Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,683 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

ahbell wrote: »
    Sky will install a line for you

How much is the installation cost in this case?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Ladybird37 wrote: »
    I'm in this exact position, just been chatting to a lady on Sky live chat and she has confirmed that once you place an order that they can send out an engineer to reactivate the phone line. Obviously there would need to have been one there before but just no sockets installed.

Cheers,
    I need to figure out the exact phone line status.
    House built in 80's, so assume it had phone lines. Bought in 2012.no phone sockets anywhere now and pretty sure there weren't any when we bought.
    Hopefully sky have access to some listings andwill know more about my options, although some of the threads over on sky forum don't inspire confidence either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,012 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I got one today, while moving address.

Going form €115 p/m down to €69.50 for 9 months and €116 for 3 months after that.

240 MB internet, TV, Sky Sports, and I think some phone thing aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Jacovs

Current price for our 240mb broadband, tv and phone is 85 a month. Had 6 months half price first part of the year.
    Called them yesterday and all she offered me was 3 months at 64 then 9 months at 79. Then after speaking to her supervisor she came back with 64 for 9 months and 79 for 3 months.
    I told her from the start of the conversation I would just cancel and have my wife sign up at the new customer price of 59 for 12 months. Seems like the way to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Jacovs wrote: »
    Current price for our 240mb broadband, tv and phone is 85 a month. Had 6 months half price first part of the year.
    Called them yesterday and all she offered me was 3 months at 64 then 9 months at 79. Then after speaking to her supervisor she came back with 64 for 9 months and 79 for 3 months.
    I told her from the start of the conversation I would just cancel and have my wife sign up at the new customer price of 59 for 12 months. Seems like the way to go.

After being on the phone for over 30 minutes last year, cancelling and getting somebody else in the household to sign up is the easiest option.

You can even cancel via email now so no need to sacrifice any time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

All I got offered was 2 euro off my current price, for 12 months!!!
    Then after that it was a tenner off for 6,hes told me I've gotten half price every year off them.. I need to start paying full price....

I think I'll just cancel and setup a new account. The current account we have is in both our names...
    I just have 360mb bb with them....

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Would there be any downtime between canceling and loosing the service and getting another modem,

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Ladybird37

tom1ie wrote: »
    How much is the installation cost in this case?

I've just bit the bullet and I'm going to take my chances with Sky. Sent off my email to cancel Virgin, as I just can't be bothered with them anymore after 10 years of being a customer.

Received the following from Sky regarding activating a new phone line:

"We need to send an engineer to install the network equipment required to enable you to access the service. The installation is currently free of charge but It may take longer or will not proceed where extensive construction over and above standard needs is required. We will contact you shortly by SMS to confirm the engineer's appointment date"

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    Cheers,
    I need to figure out the exact phone line status.
    House built in 80's, so assume it had phone lines. Bought in 2012.no phone sockets anywhere now and pretty sure there weren't any when we bought.
    Hopefully sky have access to some listings andwill know more about my options, although some of the threads over on sky forum don't inspire confidence either.

You're welcome. Yeah this was the same as us, if you give them a call or live chat them they can check the status of your line using your address. They also provide the new socket too, so it's all taken care of.

They will send me the socket, an engineer will come out to install this, then another engineer from Eir will come out and reactivate the phone then a Sky technician will come & set up the TV, broadband etc. Seems pretty straightforward, although I'm preparing myself for this not to be the case!

The way i'm thinking about it, at least I will have the phone line in now and will open up more options for me in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

I’m out too.

Long time customer since NTL days.

Dumped their TV offerings a few yrs ago, but still have bb & phone.

Best they’d offer was 6months half price & was advised not to believe everything I read on the internet when I asked for 9months half price like loads of others!

They took my 30 days cancellation notice over the phone & got email informing me of my disconnection date.

Now it’s just a matter of choosing a new supplier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I’m out too.

Long time customer since NTL days.

Dumped their TV offerings a few yrs ago, but still have bb & phone.

Best they’d offer was 6months half price & was advised not to believe everything I read on the internet when I asked for 9months half price like loads of others!

They took my 30 days cancellation notice over the phone & got email informing me of my disconnection date.

Now it’s just a matter of choosing a new supplier.

I’m in the same boat as you, everything you described is exactly what I went through. Only thing is they told me they can’t send out a cancellation email.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Ladybird37 wrote: »
    I've just bit the bullet and I'm going to take my chances with Sky. Sent off my email to cancel Virgin, as I just can't be bothered with them anymore after 10 years of being a customer.

Received the following from Sky regarding activating a new phone line:

"We need to send an engineer to install the network equipment required to enable you to access the service. The installation is currently free of charge but It may take longer or will not proceed where extensive construction over and above standard needs is required. We will contact you shortly by SMS to confirm the engineer's appointment date"

Same was onto Sky today and 50 euro a month for a year is too good to turn down

I was told 30 euro all in installation inc. Dish

Sorry I probably should have been clearer. I too had to pay an upfront payment of €25 even though they said €30:confused:

What I was referring to was the cost to get the phone line reactivated.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭pat1981

I contacted vm yesterday re latest price increase and was told the price increase only related to legacy customers who were on lower bb speeds.

I was on the 360 connect so unfortunately the price increase would not effect me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

I’m in the same boat as you, everything you described is exactly what I went through. Only thing is they told me they can’t send out a cancellation email.

You’ll get one soon enough I’d say. I think a lot of staff that are presently manning the phones have been temporarily draughted in from other sections so may not have full access to the system, or whatever.

Just have to be careful now to make sure I can use my own router with new supplier’s - haven’t looked into it yet, but if that affects you don’t forget to check.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,240 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

pat1981 wrote: »
    I contacted vm yesterday re latest price increase and was told the price increase only related to legacy customers who were on lower bb speeds.

I was on the 360 connect so unfortunately the price increase would not effect me.
    Well that's clearly bs. I'm on 250mb and contract is up in December, have had deals last two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Wickerman1

I'm into a new contract since June with Virgin. I received no email regarding a price increase! Can I still leave!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Amouar

Wickerman1 wrote: »
    I'm into a new contract since June with Virgin. I received no email regarding a price increase! Can I still leave!

Call them and ask if you can leave or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Called Virgin today. Was first offered 10 a month off for 6 months, and then 15 off a month for 6 months. Said it wasn't enough and asked them to cancel account. Said that was the best they could do and asked me to ring Sales as they might be able to offer me a better deal.
    Called Sales and as I already had broadband, tv and phone with them they couldn't do anything and sent me back to loyalty team.
    This time after 25 minutes they downgraded my TV to the 50 station one and gave me 6 months half price on the broadband.
    So instead of paying 94 a month I'll be paying 49.50 for 6 months and then 79. Not as cheap as going to Sky but keep the better broadband. Hopefully by next year SIRO will be available in the area and I'll have more options.
    On both calls they were more interested in saying how bad Sky was that anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,301 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

mcgovern wrote: »
    Called Virgin today. Was first offered 10 a month off for 6 months, and then 15 off a month for 6 months. Said it wasn't enough and asked them to cancel account. Said that was the best they could do and asked me to ring Sales as they might be able to offer me a better deal.
    Called Sales and as I already had broadband, tv and phone with them they couldn't do anything and sent me back to loyalty team.
    This time after 25 minutes they downgraded my TV to the 50 station one and gave me 6 months half price on the broadband.
    So instead of paying 94 a month I'll be paying 49.50 for 6 months and then 79. Not as cheap as going to Sky but keep the better broadband. Hopefully by next year SIRO will be available in the area and I'll have more options.
    On both calls they were more interested in saying how bad Sky was that anything else.
    Was this for 240mb broadband and full house tv?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭TheUnderfaker

I've got 240mb broadband and home phone with Virgin Media and have had for about 5 years now. I switched my mobile to them recently as well but the agents told me this didn't have any impact on what they could offer me. Anyway, here's my experience getting a deal to stay.

Called up after price increase email to give notice to cancel. I wasn't offered anything to stay so said I'm cancelling. The notice to cancel was sent to me via email, which also said to give them a call to see if any deals were available.

I called back immediately and quoted the email, and said I wanted 9 months half price. He said the best he could do was 6 months half price so I maintained the notice to cancel.

Got another email immediately saying to give them a call to see if there was anything they could do to get me to stay, plus information about arranging collection of my equipment. I left it a few days and decided to give it another go. Ended up getting 9 months half price and a better home phone package (I don't even have a home phone).

Happy enough to stay for the year but no way I'm paying 59 a month when the contract is up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Paulzx

Are people finding online chat or telephone the best medium to getting a decent deal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭dubrov

Paulzx wrote: »
    Are people finding online chat or telephone the best medium to getting a decent deal?

Online chat told me to ring to get in contact with the loyalty team. The previous year, I got the 9 month half price deal via online chat only.

I got offered pretty poor discounts but it was late in the day (about 430 I think).

You are probably better contacting them earlier when you can be sure the people with the relevant authority are available to offer the best deals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

Lads the current Sky TV and Broadband deal looks good. Is there any reason to stick with Virgin over this. I think it's 60 euro a month for 12 months with SKy and that's it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭4real

Lads the current Sky TV and Broadband deal looks good. Is there any reason to stick with Virgin over this. I think it's 60 euro a month for 12 months with SKy and that's it.

i was quoted 50 a month for TV and broadband.

4real wrote: »
    i was quoted 50 a month for TV and broadband.

Thanks, is it just a 12 month contract?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭4real

Thanks, is it just a 12 month contract?

12 month contract

Since it's a month long cancellation, is it better to wait til just before you pay for the current month to cancel? I paid for September on 05/10/2018 so I'm guessing if I cancel today I'll end up paying for the whole of November, even though it will have finished halfway through November.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Since it's a month long cancellation, is it better to wait til just before you pay for the current month to cancel? I paid for September on 05/10/2018 so I'm guessing if I cancel today I'll end up paying for the whole of November, even though it will have finished halfway through November.

You should only be billed for the days that you have the service. that is standard enough billing stuff for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭little bess

Is that the basic sky tv package? I just canceled sky and have been looking around for a better broadband deal, currently with Virgin.

Advertisement