Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I'm quietly confident they'll ring you back. Let us know how you get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

Was paying €64pm got half price for 6months then back to €64 and upgraded to 500mb. Refused 1st offer and was going to Vodafone 1GB

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Blitz17

baldbear wrote: »
    Were you paying €64 for just broadband? Currently i'm paying €59 for just broadband,240mb. Robbed. I Have to ring them.

So rang them & told them I'm shopping around. The best they said they could offer me was €10 off for 6 months. I'm on 240mb naked package & currently paying €58.99 so I said I'd cancel & go to Sky as I would save approx €300 with them . Got the spiel about it takes them time to set up,activation fee & speeds aren't as quick. I said I'd chance them anyway as the savings were so good. Hope they ring me back because I don't really want the hassle of leaving

Just double checked, was paying 62 for broadband and home phone (dont even own a home phone) . That was for 240mb. They upgrade to 500mb and reduced price to 49 for 9 months, then 64 after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Blitz17 wrote: »
    Just double checked, was paying 62 for broadband and home phone (dont even own a home phone) . That was for 240mb. They upgrade to 500mb and reduced price to 49 for 9 months, then 64 after that.

This is what they are offering me at the moment. I'm torn between this for €633 for the year or switch to Vodafone for €390 for the year.

Can't decide if €243 is really worth 500mb over 100mb. Speed hasn't bothered me before when I had 100mb with Sky 2 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Darby_321

pippip wrote: »
    This is what they are offering me at the moment. I'm torn between this for €633 for the year or switch to Vodafone for €390 for the year.

Can't decide if €243 is really worth 500mb over 100mb. Speed hasn't bothered me before when I had 100mb with Sky 2 years ago.

The 100mb should do you fine if you dont have loads of devices connected to the internet and are all trying to stream movies or play online games at the same time. Nearly €250 difference is alot of money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

The issue isn't the speed for me. Its one company if significantly better for support. if you are locked in for a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 SkryneRed

Is the webchat is still working? I'm trying to get a reduced price on my broadband. Don't want to call and stuck at waiting for a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I've never got a deal through webchat personally. Had to talk to someone on the retention team personally. Last time, they rang at the 12th hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Is there any clause in contract to get out early, since recently i learned that they upgraded firmware on router remotely, which rendered my main pc useless wifi as cant connect back to 5ghz band as my wireless card doesnt support full 802.11ac.

Sure i could sit on 2.4 with massive latency and 3 other people using it plus other 10 devices on top, or fork out cash for new wireless card etc, but why should i pay for their mess up, as everything was fine until they rolled out update which cannot be reverted, been on chat with 4 different people which kept me disconnecting each time.

even while typing this i can see they still poke into router giving me DCs, yet issue is flaw in firmware :/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

^^ You can go into the settings of the router and change the Wireless Mode for 5Ghz.

http://192.168.0.1/index.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

Cancelled last month as was only being offered 10 off then was offered 3 months half price wouldn't budge so cancelled got a text today saying equipment was being collected in two days so rang the cancellation department 061 number was paying 97.50 240 meg anytime world and telly and eventually got 9 months half price after mentioning the current sky deal...

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭baldbear

So I was offered €15 off for 3 months so cancelled. Took crap offer yesterday of €15 off for 6 months. didn't want the hassle of actually moving providers. Maybe next year :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Roll-on SIRO.........

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Roll-on SIRO.........

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes!!

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭derek2222_ie

Is there anyway of breaking a contract half way through. I am moving house and the new house already has a package with a better offer that I can take over.

Has anyone ever got around paying the €200 cancellation charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭bromley52

Is there anyway of breaking a contract half way through. I am moving house and the new house already has a package with a better offer that I can take over.

If you switch to Eir they will pay the €200. Perhaps the other providers would do the same.

Same here, im 5 mo left yet got letter today of digiweb for FTTH for 10e 3mo then ,55e after, for gigabit internet and siro site updated my address as live, while being stuck on full price now with VM for 70e after half year passed :/ really crap timing,as would switch in a beat.

spoke with digiweb on chat, they dont offer any buy out option in case of paying penalty, Thou will try if any reps come by to see if doing few year contract will persuade them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,145 ✭✭✭CoBo55

scamalert wrote: »
    Same here, im 5 mo left yet got letter today of digiweb for FTTH for 10e 3mo then ,55e after, for gigabit internet and siro site updated my address as live, while being stuck on full price now with VM for 70e after half year passed :/ really crap timing,as would switch in a beat.

spoke with digiweb on chat, they dont offer any buy out option in case of paying penalty, Thou will try if any reps come by to see if doing few year contract will persuade them.

Don't do that, those reps will promise you anything to get the sale and you won't get the buyout money.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Don't do that, those reps will promise you anything to get the sale and you won't get the buyout money.

Always get something like that in writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Those that mad the switch to VF.
    How is the 100MB?
    How is the TV recorder?
    Is BB through the phone line or same point as Virgins?

Thanks

• Advertisement

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Always get something like that in writing.
    good points.

anyway 4 months left till contract is up so will live.

Neighbour paying too much and didn't want the hassle on the phone so I rang for them.
    240MB and calls, 1st offer got offered 6 months half price and 6 at full.
    Turned that down and settled on final offer of 9 months at half price and last 3 at full price.
    Kept going on about low speeds with other providers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Neighbour paying too much and didn't want the hassle on the phone so I rang for them.
    240MB and calls, 1st offer got offered 6 months half price and 6 at full.
    Turned that down and settled on final offer of 9 months at half price and last 3 at full price.
    Kept going on about low speeds with other providers etc.

Can you please make a call for me? :P

coldfire1x wrote: »
    Can you please make a call for me? :P

I could but the fee would be a packet of wine gums and a packet of Tayto :)

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭sheldon16

Hi All,

Currently paying €79 for 250mb broadband, 50 channels and phone. same package that's €59 for new customers

rang to cancel, best they can offer is €64 for 9 months then back to €79. or go to loyalty department and pay 72.50 each month

anyone get any better deals or is it just this time of the year where they don't budge?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DermoMIO

Tried getting the 9 month 1/2 price offer for a friend who was paying €101 for tv & broadband but only offered 6 months. Went ahead with cancellation & didn’t get any call with retention offer so called back on final day to see if I could get a better offer.

They offered 6 months @ 84 ! So asked for the 6 months 1/2 price deal previously offered & was given it but still no 9 months available. Reluctantly accepted

• Registered Users Posts: 37 pablo57

sheldon16 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Currently paying €79 for 250mb broadband, 50 channels and phone. same package that's €59 for new customers

rang to cancel, best they can offer is €64 for 9 months then back to €79. or go to loyalty department and pay 72.50 each month

anyone get any better deals or is it just this time of the year where they don't budge?

thanks
    I went through the chat on Friday and essentially said I wanted to leave as €64 was too much for broadband (I had 360MB and phone that is totally unused). They said they were sorry and that someone would be in touch within 48 business hours.

Got the call on Tuesday afternoon and basically said the same, then did a check of my internet usage. They said they were sorry and would see what offers they had, and came up with €54 a month. I said I'd been looking at TV packages too, and they just tabbed the €20 on and offered €74 a month. I said that was far too much and I quoted off the numbers from Vodafone and Sky. They did 'another' check through deals and came up with €52 for first 6 months, then €84 for 6 months. I probably should have hung on for another offer, but decided to take that at €68 a month average for 360MB broadband and basic TV (and obligatory phone).

For broadband 250 Got offered initially 9 months at 44 then 3 months at 59 (average 47.75/month)

Then offered 6 months at 29.50 and 6 months at 59 (average 44.25/month).

Have given 30 days notice for now as am tempted to test out vodafone who can offer me 100mbs at 32.50 euro on average per month. The speed of 100 is fine for my needs.

What do you think??

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭djivide_

cookie1977 wrote: »
    The speed of 100 is fine for my needs.
    What do you think??

That is up to 100Mbit, very few people will actually get anywhere near 100mbit. I myself went to get ride of VM there about 6 months ago but no ftth product available in my area at the time and would get ~40-50mbit on the fttc products due to range from the cabinet.

In the end I renewed 240mb with tv package for 9months at 49.5 and 3 months at a higher figure cant remember exactly how much but ~70 i think, well down from the 101 euro a month they were charging me because i had never complained. Even the non special figures for the package i was on was lower than i was paying.

Eir have gone live with FTTH since i renewed and siro is in the planning stages so will make the negotiations more interesting next time around.

• Advertisement

I may hang on with virgin for one more year in the hope that SIRO comes. The second offer isn't too bad even if it is dearer then Vodafone.

Advertisement