at least I stood by my principles (I guess).

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Pure Loonamus

Craftylee wrote: »
    Hi all,

Correct, back when they were UPC they allowed you to cancel without paying the early termination fee if they couldn't provide the service at your new address, but they changed that policy now so you still have to pay it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭ahbell

DavyD_83 wrote: »

Will get on to Sky, but have realised we don't have any phone sockets in the house anymore :(, so not entirely sure what my options are.

Sky will install a line for you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Ladybird37

DavyD_83 wrote: »

I'm in this exact position, just been chatting to a lady on Sky live chat and she has confirmed that once you place an order that they can send out an engineer to reactivate the phone line. Obviously there would need to have been one there before but just no sockets installed.

Advertisement