Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Lads the current Sky TV and Broadband deal looks good. Is there any reason to stick with Virgin over this. I think it's 60 euro a month for 12 months with SKy and that's it.

Yep, its looking like €30 per month for 100MB
    or ~€60 (same price as my VM 240MB) for 100MB +TV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

Is that the basic sky tv package? I just canceled sky and have been looking around for a better broadband deal, currently with Virgin.

Yes it's the basic tv on Sky Q.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭little bess

Yes it's the basic tv on Sky Q.

I’m tempted by this, but will miss the hd channels. Maybe they’ll do me a deal 🀞

I’m tempted by this, but will miss the hd channels. Maybe they’ll do me a deal ��

Yeah there's not many HD channels on it unfortunately but for the price I can't complain :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

They told me they don’t send out cancellation emails or texts.

• Advertisement

Forgot that my current contract runs until the end of December. Can I get out of it early due to the price rise?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭Amouar

Forgot that my current contract runs until the end of December. Can I get out of it early due to the price rise?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

did they send you notification of the price rise?

As the price rise happens in Jan I wondered if you would be able to cancel. If they do treat this notification of a price rise as a break of contract immediately then I wonder why they do not hold out and announce it closer to the actual price rise date.

Maybe they have to legally give lots of notice? or just want to give lots of notice not to annoy people as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭TheUnderfaker

rubadub wrote: »
    did they send you notification of the price rise?

As the price rise happens in Jan I wondered if you would be able to cancel. If they do treat this notification of a price rise as a break of contract immediately then I wonder why they do not hold out and announce it closer to the actual price rise date.

Maybe they have to legally give lots of notice? or just want to give lots of notice not to annoy people as much.

My contract was due to expire in November this year and I still got to cancel early/negotiatiate a new deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭4real

my contract is up in December but no email yet of price rise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,050 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

My contract is up on 20th November.
    I rang and gave my notice today.
    To be honest the final straw was it is now not taping all programmes that i have series linked, and it only lets me pause the box intermittently.
    I just cant justify the price not when you can get the sky basic package of tv and broadband for 50 euro for 12 month.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭paddyh117

.....ok, so having had no joy last week and went ahead with cancellation, I tried again today on the 1890 940251 - which appears to be loyalty dept?....eventually did me 9 months at €49 3 months at 79 (for TV and Broadband) due to be paying €79 per month from January so happy with that, and not having to switch to sky etc

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Acey10

To those who are cancelling, who are you switching to? I'm afraid if I leave I'll get crap broadband!! Help please ðŸ™

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

gmisk wrote: »
    Was this for 240mb broadband and full house tv?

Yes, for 240mb broadband, tv and phone. TV now down to Mix.

Acey10 wrote: »
    To those who are cancelling, who are you switching to? I'm afraid if I leave I'll get crap broadband!! Help please ðŸ™

i am going with Sky but have not cancelled yet since the contract is up in December.
    Sky offering 10 MB broadband but it could be good since its a separate line to the tv but anyhow i have 14 days cooling off period so can decide either way.
    no harm in trying.

I have been offered a new box.....again (3rd at least)...they are saying this is a "digital" box (as opposed to "Horizon").
    Is this a newer box? or is it an older model.

their tv service is the worst in the world

4real wrote: »
    their tv service is the worst in the world
    The on demand is actually laughable.
    It is so slow and clunky - press a button - wait 15 seconds for something to happen - dont press any more buttons or the entire box freezes....

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭LiveRadio.ie

If Virgin Media are increasing their broadband charges, it is a sure bet that other ISPs will announce increases soon enough.

Well said. Internet price will always go up.

There is no way to avoid price increase. There is a way to avoid TV charge. Do not buy any TV package. Watch TV though internet. Buy any cheap package online.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Acey10

Vodafone are doing siro in my area, would that be better over their normal broadband?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

is it just sky people are switching to is there anything else worth considering? they advised €66 per month for multi room. (Sky That is)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

We just have internet with them, got offered €15 off for six months which I turned down then got it for nine months so happy enough with that

Called to cancel yesterday. Was offered to stay on the 'old' price of €64/month and 3 months with €15 off. I said that if they extended the €15 off for the whole year, they'd have a deal. They extended it to 9 months, so I said I'd cancel. They couldn't believe that €15 off for 9 months wasn't enough for me.

Anyway, got an email from Virgin today, expecting it to be my cancellation confirmation. Nope, it's an email outlining my new 12 month contract at €64/month with 9 months reduced.

Time for another phone call :o

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭OnLooker

Called up earlier today. Got an Irish lad on the phone who was sound. I told him there was no point in offering €10 off a month etc... and that I wanted 9 months half price and kept on mentioning all the people on boards.ie

Also said I had no problem moving to Sky for TV & Broadband as I would be paying €94 after the increase. He tried to talk Sky but the figures don't lie if you are saving €528 a year moving. Got put through to Loyalty and within 2 minutes and I got 9 months half price and the increase taken out.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DermoMIO

Cancelled there last week when they sent out the notice & was only offered the €15 off. Got a call today from UK lad who staight up offered 6 months 1/2 price with just a 50c price increase so I asked for 9 months & no hesitation in giving me it. That should do me until next years price increase & we go again

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Acey10 wrote: »

If you're afraid of getting crap broadband, then don't leave, negotiate. This thread is about cancellation deals.

I have options in my area, but moving would mean getting a much slower rate broadband (not exactly slow, but slower than I currently have with Virgin). Virgin gave me 9 months half price. It's still about 20-30 euro more expensive than compared to eir/vodafone for the year, but i'd pay that for the increased speed, but mostly to be free from the hassle of setting up a new BB provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Virgin said they'll give me BB for 52.50 for 12 months; currently paying 56 so it'll go up to 59.50 in January.

Am out of contract currently so if I go for their offer (not the most appealing, they could've done better) and had to cancel for any reason I'd be looking at 200 cancellation fee.

Tried pitching for their Naked Broadband offer but you have to be a new customer; they also told me that even if I stopped my service now I wouldn't be a new customer until this time next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

pure telecom seems around in some areas got offered 12mo on 100mb plan at the door, but as many am in area where siro is being put up so year later they can raise prices or offer anything ill just move, as VM dont realize this constant increase yearly will backfire big time on them, once likes of Siro are out.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭nasty_crash

I made 2 phone calls yesterday - i have 360 mb internet with phone - and i've gotten a deal for the last 4 or 5 years of my contract.
    I rang and said that SIRO is in my area and that its 25 for 6 months and 55 for remaining 6 months - instantly got offered 6 months at 32 - and 6 at 64 per month - said i wouldnt cancel just yet but would call back

Called back an hour later and said that i wanted to proceed with the cancellation - that SIRO was working out 100 euro cheaper for 1gb broadband..... after the guy started to tell me that SIRO speed drops down to 150mb speed after 6 months, i called him out and said sure its false advertising and i've not been told that.... he then said if i can extend the half price would you consider.... i played dumb and said oh i didnt think i could get better than 6 months - got 9 months half price at 32 and 3 at 64 - 12 month contract - no hold music - done everything there and then!

Happy Days :) just saved over 300 a year

Just as a point to note - they are really quick to bad mouth other providers so be aware if you are saying your gonna move to SKY or someone else have some answers ready cos they will say oh there slower, ****ter, thats only for 3 months etc....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭shardylan

Got offered €44 for 6mths then €59 said no
    Then €29.50 for 6months €59 said no & told them would stay if got 9mth half off they immediately texted back saying ok 9mths half off
    Very easy .esp considering I’ve had the 9 mths offer for past 4 years .
    All done through text
    +353 (86) 180 2387

Advertisement