Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭surpy

iggy wrote: »
    I think it's expired now. It was variety bundle TV, sky sports, movies and HD for €46.50 a month for 12 months
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057388883

Thanks (bad timing for me!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭paulgalway

Have tv, phone and broadband with UPC.

Sent UPC cancellation email in Feb. Rang customer loyalty early March to see what discount they would offer for me to stay.

Would not discuss a discount as , at the time, I had an existing discount. We agreed to postpone the date of cancellation to 7th April when my contract was up.

Rang Good Friday, but voice mail said office was closed.

Tue 7th April everything got cut off.

Rang Tue evening and was put through to sales.

The fact my contract was finished and I had all services removed means they would only consider me as a new customer and any contract would be for 18 mths. offer was:-

120 mb b/b
    tv with over 100 channels ( told him I didn't want horizon)
    Free mobile and land line calls.

All of the above for €40 for 6 mths and then €80 for remainder of contract.

He would not budge on the 18 mth contract even though I have been with them for years.

As a result, I am now looking at SKy (12 mth contract)

b/b €40 ( €30 for 6mths)
    TV €38 ( €19 for 3 mths)
    Multiroom 3 extra tv's €45(€22.50 for 6mths)

Still thinking over the 2 offers but will probably go with SKy.

Any thoughts on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭onform

Maybe take broadband and telephone from UPC and TV from Sky? General consensus is that is the best combination.

Edit, you might want to try and get an improved offer from Sky, if you go to the Carphone Warehouse they'll give you 6 months half price on TV and multiroom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

I don't know, UPCs broadband service in D9 has become abysmal in the last few months, I'd rather get away from the altogether, move to Sky completely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭surpy

same here, UPC broadband is great for downloading microsoft updates and that kind of thing.
    but seems terrible for actual day to day use. my work vpn drops hourly, websites randomly take a long time to load, peering to certain sites has been shown as terrible repeatedly on the UPC forum, the list goes on.
    i find myself switching to 4g on my phone regularly in order to get a stable service!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

paulgalway wrote: »

b/b €40 ( €30 for 6mths)
    TV €38 ( €19 for 3 mths)

Any thoughts on this?
    If you're going to go with Sky, unless you want the sports channels you should look into a satellite/saorview combo. You will have clawed back the initial outlay before you know it. Then your bills would be for broadband or broadband/phone & you wouldn't be beholden to anyone for tv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

If you're going to go with Sky, unless you want the sports channels you should look into a satellite/saorview combo. You will have clawed back the initial outlay before you know it. Then your bills would be for broadband or broadband/phone & you wouldn't be beholden to anyone for tv.

What way does saorview work? My mother is paying about 75eur for tv/bb combo with UPC per month but the only tv she watches is RTE and a few others really. Are all these available on saorview and does she need a special TV or is it just box based? Her tv is a 26" bush LCD bough in 2008, don't think it's anything fancy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭shnaek

Sent UPC cancellation email in Feb. Rang customer loyalty early March to see what discount they would offer for me to stay.

Would not discuss a discount as , at the time, I had an existing discount. We agreed to postpone the date of cancellation to 7th April when my contract was up.

The fact my contract was finished and I had all services removed means they would only consider me as a new customer and any contract would be for 18 mths. offer was:-

120 mb b/b

He would not budge on the 18 mth contract even though I have been with them for years.

b/b €40 ( €30 for 6mths)
    TV €38 ( €19 for 3 mths)

Any thoughts on this?

UPC are gone down the pan. Been with them a long time too, but I've had a lot of problems with them lately. I expect they will lose a lot of long term customers over the coming months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

cormie wrote: »
    What way does saorview work? My mother is paying about 75eur for tv/bb combo with UPC per month but the only tv she watches is RTE and a few others really. Are all these available on saorview and does she need a special TV or is it just box based? Her tv is a 26" bush LCD bough in 2008, don't think it's anything fancy.

http://www.saorview.ie/what-is-saorview/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭paulgalway

shnaek wrote: »
    UPC are gone down the pan. Been with them a long time too, but I've had a lot of problems with them lately. I expect they will lose a lot of long term customers over the coming months.

What options are you looking at?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭shnaek

What options are you looking at?

Looking at sky fibre. The folks have it at home.

I've unlimited 4G on my phone so that will cover me for a while. Not too worried about TV.

Shame about UPC though - been with them 8 years and I've never had a problem until the last few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

120 mb b/b

b/b €40 ( €30 for 6mths)
    TV €38 ( €19 for 3 mths)

Any thoughts on this?

If you don't want TV as part of the bundle but want the basic channels, you get the 16 "basic" channels for free, they just don't advertise it.

As soon as your cable line is activated you can just connect a normal coax cable from the box to your TV and tune them in old-stylee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭patch

If you don't want TV as part of the bundle but want the basic channels, you get the 16 "basic" channels for free, they just don't advertise it.

As soon as your cable line is activated you can just connect a normal coax cable from the box to your TV and tune them in old-stylee.

Interesting.
    I actually tried to connect my old coax cable to test that theory when I cancelled TV and kept BB last month.
    Do you have to ring them to activate the basic channels?
    Are you sure that this actually works?
    Thanks...

patch wrote: »
    Interesting.
    I actually tried to connect my old coax cable to test that theory when I cancelled TV and kept BB last month.
    Do you have to ring them to activate the basic channels?
    Are you sure that this actually works?
    Thanks...

Once you have a cable broadband connection the line is "active" and you get the 16 basic channels. It's like 4 Irish channels, sky, sky news, ITV, Channel 4, BBC 1 and 2, MTV, That french channel, Setanta Ireland and a few others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭patch

Once you have a cable broadband connection the line is "active" and you get the 16 basic channels. It's like 4 Irish channels, sky, sky news, ITV, Channel 4, BBC 1 and 2, MTV, That french channel, Setanta Ireland and a few others.

Great, I'll have a closer look and try to get it going.
    Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Pinkman

I pay €4.50 a month for a TV point in one of the bedrooms. The room it's in doesn't even have a tv but it leads up to the attic where the cables are joined together and it connects the basic 16 channels to another bedroom as well as the kitchen and the extension. So if I were to cancel that you are saying it would all still work? Have Horizon Broadband TV Max for the sitting room. Cheers.

Pinkman wrote: »
    I pay €4.50 a month for a TV point in one of the bedrooms. The room it's in doesn't even have a tv but it leads up to the attic where the cables are joined together and it connects the basic 16 channels to another bedroom as well as the kitchen and the extension. So if I were to cancel that you are saying it would all still work? Have Horizon Broadband TV Max for the sitting room. Cheers.
    Yip.
    Worked for me in about 4 different places anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Sounds great. I have a broadband connection with UPC but no TV. Could I buy a USB TV tuner and connect it to the coax (do TV tuners have coaxial input?) or do I need to do something a bit more complicated?

daveyjoe wrote: »
    Sounds great. I have a broadband connection with UPC but no TV. Could I buy a USB TV tuner and connect it to the coax (do TV tuners have coaxial input?) or do I need to do something a bit more complicated?

There should be a tuner in your TV already shouldn't there? Unless you don't actually own a TV and are using a PC Monitor?

I have no idea if USB tuners have coax input you'd have to check the specific specs of the specific tuner I guess?

There should be a small white box mounted on a wall somewhere in your house, usually in the living room, with a UPC (or NTL if it's older) logo on it.

There are two outputs on it, one says FM and the other says TV and that's exactly what they are. You need a coax cable like the one below with one end that screws onto the TV output and then the other end should be the normal type you can plug into a tv and use the TV's old stylee analogue tuner function to find the channels.

4146DZ8PGjL._SY300_.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

There should be a tuner in your TV already shouldn't there? Unless you don't actually own a TV and are using a PC Monitor?

Yes, I don't have a TV, I don't really want one either.
    There are two outputs on it, one says FM and the other says TV and that's exactly what they are. You need a coax cable like the one below with one end that screws onto the TV output and then the other end should be the normal type you can plug into a tv and use the TV's old stylee analogue tuner function to find the channels.

My other coax is blocked (see attachment), I presume I could remove the blocker with the right size spanner? I tried size 10 and 13 spanners but the nut is between these sizes. Will the TV channels be HD (where available) or will they be SD?

• Advertisement

Yeah you need a spanner or a pliers or something and just screw that off and you're good to go.

They will be standard definition as far as I remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The other output is FM radio only, if you get TV the signal will be aggressively attenuated.

L1011 wrote: »
    The other output is FM radio only, if you get TV the signal will be aggressively attenuated.

I think you might be right, in which case he'll need a splitter like this:
    9-F2WE.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Needs to be one that can return the uplink signal from the modem also. That one likely can't.

L1011 wrote: »
    Needs to be one that can return the uplink signal from the modem also. That one likely can't.

This is the one going from the box on the wall of the house I am currently sitting in (not my own house) to the cable router and the TV. It's the same basic splitter and it's working grand. This was installed by UPC themselves.

11t8qcp.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12 thaiwolf

This works people just in time for the masters I think good idea not to advertise too much though!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Larcoon

Hi, Whats the best deal out there now for existing(Out of Contract) for BB and Phone. I heard UPC are getting tight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Got the basic tv and 120 bb Jan 14 its 60 a month
    Could I just go back to just internet?Do I have to give back the equipment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

sasta le wrote: »
    Got the basic tv and 120 bb Jan 14 its 60 a month
    Could I just go back to just internet?

Yes, assuming you entered a 12 month contract you should be now on a rolling 30 day contract. You'll need to contact them & give 30 days notice to remove the tv element of your package. They might charge you a downgrade fee - post over on the Talk to UPC forum to clarify & for details on best way to achieve what you want: http://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1546

sasta le wrote:
    Do I have to give back the equipment?
    Yes, as the equipment remains the property of UPC. You'll be contacted to arrange a mutually suitable timeframe & date for their couriers to collect it from you.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

As someone who works in the loyalty department in UPC I have great entertainment reading all your posts. All I'd say is it's completely at the agents discretion as to whether they want to give you an offer and generally the nicer you are the better the offer. If someone is rude they can generally expect no more than to be given the email address and sent on their way!

Wow can I get 12 months half price offer ?

PM sent ;););) !

Advertisement