Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭chases0102

Just off phone to VM - availed of their very good offer around this time last year or BB and TV for €49 a month.

Best they could do is €72 for same service.

Will be moving to Sky as they can offer SIRO Broadband and TV for €55 (with installation fee of €35).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

quick question, im using prepay to put in cash for VM bill but usually they take it out on 6-8 beginning of month, thou i have this on my bills as due date: 21/08/2019

would i be correct that my contract once finished will be up on 21st ?

as got 2 months to go and will split away as soon as last payment will be made switching to SIRO provider.

As know they are always on about giving months advance notice. So just want to be prepared once another month passes to sort out replacement, and cancel properly to get another provider up and running before being cut off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

chases0102 wrote: »
    Just off phone to VM - availed of their very good offer around this time last year or BB and TV for €49 a month.

Best they could do is €72 for same service.

Will be moving to Sky as they can offer SIRO Broadband and TV for €55 (with installation fee of €35).

A relative of mine cancelled and 15 days later Virgin rang them and offered 44.50 a month for 12 months for TV, Broadband and home phone.

I in the end went for 6 months half price 6 months full price for broadband 240 & phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭bonjurkes

Do I have to scare Virgin Media with cancelling my service to get some decent deal? They only made "6 months for 49 then 6 months for 59" offer. When I asked for 6 months half and 6 months full price they were like "Hell no".

It's PITA to get some offers on the phone as they hang up the phone while I was trying to calculate which deal is better to get.

bonjurkes wrote: »
    Do I have to scare Virgin Media with cancelling my service to get some decent deal? They only made "6 months for 49 then 6 months for 59" offer. When I asked for 6 months half and 6 months full price they were like "Hell no".

It's PITA to get some offers on the phone as they hang up the phone while I was trying to calculate which deal is better to get.
    no need keep calling to get different person :D then they do usual check with supervisor etc.As if you do cancel seems you might or might not get a call with final deal so a lot of hassle if your not going to move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

scamalert wrote: »
    keep calling to get different person :D then they do usual check with supervisor etc.

All the new person who answers will do is check the file and see what has been offered already.
    Happened to me the last 3 times I rang back.
    "Oh I see you were offered xyz".

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭lowbatt07

djivide_ wrote: »
    That is up to 100Mbit, very few people will actually get anywhere near 100mbit. I myself went to get ride of VM there about 6 months ago but no ftth product available in my area at the time and would get ~40-50mbit on the fttc products due to range from the cabinet.

In the end I renewed 240mb with tv package for 9months at 49.5 and 3 months at a higher figure cant remember exactly how much but ~70 i think, well down from the 101 euro a month they were charging me because i had never complained. Even the non special figures for the package i was on was lower than i was paying.

Eir have gone live with FTTH since i renewed and siro is in the planning stages so will make the negotiations more interesting next time around.

I get 92mb and I’m FTTC

eir, vodafone, digiweb - which would be best just for fiber price wise and QoS ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Just looking for some advice, my last contract was up last October or thereabouts, what kind of position would I be in with them? Essentially looking to keep broadband and keep a basic TV package, most channels atm are just wasted

can anyone shed a bit of light for me , i started new contract last year October 7th, am i correct that once they collect payment in September i wont be due any leftovers fees when cancelling on 7th of October, as i count once money is taken out in September that it will be paid 12 times, as will be away for several weeks starting September and want to have everything in place to have cancellation and find new ISP in couple weeks when back before October.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

You will pay for another month. You need to give cancellation notice in advance, i.e. September 7th to avoid this.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

scamalert wrote: »
    eir, vodafone, digiweb - which would be best just for fiber price wise and QoS ?

Having dealt with all 3- I'd suggest Vodafone/SIRO is the way to go. Having a 4G fallback, is the icing on the cake (if you require fallover). Digiweb can be better value- but depending on proximity to the transmitter can be dodgy- as among other factors, even the weather can affect it. Eir- well, if you give me a pliers and the option to take a subscription with Eir or pull out my own teeth, I'll go with the pull out my own teeth option. I think dealing with Eir is the only time in all my life that I've actually cried in frustration at the crap I was asked to put up with. They also send debt collectors after me when I cancelled my 1 year subscription- despite their inability to supply a service- it actually ended up in court- and was found in my favour.

I'm dying to try SIRO out- if I can get it at a reasonable price- price is the determinant as to whether I stay or go.

thank you both, i was on chat with VM and think person tried to mislead me saying to give notice past September, yet if i look i have 12months payments once September one is taken out next month, so def dont wanna pay any extra and just cancel once contract is up - so with months notice should be 7th of September, to be cut off on October 7th completely.

i know someone who has vodafone - and it blows VM out of water, even on mobile devices difference is day and night in comparison to VM.

Edit:
    Vodafone confirmed that i can get fiber- as checking on site id doesnt pickup SIRO for whatever reason, digiweb shows up as gigabit ready, as said know someone who has Vodafone and they had some long delays until engineers figured out cabling but afterwards no complaints about service. So hoping to pick one of those, as area is newly connected and no clue if they have setup it properly as not to have some extra digging towards my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Acey10

My virgin media contract is coming to end, was onto them and best offer for broadband and phone was 59 pm, no loyalty offer available. Any recommendations for Swords area dublin?

Acey10 wrote: »
    My virgin media contract is coming to end, was onto them and best offer for broadband and phone was 59 pm, no loyalty offer available. Any recommendations for Swords area dublin?
    Finally gave in notice for cancellation, had to wait exactly until today to give it otherwise they have terms to impose early cancellation (would be same as cutting out of contract early cost ) even thou account is paid up to date of contract end.Which means one can cancel out only exactly on 30 day mark- go figure, but not nice practice as one could easily get caught overpaying, which creates mess of looking for refund or dragging process even further out.

got nice one on the phone, think she offered 9mo upgrade to 500mb - or could been six under same price, anyway said thanks and no, since moving to Siro, all in service was good over the years, but screwing with people over price increases and need to haggle each year, not to mention the update they pushed on routers, which caused me tons of issues. Ill be happy once have proper fiber connection to stay up to date with new tech.

as for moving to next company think digiweb- know they been long in business around Dublin, but im outside so will see, vodafone has good deal but again hit and miss, regarding timing and customer service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Sofbic

Currently paying 87 or so a month with VM. I think whatever broadband and TV deal we are on has been active here for many years (probably 10+). I've only been here a few years but can't help but think there are better deals out there. Been looking at Sky, Eir, and Vodafone as options, all would probably be cheaper. What kind of deal should I hope to get if I ring about cancelling? What we have at the moment seems to be SD TV channels, and ~100 mb broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

Rang up today to cancel.
    Best they offered was €15 off for 9 months. I went ahead and cancelled.

Is it possible to get my wife to sign up as new customer and try get the new customer deal €55pm deal?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

iggy wrote: »
    Rang up today to cancel.

Is it possible to get my wife to sign up as new customer and try get the new customer deal €55pm deal?

Thanks

yeah i did this, used a different bank account in case it made a difference, there was actually an overlap where both were in place!

brightkane wrote: »
    yeah i did this, used a different bank account in case it made a difference, there was actually an overlap where both were in place!

Thanks. I'll try that

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Acey10

iggy wrote: »
    Rang up today to cancel.

Thanks
    How much were you paying?

• Advertisement

Acey10 wrote: »
    How much were you paying?

Was paying €67 for the 360 speed BB and phone only

• Registered Users Posts: 9,145 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I spotted a coil of fibre on a nearby house;) 3 months left, could be in a brilliant haggling position in the new year:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Hi,

How long do I have to be without VM at my property to count as a new customer? Or is there any way around the system, as in someone else sign up for it when I issue cancelation notice.

Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Thegalwayman

Hi,

How long do I have to be without VM at my property to count as a new customer? Or is there any way around the system, as in someone else sign up for it when I issue cancelation notice.

Thanks,

Get someone else to sign up as new immediately

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Hi,

Thanks,

30 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,177 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Hi,

Thanks,

Get someone else to sign up as new immediately
    Hi,

Thanks,
    I gave notice of cancellation last year and within the last week of it herself signed up as new customer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Thanks All. 55 a month for BB TV and Sky Sport for 12 months is attractive. Even if the Horizon Box is crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 the1eyedsnake

If i cancel the wife's account and sign up in my name for the 55pm deal , do i get to keep the current router and tv box??

i really don't want the horizon box atall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

No. You must return all equipment and she is sent out whatever is part of the current offering

• Advertisement

i had call back offer few days back, 9mo half price on 360bb 35e p/m - 70e 3 mo, for another year.

at first was set on moving but after cancelling beginning this month, had BB disappear to thin air - was a bit fuming, just to see VM guy working Sunday on exchange box fixing some fault.

All in cost wise still cheap not SIRO but speaking with few companies seemed all vague responses to simple questions, so will stick with VM, until more people switch, as understand theres some fees that can add up to new locations to get cabling in place and many either have set fee or we will tell you once you order :cool: and someone looks at it attitude.

Advertisement