Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,048 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Does anyone know what the setup fee with sky is?
    For me they said 25 euro for phone - 30 euro if phone and broadband.
    But they are busy as in 7/8 delay to fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Got the 9 months today, only have broadband with them. Took 3 calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Does anyone know what the setup fee with sky is?

Depends what you are signing up for, €30 for TV in 2 rooms including sports, Broadband & sky talk free time which we won't really use outgoing, they also had to arrange for our phone line to be reactivated & install a fibre socket, that's for Sky Q 1TB box, think about €80 if you want the 2TB box

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭baldbear

From last year I have 240mb broadband @€;58.99. got rid of the telly . I Got 9 months for €29.50 after 3 phone calls.

Now I have to jump through the same hoops. I bet they will spin the same line. You got half price last year so can't get it this year. I dread this BS calls.

It's 1908 I call?

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

So second call I gave the same story and was offered half price for 6 months on connect 240 (last time is was 15 euro off for 9 months). I just took that rather than have to try again or go through cancellation (when I definitely don't want to cancel!)
    No doubt we'll all be back here in less than 12 months for another price increase...
    Thanks for sharing all the stories - helps us all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,048 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

baldbear wrote: »
    From last year I have 240mb broadband @€;58.99. got rid of the telly . I Got 9 months for €29.50 after 3 phone calls.

Now I have to jump through the same hoops. I bet they will spin the same line. You got half price last year so can't get it this year. I dread this BS calls.

It's 1908 I call?
    Yep 1908....they definitely would only offer me 6 months half price as I had it before last two times.

I thinking I might get sky for tv....and just broadband for vodafone.
    What is best deal people are getting for broadband only? (240mb one)

EDIT
    I just got off the phone to Limerick....lovely chap.
    After a bit of arm twisting I got 44x9 and 59x3 for 240mb (so works out at 573 euro for 12 months)
    Considering the new deal works out at 588 euro for the year......I grabbed it tbh cant be bothered with the constant arguing with them.
    Plus the VM broadband is great.
    Now just need to get TV sorted with Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Moyglish

I'm on 240mb with phone, ended up getting 9 months half price so happy with that for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

gmisk wrote: »
    Yep 1908....they definitely would only offer me 6 months half price as I had it before last two times.

I thinking I might get sky for tv....and just broadband for vodafone.
    What is best deal people are getting for broadband only? (240mb one)

EDIT
    I just got off the phone to Limerick....lovely chap.
    After a bit of arm twisting I got 44x9 and 59x3 for 240mb (so works out at 573 euro for 12 months)
    Considering the new deal works out at 588 euro for the year......I grabbed it tbh cant be bothered with the constant arguing with them.
    Plus the VM broadband is great.
    Now just need to get TV sorted with Sky.

Ye I got same deal after 3 calls. I’m now doing my yearly thing with Sky, called the other day and gave months cancellation. I might just go Freeview and get a Tiviar combo box.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Just got off the phone to some Irish guy on the loyalty team.

He wouldn't budge on only €15 discount for 9 months which I declined.
    I said to him I could get half price with SKY and EIR for 12 months and he started giving me the usual spiel about speed.
    To which I replied, if it was about speed, I would go to Vodafone who are offering 1GB speed for €25 for a 6 months.
    Then he said he could put me on the 240mb instead of the 360mb to which I declined also.
    Then he says "but you said it had nothing to do with speed"
    To which I replied "is this the loyalty team or am I through to the wrong dept."

A right smart ar*e so I told him to go ahead with the cancellation.
    Definitely going elsewhere now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭dubrov

PWEI wrote: »
    Just got off the phone to some Irish guy on the loyalty team.

He wouldn't budge on only €15 discount for 9 months which I declined.
    I said to him I could get half price with SKY and EIR for 12 months and he started giving me the usual spiel about speed.
    To which I replied, if it was about speed, I would go to Vodafone who are offering 1GB speed for €25 for a 6 months.
    Then he said he could put me on the 240mb instead of the 360mb to which I declined also.
    Then he says "but you said it had nothing to do with speed"
    To which I replied "is this the loyalty team or am I through to the wrong dept."

A right smart ar*e so I told him to go ahead with the cancellation.
    Definitely going elsewhere now.

I got the same guy and same offer. He seems to be unable/unwilling to offer anything decent

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Think I had the same guy today, its like Virgin are trying to lose customers

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Dayo93 wrote: »
    just off the phone with them , 44 for 9 months and the 59 for 3 months, strange all the different pricings, Thats for 240 BB and home phone 400 min international calls

just called there, and i got offered that deal & i am on the 360 mb broadband

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Dr Bob wrote: »
    Think I had the same guy today, its like Virgin are trying to lose customers

Absolutely.
    I was so annoyed with the guys bad attitude yesterday, I went off and ordered Vodafone's Gigabit broadband.
    €25 for 6 months and they are installing it next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

dubrov wrote: »
    I got the same guy and same offer. He seems to be unable/unwilling to offer anything decent

I might have got him myself.

He was shocking 8 asked for his supervisee he went no one else here as its late!!!.

Jeses if I said that to someone in work I would get a ear full form someone ha

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭sector_000

I got a so-so discount.
    I'm in the final month of my 1 year contract that was 9m half, 3m full.

Connect 360 (BB+mobile & landline incl mobile international)
    Mix TV (50+ channels, 21 HD)

6 months @ €52, 6 months @ €84
    I couldn't get 9 months "half"... as they said I've had so many years of deals. (so true, thanks to boards!)

For new customers it's €768 for the year.
    What I got is €816. Also was told that this will not be subject to the Jan price increase.

I know Sky 50 is €625 incl install for the year.

I have 14 days cooling off.

What do you think?
    Stick, or cancel and get wife to sign up??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,403 ✭✭✭ando

I've decided to leave them after being with them since 2013. The broadband alone was working out after discounts to be €51 a month. I currently use a free to air box for TV. So I took the Sky deal for TV and broadband for €50 a month. Virgin just are not moving this year on deals. Their TV and broadband package was working out at €80 a month after discounts. Its a no brainer. And I needed a new satellite dish too as mine is rusting away, so this works out for me. Bye bye Virgin, we had a good run

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭torrevieja

Hey Guys my contract is up on the 22nd November can i Ring them now before about my contract or must i wait till the 23rd November?

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭sector_000

torrevieja wrote: »
    Hey Guys my contract is up on the 22nd November can i Ring them now before about my contract or must i wait till the 23rd November?

I rang 26~27 days before contract ends.... as cancellation would be 30 days notice anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭whampiri

We cancelled 3 weeks ago. Wife is going to sign up for the better new customer deal.

We've been with UPC / VM since 1995, in fairness only had a couple of issues in that time, have cancelled & resigned up in the Mrs name in the past, Sky installation next week, just going to treat it like gas, electricity, insurance etc & switch every year now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

whampiri wrote: »
    We cancelled 3 weeks ago. Wife is going to sign up for the better new customer deal.

Did this last year. No problems doing it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

brightkane wrote: »
    Did this last year. No problems doing it

Did you lose service for a while as you switched?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

beauf wrote: »
    Did you lose service for a while as you switched?

None. Technically we had 2 subs going for a few days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

We've been with UPC / VM since 1995, in fairness only had a couple of issues in that time, have cancelled & resigned up in the Mrs name in the past, Sky installation next week, just going to treat it like gas, electricity, insurance etc & switch every year now

I asked 'em about this; was told I wouldn't qualify for a new customer offer (wanted their Naked Broadband) even if I cancelled because the property isn't a new connection until 12 months have passed.

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    I asked 'em about this; was told I wouldn't qualify for a new customer offer (wanted their Naked Broadband) even if I cancelled because the property isn't a new connection until 12 months have passed.

Don't know anything about the property not being a new connection,

I was the sole account holder with VM, I was out of contract so cancelled, they collected their equipment, Mrs signed up as new customer with VM, they delivered new equipment saving the bones of €50p/m,
    Mrs is now out of contract with VM, She has cancelled, I've signed up as a new Sky customer, 12 month contract, when it's up I'll cancel & sign up to VM as a new customer, will have been two years since I was a VM customer & more than 1 year since anyone in the household had a contract with VM, once that's up, the Mrs will sign up to Sky as a new customer, rinse & repeat...keep all the contracts in one name only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

Nokia6230i wrote: »

Sounds like nonsense to me, surely it's not unusual for a user to cancel the service before moving house and then the new occupant subscribing?? Bound to be particularly prevalent nowadays with the increase in renting.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭whampiri

I notice that sky are giving a free tv away with a new sub.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Glenbhoy wrote: »
    Sounds like nonsense to me, surely it's not unusual for a user to cancel the service before moving house and then the new occupant subscribing?? Bound to be particularly prevalent nowadays with the increase in renting.

I had a full hour of nonsense on the phone to them yesterday. When I called to accept the deal I’d been offered by text the agent had zero record of the full text conversation, and then told me that the text people couldn’t offer deals and could only give ‘advice’. So eventually he was going to give me the same deal but I had to give him the figures I was quoted for the 9 months half price and the 3 months full price.
    Then I needed to query the bill because we cancelled a multiroom box during the summer but I noticed they were still charging for it. So he wanted to identify the one multiroom we still had so he wouldn’t cancel that in error. First he told me they hadn’t received back the box (that their agents had definitely collected from
    Me), then he said they had, then when I called out the smart card number he said that wasn’t possible because that card wasn’t listed on their system for me. Same with the serial number of the box. I actually had to tell him at one stage that there was no benefit to me of making up numbers and that I was holding the card in my hand! The full phone call took 1 hour and 2 minutes. Grrrr!

This is following my experience with them in the summer when we needed a new power cable following lightening that blew it. They didn’t have any single power cables so said they’d just have to send a whole new box which would have the digibox, power cable and remote. So ridiculous!

whampiri wrote: »
    I notice that sky are giving a free tv away with a new sub.

They've done that before, think they are only about €200 bucks worth but if you need another TV & your thinking of signing up it's a extra bonus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Jacovs

Heads up, Virgin Media also doing free tv for new subscribers. If I knew this I would habe cancelled and got my wife to take new contract instead of taking slightly cheaper 9 month half price deal.
    https://www.thesun.ie/money/3368666/virgin-media-smart-tv-black-friday-bundle/amp/

Advertisement