Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Maybe someone here could answer this for me. I'm thinking of getting tv from VM next year when my contract with sky ends. I'd need 2 boxes as that's what I have now. Do both boxes with VM have the same features? When I got sky 7 years ago I had to pay extra for a "proper" box in the second room which I didn't mind doing. Is it the same with VM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,487 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

No. the main box is the horizon HD box and the second box would be the older HD DVR. it'll still have on demand and all that but won't have the apps, it'll only record 2 shows at a time (you need to be watching one of them, like on a non Q sky box)

colm_mcm wrote: »
    No. the main box is the horizon HD box and the second box would be the older HD DVR. it'll still have on demand and all that but won't have the apps, it'll only record 2 shows at a time (you need to be watching one of them, like on a non Q sky box)

That would be ok, it's better than the dire view only box that sky were offering at the time. Have you got the tv service? If so, what do you think of it? I had their old hd dvr setup in 2008 and it wasn't great, a lot of freezing etc. I'd say all that is gone here with the newly installed cabling and cabinets, are itv2 3 and 4 still on it? The lists on the site say they are but elsewhere it says subject to regional variations.

I don't watch much TV. I got rid of the second box earlier this year as it wasn't getting used.
    To be honest the TV guide on the horizon box is infuriating sometimes. There's no page up/down function. Other than that the menus are a bit illogical but in terms of pwrformance it's been perfect for the last few years.
    The second box is grand too. They made some software improvements a few years back so it's more responsive. Still feels old next to even a sky+ box though.
    The fact that they haven't fixed the day one obvious issues with the horizon boxes after all these years, given that the on demand content is dismal, I get the feeling there will be a whole new TV platform at some stage from Virgin.
    In short it's not as good as sky but better than eir or Vodafone Tv.

Yeah i have itv 2 3 and 4. I think some content isn't shown for rights reasons. If you're watching in a sky box or free sat it doesn't know you're outside the uk so you wouldn't have that issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

The horizon box and TV guide is terrible in my opinion. It's really laggy and freezes for a few seconds every now and again when changing channel. Sky box and interface are years ahead.

The annnoying thing is that the box is quite capable hardware wise, it's just let down by a bad interface and listening to focus groups too much pre-launch while largely ignoring customers post-launch. It wouldn't take much to make it really good.
    that said I don't really like the new sky box either.

Original Sky+ box was the most intuitive and user friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭torrevieja

Ended up getting 64.50 for 9 months and 107 for 3 months got 240 mb broadband too , new router on way and a tv box change

thats with 3 tv boxes and a recordable one

That's good going considering you have 3 or 4 boxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭alexonhisown

torrevieja wrote: »
    Ended up getting 64.50 for 9 months and 107 for 3 months got 240 mb broadband too , new router on way and a tv box change

thats with 3 tv boxes and a recordable one

Thats a good deal you got

• Advertisement

its 3 boxes all together and one of them is recordable

if u get the girl i got u should get it :D

by the way is anybodys broadband slow at the moment ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭ronano

by the way is anybodys broadband slow at the moment ?

Yes! In Fairview dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Mines slow too. Haven't had time to investigate why. This forum isn't the place for those issues. I must see if I can renegotiate a deal though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭ruddy1987

Signed up to the boards offer in August, got my €50 One for All voucher and I am 4 months into 6 months half price, called to cancel and got a new 12 month contract with 9 months half price!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭- bo -

FrostyJim wrote: »
    Did u have a discount last year? I was told they couldn't do any better than 6 months as I had a discount last year.

I did. I previously rang to 'cancel' a few months ago and either got 4 or 6 of my next 12 months half price. That was about 9 months back. And now I've got a further 9 months half price.

Each time they started out with weak offers (a tenner off for 3 months this time), and once I asked them for the details on how to cancel, they stepped it up - I have 25 quid off for the next 9 months now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭kooga

Just off the phone to virgin on behalf of my in laws

They have digital value and multiroom and are currently paying €41 pm going up by €1.50 to €42.50.

new 12 month contract paying €31 pm. so a reduction of €11.50 pm x 12 = €138

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,921 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Had a second stab at bartering with them saying i'd like to cancel but they wouldn't budge on the discount but managed to get 6 months at €25 then 6 months at €50 for 240Mb anytime world and free new hub.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

kooga wrote: »
    Just off the phone to virgin on behalf of my in laws

They have digital value and multiroom and are currently paying €41 pm going up by €1.50 to €42.50.

new 12 month contract paying €31 pm. so a reduction of €11.50 pm x 12 = €138

Got the new contract emailed to me and it shows a further reduction of 3.50€ for the self serve so will now be paying €27.50 pm a saving of €15 euro over the new price or €180 pa . Glad I rang up

how long does it take to get the email contract ?

also got broadband up to 240mb i havent got the router yet

she said it would take 24 hours to kick in the extra speed but must say my broadband has been really slow the last few days

so did a virgin test :
    Last Result:
    Download Speed: 2878 kbps (359.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 4150 kbps (518.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Latency: 14 ms
    Jitter: 0 ms
    11/18/2016, 10:56:42 PM

something wrong

Ps How do i know the 24 channels are in hd nothing showing on screen HD?

Horizon box doesn't come with a non HD option.
    Do you have the standard to pack or the one with all the music and documentaries?

You wouldn't usually get hd on the extra boxes, just the main one.

• Advertisement

the 100 tv package dont have any sky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,308 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Delighted. Broadband is grand but the tv is absolute ****e. I was looking for a way to cancel. thanks op.

the 100 tv package dont have any sky

You should have HD versions of BBC/RTE etc. Horizon has standard HD anyway.

You should have HD versions of BBC/RTE etc. Horizon has standard HD anyway.

does it have the hd symbol on the page or do i turn off the tv box and turn on again ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Mr. Potty

Just wondering why you guys are paying more than €1,000 per year on TV and broadband when you can get free to air tv with all the same channels Virgin give and you can get similar (and better) boxes to pause, record etc? Really the only thing we should be paying Virgin for is broadband and i see someone saying they got top speed for average €450 per annum. Virgin are screwing you by renting their boxes at a rate of €110 per year for each box!!! Bloody celtic tiger back in some households anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,921 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Mr. Potty wrote: »
    Just wondering why you guys are paying more than €1,000 per year on TV and broadband when you can get free to air tv with all the same channels Virgin give and you can get similar (and better) boxes to pause, record etc? Really the only thing we should be paying Virgin for is broadband and i see someone saying they got top speed for average €450 per annum. Virgin are screwing you by renting their boxes at a rate of €110 per year for each box!!! Bloody celtic tiger back in some households anyway!

You don't get all the channels that you get on cable on fta. Some of them yes, but not all.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

Perhaps he's suggesting we should all be illegally streaming channels, or using a dodgybox connected to a dish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Cost to change to FTA properly is a lot. Basic horizon is an extra 30 or so a month. Maybe less if you have a deal. The box is garbage that is true. But it has a combined EPG for a couple of weeks ahead. Is that even possible with FTA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Mr. Potty

Perhaps he's suggesting we should all be illegally streaming channels, or using a dodgybox connected to a dish?

There's nothing illegal with saerview and a satellite, it's free after initial set up costs and it has most channels.

In my house what gets watched is the discovery channels, MTV channels, Sky1, Disney etc. None of these can be got free to air.

Of course you can get free channels but it's not correct to say paid TV and free to air are similar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

Mr. Potty wrote: »

Not all of us are able to get saorview or FTA or even Sky. I live in an apartment and the signal is blocked because of really big trees at the back of my apartment so have no option but to keep VM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

I'm on the €60 360Mb Mobile World package and got the email re: contract changes.

Gonna call up now to cancel. What's the best number to call and what are the best deals are going at the moment that people have got?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭James Delaney

Just wondering, what was your contract changes ?
    Is your contract due to expire ?
    I have basic horizon with Mobile World & 240MB & didn't receive any notification if contract changes.

I presume by a contract, you mean a Price Increase ?

Just wondering, what was your contract changes ?
    Is your contract due to expire ?
    I have basic horizon with Mobile World & 240MB & didn't receive any notification if contract changes.

I presume by a contract, you mean a Price Increase ?

from my experience:
    I got notified of the price increase
    I contacted virgin media
    renegotiated my package - got a reduction, it was explained to me over the phone that this was a new 12 month contract with a 14 day cooling off period
    that evening I received an email showing my new price and various T&C's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭James Delaney

What was the Price Increase for ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭jakdublin

I called and upgraded my broadband package so got a four month discount. Over the 12 month contract, it works out that I'm actually now paying around €4 less a month for a faster package (or €6.50 less if I'd done nothing and taken the increase). Just have to remember to call again this time next year when the contract is up and see if I can get a similar deal again.

What was the Price Increase for ?

the tv was going up €1.50

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭ja1986

Hi guys.I rang about cancelling last week over the price changes.I was just gone off the 9month half price so delighted to be able to cancel contract with no fee. Rang and the woman offered me 4months half price so I said no and to cancel. I got a text about collection of equipment so I rang back and the other lady offered me 9months half price. Happy days !

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭leo2a6

ja1986 wrote: »
    Hi guys.I rang about cancelling last week over the price changes.I was just gone off the 9month half price so delighted to be able to cancel contract with no fee. Rang and the woman offered me 4months half price so I said no and to cancel. I got a text about collection of equipment so I rang back and the other lady offered me 9months half price. Happy days !

did u need to upgrade to get the 9 months ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭LG1234

How much is it just for the broadband? I only get the basic TV and I'd actually have more channels if I just got the free view/saorview box.

Also do I need a satellite for one of them boxes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭jakdublin

LG1234 wrote: »
    How much is it just for the broadband? I only get the basic TV and I'd actually have more channels if I just got the free view/saorview box.

Also do I need a satellite for one of them boxes?

They've packages for €50 and €60 - 240mb and 360mb (with half price for first four months). You don't need a satellite for a box, but you'll get a more reliable service. Going the freeview route involves a bit of work and some basic technical knowhow, but there's a big saving. I gave up paying for TV last year and while you can get going quickly enough, it took me months to get a reliable set up with a TV guide and recording abilities. Most of the boxes won't let you record, but with a satellite box, you can.

hi guys just did a speed test suppos to be 240 mb does this result look right :

Last Result:
    Download Speed: 32592 kbps (4074 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 21337 kbps (2667.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Jitter: 3 ms
    11/22/2016, 10:22:22 PM

hi guys just did a speed test suppos to be 240 mb does this result look right :

Last Result:
    Download Speed: 32592 kbps (4074 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 21337 kbps (2667.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Jitter: 3 ms
    11/22/2016, 10:22:22 PM

What do you think Einstein?

jca wrote: »
    What do you think Einstein?

thats why im asking Mr Trump

thats why im asking Mr Trump

Asking what? This isn't a speedtest thread. You just want to whinge about a ****ty speedtest result, probably done on wireless. There are plenty of threads about improving your VM speeds. Be warned you might have to spend a few bob but it's well worth it.

• Advertisement

jca wrote: »
    Asking what? This isn't a speedtest thread. You just want to whinge about a ****ty speedtest result, probably done on wireless. There are plenty of threads about improving your VM speeds. Be warned you might have to spend a few bob but it's well worth it.

Go back to ur hole like a good kid...:pac:

Go back to ur hole like a good kid...:pac:

Your speedtest result is bad, happy now??? Use a cable connection for the next one....you do need decent hardware to get the full 240.

The VM supplied white hub gives decent performance. 114mb on my phone, a good bit more on my laptop (can't remember the exact figure)

The VM supplied white hub gives decent performance. 114mb on my phone, a good bit more on my laptop (can't remember the exact figure)

It was hit and miss with me. I went for the Archer C8 with the VM hub in modem mode. I'm very happy with the results. Saying that, there's nothing like the speed from the wired connection to a gigabit desktop port.

Just got the 6 months half price ,
    got the Irish call center.
    very easy to deal with

Thanks OP

• Advertisement
Advertisement