Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭biebiebie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

With MMDS switch off looming (and in effect already in some areas) that was inevitable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭fuse

Got a call this evening from Virgin media guy, pretty hard to understand, so I had to ask him to repeat things often.
    He basically, out of the blue, offered me horizon TV box, broadband and phone for 15e for the first 4 months.
    Great I said and how much after that...
    35e
    oh ok, and the contract period?
    18 months. Plus free installation.

Hmmm that seems pretty good actually. He asked did I agree to the terms & conditions, I said no because I haven't seen them. He is to email them to me. But I agreed to the offer after confirming that I'd be able to cancel within the 14 day cooling off period.

A few months ago I cancelled the TV service and went to just broadband and phone. So that may have had something to do with it.

Anybody else get reeled in like this? Seems like a decent offer... am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭BLUEYK

fuse wrote: »
    Got a call this evening from Virgin media guy, pretty hard to understand, so I had to ask him to repeat things often.
    He basically, out of the blue, offered me horizon TV box, broadband and phone for 15e for the first 4 months.
    35e

Hmmm that seems pretty good actually. He asked did I agree to the terms & conditions, I said no because I haven't seen them. He is to email them to me. But I agreed to the offer after confirming that I'd be able to cancel within the 14 day cooling off period.

A few months ago I cancelled the TV service and went to just broadband and phone. So that may have had something to do with it.

Anybody else get reeled in like this? Seems like a decent offer... am I missing something?

I take it that's on top of what you currently pay? So your taking back tv for 15 and then 35 on top of current bill? If not and that's all three then if true that's the by far the best deal yet. I expect that's adding tv only back to existing package though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭fuse

BLUEYK wrote: »
    I take it that's on top of what you currently pay? So your taking back tv for 15 and then 35 on top of current bill? If not and that's all three then if true that's the by far the best deal yet. I expect that's adding tv only back to existing package though.

That's a good point. I did think of that when on to him, and asked him and he said that would be the total.
    At the same time, he spoke very unclearly and not very professionally. Mumbly, pronunciation not great so I will definitely be re-confirming that. The call did come from their number 2458600 and he had my name at the start. Probably a call centre in asia?

My fear now is that they will kick off the new contract from today and 14days later nothing will have changed, but it's then too late for me to opt-out. So I'll have to keep on top of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Sarn

That looks a bit too good to be true as full price for that setup would normally be €80-85. If it's genuine, grab it.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Banshee2003

Frustrating thing for me is trying to communicate with them , I've cancelled two different accounts and they don't seem to be able to compute it, never mind offer me a better deal.

Ive been asked to resend my cancellation email twice now after they became confused on the phone.

Madness.

Is there a direct number to get through to the Irish department?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

biebiebie wrote: »
    That is just TV though, a lot of people are swapping their cable subscription for Netflix.
    I imagine their Broadband numbers are stable or slowly increasing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

daveyjoe wrote: »
    That is just TV though, a lot of people are swapping their cable subscription for Netflix.

Thats in the article too:
    "Virgin's broadband growth has slowed considerably, rising 2pc on the same time last year to 371,200. It is the company’s slowest rate of broadband customer growth in Ireland since it introduced the service."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,433 ✭✭✭✭L1011

daveyjoe wrote: »

Broadband dropped quarter on quarter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭ciano316

Is the only way to get a decent deal by saying you are going to cancel?

I was paying for TV, Phone broadband with sky sports and 2 multiroom. It was 167 so I asked for a reduction so they bundled eveything for 139e a month with a horizon box and 240MB broadband. That was just this week though.

Should I ring the loyalty team as well to see what they offer or am I stuck with this now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

ciano316 wrote: »
    Is the only way to get a decent deal by saying you are going to cancel?

I was paying for TV, Phone broadband with sky sports and 2 multiroom. It was 167 so I asked for a reduction so they bundled eveything for 139e a month with a horizon box and 240MB broadband. That was just this week though.

Should I ring the loyalty team as well to see what they offer or am I stuck with this now?

Yes, unfortunately, you have to threaten to cancel in order to get their best offer. It's also dependant on a number of factors. Know your numbers and have a pen and calculator ready. Talk to them about what you want. Sometimes you might not get a good offer becuase of the level of services that you have. I.e. If you have Horizon Max and Sky Sports then they aren't going to be able to discount that much.

Just try to get yourself a better deal. The more you do it the better you'll get at it. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Still no call, sent cancellation email on Saturday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,624 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Talked to them today about wanting to cancel after the €4 increase coming.
    After 10 mins of being offered nothing, I gave up trying.
    Sounded like it was a take it or leave it option with nothing else coming.
    Now have to decide whether to cancel or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭lensman

Just off the virgin media live chat where I requested their cancellation dept email address, rep wouldn't give me it & said I'd have to call them on the phone,
    I'm sure it's within my rights to request it & their duty to supply, I told rep I hadn't time to wait on the phone & then go through a long drawn out haggling process but nothing doing, :(

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Adoolan85

Just off the phone to loyalty department, called them direct (1890940251).

After beginning cancellation process of TV, Broadband and phone package last Friday, got on to them today stating I was open to keeping only broadband if discount was offered.

After 1st derisory offer of 240mb half price for 4 months, straight out told them I would only be interested in 360mb package half price for 6 month on 12 month contract. Girl took a minute or 2 to speak to her supervisor and came back saying they were happy to agree to that deal.

All in all call only took about 10 mins and was quite straight forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 312 ✭✭Andy454

fuse wrote: »
    35e

Be very careful - unless you recorded that call!
    My brother was offered the same deal - they even sent him a box and where about to activate - but I smelled a rat and told him to double check with the billing department -it turned out the price was 60 euro after the first 4 months - when he told him about what the sales person had told him they said no such offer existed - they went back and checked the call and then they apologized for the misinformation and said if he wanted the service it would be 60 euro a month after 4 months.

he was within the 14 day cooling off period so he told them to collect the box and cancel the additional tv service.

Andy454 wrote: »
    Be very careful - unless you recorded that call!
    My brother was offered the same deal - they even sent him a box and where about to activate - but I smelled a rat and told him to double check with the billing department -it turned out the price was 60 euro after the first 4 months - when he told him about what the sales person had told him they said no such offer existed - they went back and checked the call and then they apologized for the misinformation and said if he wanted the service it would be 60 euro a month after 4 months.

he was within the 14 day cooling off period so he told them to collect the box and cancel the additional tv service.
    Thats exactly why I wanted the cancellation dept email address so I had a record of all interaction with them, I had a similar problem to your brother a few years ago with UPC who swore blind they never agreed to an offer they made on the phone.:mad:
    **UPDATE**
    My existing package is 240Mb BB & anytime world phone at €45 per month subject to €5 increase in march.
    I took the plunge & called loyalty dept on 1890940251 & got through to rep, (offshore manila?)
    1st offer was same package at €30 x 4mth then €50 after, 12mth contract. - nah says I.
    2nd offer was upgrade to 360Mb mobile world €30 x 4 mths then €60 after,12mth contract - nah says I.
    3rd offer upgrade to 360Mb mobile world €30 x 6mths then €60 after,12mth contract. - sounds good says I.
    I accepted their 3rd offer but tried to wiggle a free phone handset too but no dice, anyway I get the new comal modem & get shut
    of the TC7200 junk,happy enough :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 312 ✭✭Andy454

The email is: cancel@virginmedia.ie

But they just take cancellations -

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

lensman wrote: »
    Just off the virgin media live chat where I requested their cancellation dept email address, rep wouldn't give me it & said I'd have to call them on the phone,
    I'm sure it's within my rights to request it & their duty to supply, I told rep I hadn't time to wait on the phone & then go through a long drawn out haggling process but nothing doing, :(

Darren by any chance?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Hey could anyone confirm when the cancellation date is?

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭sonandheir

What's the coverage like on their mobile service? Thinking of agreeing to move mobile to them if they give a god 6 month half price deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    a month after you got your increase email.

30 days from date of your price increase letter.

Andy454 wrote: »
    The email is: cancel@virginmedia.ie

But they just take cancellations -
    thanks...but see my previous post, I updated it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Adoolan85 wrote: »
    30 days from date of your price increase letter.

Crap lost the letter....

Crap lost the letter....

check your spam email

brightkane wrote: »
    Darren by any chance?
    No not Darren, cant recall

My existing package is 240Mb BB & anytime world phone at €45 per month subject to €5 increase in march.
    I took the plunge & called loyalty dept on 1890940251 & got through to rep, (offshore manila?)
    1st offer was same package at €30 x 4mth then €50 after, 12mth contract. - nah says I.
    2nd offer was upgrade to 360Mb mobile world €30 x 4 mths then €60 after,12mth contract - nah says I.
    3rd offer upgrade to 360Mb mobile world €30 x 6mths then €60 after,12mth contract. - sounds good says I.
    I accepted their 3rd offer but tried to wiggle a free phone handset too but no dice, anyway I get the new comal modem & get shut of the TC7200 junk,happy enough :-)

• Advertisement

As a matter of interest, I already have 2 Siemens gigaset c46 handsets & c460 base station with works flawlessly with Blueface phone service, Siemens tell me it's 100% compatible with the Siemens a220 phone Virgin supply.
    the base station connects to my virgin modem via lan cable & the base station connects to my handsets via wireless, does anyone out there have Virgins current a220 handset & can they tell me if it comes with a base station like my existing setup or does their current phone connect direct to the modem via cable of wifi?....hanks

Advertisement