Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 seenn00J

I got a deal last week telling them I was cancelling - 44.50/month for 6 months then 89/month for the following 6 months for:
    250mb broadband, 50 tv channels and home phone. Still keeping the old box.
    Averages out around 67/month for the year.
    I think it's only 150 (max) to get out of the contract so it may be worth my while really cancelling after the 6 months half price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

I just copped I am now out of contract. Have the 500 meg internet with 100 channels tv and world phone. Two years ago, 9 months half price, 3 months full price. About 99 quid.

Last year 6 months half price, 6 month full price at 99 quid.

Just rang them now in Limerick. Bit of a delay but that is expected. Got a no nonsense lady and explained I ring every year, get a deal, sign again. Lets do it.

Upgraded to the beast deal, new 360 tv box (the horizon is crap), 1 gig BB, same 100 channels tv and same phone. 6 months half price, 6 months full price. Think the full price is 112 and half that about 56.

Not much arguing, just polite and to the point. Happy enough with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭BhoyRayzor

Spoke to them today, explained Vodafone is €30pm for the same package, paying VM €52 at the moment, best they could do would average at €40pm for the year, said would sign up if it worked out at €35 but no budge. Told them will think about it, will ring again and if still no change will just cancel and switch to Vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭mrperty2011

Rang last Friday morning ready for fight based on previous years. On €62 a year BB including landline. I just said too expensive and wanted to cancel. I called out other offers vodafone eir etc and got 6 months half price. They said usual won’t get same speed and those competitor offers only introductory. I then said not enough and they came back straight away with 9 months half price so signed there and then. Kept it all polite and civil. All of 5 - 10 mins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭finglashoop

got rid of tv and phone
    went broadband only and upped speed and bought two android sticks

71 per month for 500mb
    54 for 9months 71 for 3 months.

not much saving but i get a discount every year and its worth it at full in reality based on our usage / devices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

A small update on my 9 months offer from Virgin Media.

I got 9 months contract half price off offer with a 12 months overall contract in December. And yet they still used some financial gymnastics and charged me €65 as per the old rate.

I'm going to ask for 10 months next time. And If they don't agree, they can take a hike!

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

CyberGhost wrote: »
    A small update on my 9 months offer from Virgin Media.

I got 9 months contract in December. And yet they still used some financial gymnastics and charged me €65 as per the old rate.

I'm going to ask for 10 months next time. And If they don't agree, they can take a hike!

A slight correction there, you got a nine month offer on a 12 month contract, not a nine month contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Aquos76 wrote: »
    A slight correction there, you got a nine month offer on a 12 month contract, not a nine month contract.

Thanks! Corrected.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

am i better to wait till after my contact ends? (1st of feb)?
    currently on 250 plan with tv for 55, it's going up to 92 next month.

Called and got offered 74 for 9months (same package)
    or
    76 for 12 months with 240mb

Called again, Got someone who really didnt want to give me a deal, I pushed for the 67 per month, they didnt want to entertain the idea, Canceled. Signed up under my partners name, got the €67 deal, and a 50 euro one4allvoucher :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

I'm out of contract. Currently have 500Mb BB and World Talk unlimited. No TV package. Currently paying €67.49p/m. Bill in both names.

We use netflix and have amazon prime video. Tired of netflix selection, but don't watch a lot of tv. Maybe 3 movies a week. Kids watch an hour a day and not every day.

I'm looking at "The Big Bundle" and "The Bigger than Big Bundle". Like the idea of knowing the price is steady for the full 12 months and both packages cost me the same or less and they add TV. The TV pack is not very appealing if i'm honest, but it doesn't cost anymore than i'm currently paying for the same BB and phone pack. and is only €96 more for the year were I to get a deal on my current package where I would lose world calls (however rarely used)

Am I likely to get this deal by renewing my contract AND get the €50 voucher :p ?

Edit: At first they tried to sell me 1Gb increase for an extra €10 per month. I explained that would be pointless and I would be happy with 100Mb...that I wanted a lower price. Was offered 3 months half price and I got 6 months half price on my existing deal after a bit of chatting. Happy with that.

Stay Free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Got a text from them, a mobile number obviously, asking me to reply if I was still intent on proceeding with my cancelation and wished to discuss this further.

This normal?

If I reply what'm I likely to get? More of the same?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    Got a text from them, a mobile number obviously, asking me to reply if I was still intent on proceeding with my cancelation and wished to discuss this further.

This normal?

If I reply what'm I likely to get? More of the same?

i rang them when text arrived and was told it was not a virgin number. i asked how they got my details. couldnt explain it to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭tommyjin83

i rang them when text arrived and was told it was not a virgin number. i asked how they got my details. couldnt explain it to me

I got the same text after gave them my cancellation notice about 2 weeks ago. Basically I had pushed for the 9 month half price deal but wouldn't give me and the best they could do was 6 month. So I said fine, cancel it. Waited for approx 2 weeks and received a text from Virgin then replied yes I wanted to discuss further so chatted to someone via text and after a few minutes discussion got the 9 month half price deal. But only did it to upgrade me from 360mb to 500 mb broadband only. 35.5euro per month and 71 thereafter. I did try to push for 10 month half price but was told no way as they have never given that to anybody so system won't even be able to process it. Anyways, it was worth a try,

So yeah, if you want to talk to them then reply the text and they will text you back.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

I never got the text, no follow up call from the Loyalty Team. With 3 days until my cancellation date, I rang them and they still wouldn't offer me 9 months half price, just 6 months. So after 11 years with Virgin Media, I'm moving to Vodafone. Double the speed for ~€177 less over the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Close to cancelling now. Currently on €92.50 for the Big Bundle (250mb internet, Phone and TV) Barely budged on the offers. €10 off - then €15 which was said with gusto and bad mouthing Vodafone. I explained im willing to cancel and resign up or just go with Vodafone and he didnt seem to care.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

GBX wrote: »
    Close to cancelling now. Currently on €92.50 for the Big Bundle (250mb internet, Phone and TV) Barely budged on the offers. €10 off - then €15 which was said with gusto and bad mouthing Vodafone. I explained im willing to cancel and resign up or just go with Vodafone and he didnt seem to care.

Genuinely think it's down to who you get, Some really dont seem to care if your leaving and some really want to keep you.

Raises an interesting q tho, How long do Virgin remember you as a (ex)customer, Was wondering if i could do the swap back next year, My Partners name Back to mine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

Genuinely think it's down to who you get, Some really dont seem to care if your leaving and some really want to keep you.

Raises an interesting q tho, How long do Virgin remember you as a (ex)customer, Was wondering if i could do the swap back next year, My Partners name Back to mine?

Echoing these thoughts here I have always been Lucky - this year I got a gentleman from Africa who was telling me he was a student here and he was the nicest guy you could ever meet gave me a great deal for the two accounts I had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Echoing these thoughts here I have always been Lucky - this year I got a gentleman from Africa who was telling me he was a student here and he was the nicest guy you could ever meet gave me a great deal for the two accounts I had.

Any chance you'd let us know what deals you got?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Yeah I'll give it another go and try my luck.

Valid question indeed - I was actually wondering about the bank details. If I signed up under her name but I wanted to pay for it would/could they twig its the same bank details ? Unlikely I imagine under data protection possibly?

Possibly won't matter too much anyway for me now considering Ulster Bank are looking like pulling out of Ireland so my bank details will change. But just curious really.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Any chance you'd let us know what deals you got?

Sorry: I got both accounts for half price for 9 months I just have broadband at both addresses. No TV

• Advertisement

Sorry: I got both accounts for half price for 9 months I just have broadband at both addresses. No TV

Never got the 9 months.. only ever got the 6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,624 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

GBX wrote: »
    Yeah I'll give it another go and try my luck.

Valid question indeed - I was actually wondering about the bank details. If I signed up under her name but I wanted to pay for it would/could they twig its the same bank details ? Unlikely I imagine under data protection possibly?

Possibly won't matter too much anyway for me now considering Ulster Bank are looking like pulling out of Ireland so my bank details will change. But just curious really.

It will be a good while before Ulster pull out based on the length of time it took previous banks to fully leave.

Cancel and order in your name to Irish or change the address slightly and use her details?
    Works with Sky, not sure about Virgin as the installation will be there already.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Never got the 9 months.. only ever got the 6.

As Agent Smith said it just depends on the person

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

I'd guess it also depends on your history. If you've accepted 6 months many times, are you really going to refuse it now.

Agent Smith.. MI5?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,238 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I've swapped between my OH and myself the last 3 years, might do it again in May or I'll drop TV and just go for BB.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 paulinhio

fletch wrote: »
    I never got the text, no follow up call from the Loyalty Team. With 3 days until my cancellation date, I rang them and they still wouldn't offer me 9 months half price, just 6 months. So after 11 years with Virgin Media, I'm moving to Vodafone. Double the speed for ~€177 less over the year.

I'm in the same boat. Only thing holding back from switching is uncertainty over Vodafone's service. Any idea if it's any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 paulinhio

paulinhio wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat. Only thing holding back from switching is uncertainty over Vodafone's service. Any idea if it's any good?

* Sorry, not exactly the same boat! I didn't quite pull the trigger when they said "So will I cancel your account ...". Told them I need to think about it further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,624 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

paulinhio wrote: »

I moved from Virgin to Vodafone last year as Virgin were taking the **** with their pricing.
    Vodafone, €45 for 500MB BB and TV for 1st year so I now have both wired and WIFI connections, wired is perfect, wifi is patchy at certain times.
    Haven't got round to calling them about it yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭tb66

Rang twice in last week,first time was offered 1/2 for 6 mths, second time 15 off for 9mths. Told agent I want to cancel, as its too expensive and he didnt argue. He immediately gave speech about returning goods etc.Even had the audacity to ask if I was interested in their mobile sim card offer!!.... Are Virgin actually pushing customers away, cause thats the impression I was getting..Vodafone here I come.

Advertisement