Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,433 ✭✭✭✭L1011

DECT phones are generally compatible with all DECT base-stations; the reprogramming procedure should be in the handbook.

UPC supply a bog standard DECT phone. They tell you "have" to use a DECT phone primarly because they don't want people moaning about their hall phone being moved to the living room as thats usually where the box is.

My parents use four handsets from three different manufactuers with their current base station. Even if they're the same maker they need to be paired/programmed to your base station for security reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,949 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

lensman wrote: »
    My existing package is 240Mb BB & anytime world phone at €45 per month subject to €5 increase in march.
    I took the plunge & called loyalty dept on 1890940251 & got through to rep, (offshore manila?)
    1st offer was same package at €30 x 4mth then €50 after, 12mth contract. - nah says I.
    2nd offer was upgrade to 360Mb mobile world €30 x 4 mths then €60 after,12mth contract - nah says I.
    3rd offer upgrade to 360Mb mobile world €30 x 6mths then €60 after,12mth contract. - sounds good says I.
    I accepted their 3rd offer but tried to wiggle a free phone handset too but no dice, anyway I get the new comal modem & get shut of the TC7200 junk,happy enough :-)

Sounds good, did you have to threaten to cancel? Also is the new modem free? as terms and condition says €60 for replacement equipment?

Also anyone know if you just accept the €5 euro increase that's not agreeing to a new 12 month contract is it? I got the 240Mb package maybe 15 months ago so I'm not in their 12 month contract at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Just off the phone to loyalty

Was on 18 month contract, €25 (up to €30) for 12 months, €80 (up to €85) for 6 months

120mb BB, phone and Horizon Max TV

Rejected first offer and took the second:

€35 for 240mb bb, phone and horizon max for 4 months, 75 for next two months, 80 for last six

That was his last offer so didnt have much choice, im not with them very long, and glad to be out of the 18 month contract!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭frash

Call took 12 mins - talking to a Scottish bloke

Upgraded to 360MB (from 240MB) with the half price for the first 6 months

I know people were getting 9 months in the early days but I've dragged my heels on this one up to now so happy with my lot now.

frash wrote: »
    Call took 12 mins - talking to a Scottish bloke

Upgraded to 360MB (from 240MB) with the half price for the first 6 months

I know people were getting 9 months in the early days but I've dragged my heels on this one up to now so happy with my lot now.

did you just threaten to cancel the service? What way did you approach them?

I just tried ringing their loyalty department and they said they are having technical issues and to ring back in an hour!

• Advertisement

did you just threaten to cancel the service? What way did you approach them?

I just tried ringing their loyalty department and they said they are having technical issues and to ring back in an hour!

I said I'd like to leave due to increase & the fact I'm not getting the 240MB most of the time anyway.
    He started down the "new modem on the 360MB package might fix that" path so I let him go.
    He said he could do 3 months at €50 - I said no
    Then he said he could probably do 3 months at half price - I said no
    Next offer was 4 months at half price - I said if you can do 6 months then we've a deal.
    He pretended to check with someone & then came back and agreed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,475 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

What number are yous calling?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭lensman

Sounds good, did you have to threaten to cancel? Also is the new modem free? as terms and condition says €60 for replacement equipment?

Also anyone know if you just accept the €5 euro increase that's not agreeing to a new 12 month contract is it? I got the 240Mb package maybe 15 months ago so I'm not in their 12 month contract at the moment.
    VM "can I ask why you wist to cancel"
    ME " too expensive & I found a cheaper provider"
    VM "maybe we can convince you to stay with us"
    ME "I need to make savings"
    then they started making offers.
    Never had to pay for new equipment & always do self install, I know they apply a charge if they install equipment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭fuse

Andy454 wrote: »
    Be very careful - unless you recorded that call!
    My brother was offered the same deal - they even sent him a box and where about to activate - but I smelled a rat and told him to double check with the billing department -it turned out the price was 60 euro after the first 4 months - when he told him about what the sales person had told him they said no such offer existed - they went back and checked the call and then they apologized for the misinformation and said if he wanted the service it would be 60 euro a month after 4 months.

he was within the 14 day cooling off period so he told them to collect the box and cancel the additional tv service.

Thanks. I'm expecting it to go like this. Got a reply from email customer service saying they had no record of it on my account but to call the Loyalty Team, so I'll do that tomorrow.
    Not too pushed if I don't get the TV. Have adapted well to Saorview + Internet for TV/Moves

For those of you who upgraded to 360MB....
    Did you give the delivery guy your old modem?
    It's offered in the email from Nightline but presume this is an optional electrical waste disposal thing.

Is the old router any use for anything?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭BLUEYK

For those of you who upgraded to 360MB....
    Did you give the delivery guy your old modem?
    It's offered in the email from Nightline but presume this is an optional electrical waste disposal thing.

Is the old router any use for anything?

Pretty sure you need to return the old equipment or VM will charge you for it. Just arrange a date/time and it will be collected. I upgraded and have the new white modem plugged in now with my old black one packed up ready to be collected.

A point to note if anyone has upgraded, I got my new modem Monday, been chasing daily with VM on live chat to confirm my account is on the upgraded 360 package, keep being told it will be 24 hrs, still not upgraded AFAIK.

BLUEYK wrote: »
    Pretty sure you need to return the old equipment or VM will charge you for it. Just arrange a date/time and it will be collected. I upgraded and have the new white modem plugged in now with my old black one packed up ready to be collected.

A point to note if anyone has upgraded, I got my new modem Monday, been chasing daily with VM on live chat to confirm my account is on the upgraded 360 package, keep being told it will be 24 hrs, still not upgraded AFAIK.

I can't see anywhere saying I'll be charged for the old one.
    It's just I'm not at home when the delivery comes and I can't rely on MrsFrash disconnecting the old one.

In the email from Virgin it just says:
    "Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment of an equivalent type or which fulfilled the same function as the supplied equipment can be returned free of charge on a one-to-one basis. (Good for you and good for the planet too.)"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

got my latest bill €43.24 happy days

That was frustrating, rang the 1890 number and got onto Manilla, the best they would give me upgrade to 360 package half price for 4 months, I pushed him for 6 months but he wouldn't budge, threatened to cancel, but no joy, he was going to start getting the process going on the cancellation, I said not to cancel as I wanted to consider my options! Very disappointing, not sure if anyone has had similar experience, is it worth ringing back or just leave it, he updated my account with the details of his offer.

That was frustrating, rang the 1890 number and got onto Manilla, the best they would give me upgrade to 360 package half price for 4 months, I pushed him for 6 months but he wouldn't budge, very disappointed :-(

Is it just pot-luck if you get the Manilla support centre?
    I rang yesterday around 4:45 and got through to a Scottish bloke who agreed to 6 months quite quickly.

Is it just pot-luck if you get the Manilla support centre?
    I rang yesterday around 4:45 and got through to a Scottish bloke who agreed to 6 months quite quickly.

I think you were very lucky to get the Scottish guy, I tried ringing last night and the message was they were upgrading their systems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

That was frustrating, rang the 1890 number and got onto Manilla, the best they would give me upgrade to 360 package half price for 4 months, I pushed him for 6 months but he wouldn't budge, threatened to cancel, but no joy, he was going to start getting the process going on the cancellation, I said not to cancel as I wanted to consider my options! Very disappointing, not sure if anyone has had similar experience, is it worth ringing back or just leave it, he updated my account with the details of his offer.

I called yesterday and was offered 360mb,mobile world,"play tv"(15 channels)

For €37.50 6 months,€75 6 months, 12 month contract,free sky sports+movies for 2 months,no modem activation fee.I said I would think it over,he said he would note the offer on my account.

I called back at 8.30pm,got a different guy,he said i was not offered this package for €37.50 and €75(despite me having got the first guy to confirm the offer twice)that it was €45 and €90.

They can get stuffed.I am cancelling the direct debit,they are due a bill for €90.
    I will not have them make a liar out of me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

magentis wrote: »
    I called yesterday and was offered 360mb,mobile world,"play tv"(15 channels)

For €37.50 6 months,€75 6 months, 12 month contract,free sky sports+movies for 2 months,no modem activation fee.I said I would think it over,he said he would note the offer on my account.

I called back at 8.30pm,got a different guy,he said i was not offered this package for €37.50 and €75(despite me having got the first guy to confirm the offer twice)that it was €45 and €90.

They can get stuffed.I am cancelling the direct debit,they are due a bill for €90.
    I will not have them make a liar out of me.

You can't cancel a direct debit, thats the point of them, only the person who set it up (Virgin) can cancel it.

I've only ever got a good deal with going through the whole cancelation, you can threaten all you want but until you go through with it they know its a bluff. You then have 30days to see what they really can be pushed to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

pippip wrote: »
    You can't cancel a direct debit, thats the point of them, only the person who set it up (Virgin) can cancel it.

I've only ever got a good deal with going through the whole cancelation, you can threaten all you want but until you go through with it they know its a bluff. You then have 30days to see what they really can be pushed to.

Its no bluff.

You are wrong,of course you are entitled to cancel a direct debit on your own bank account!

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Seesee

that's not true you can cancel a direct debit very easily with most online bank systems, I did it a while back for a certain contentious utility supplier not tv

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,433 ✭✭✭✭L1011

pippip wrote: »

You are entitled to cancel / block direct debits as well as force a refund under SEPA.

This doesn't stop any liabilities you may have to the supplier who was charging you, though.

Listen! when I called last week they wouldn't even give me the 360Mb/mobile world package deal ay €30 x 4mths, they said it was for new customers only & wanted €60 per mth from the start, this week I not only got the deal I got it €30 x 6 mths (half price) on a 12 mth contract, call back & say you found a cheaper provider, you have to call their bluff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,475 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Can you only do this when your contract is over or whatever?

I got the email saying prices are being raised by 5 euro and that to call before Feb 17th to cancel. Is it pointless to try calling now?

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭BLUEYK

I can't see anywhere saying I'll be charged for the old one.
    It's just I'm not at home when the delivery comes and I can't rely on MrsFrash disconnecting the old one.

In the email from Virgin it just says:
    "Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment of an equivalent type or which fulfilled the same function as the supplied equipment can be returned free of charge on a one-to-one basis. (Good for you and good for the planet too.)"

You can arrange for them to collect the old equipment at a later date to when they deliver the new modem. That's what I am doing. I am not risking them charging me for not returning the old modem.

Anyone else experience on this?

Ush1 wrote: »
    Can you only do this when your contract is over or whatever?

I got the email saying prices are being raised by 5 euro and that to call before Feb 17th to cancel. Is it pointless to try calling now?
    Yes, you missed the boat, got mine on the 19th Jan & called on the 17th Feb & got a decent cancellation deal, you could try telling them you understood you had 30 working days to cancel not calendar days, ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

I have 240mb broadband and home phone, which I've never used, and never will as I don't even have a handset.

Called through 1890 and they tried to offer me more minutes on my phone deal, which I had already explained that I did not use.

Asked to be put through to cancellations and got a loyalty dude. He first offered me a tenner off my new bill price (€50 a month after €5 price increase) and I said no. Then he offered me 4 months half price, and I said no.

He said that's all he could offer, I said grand, cancel me so, and he "put me on hold" and came back a minute later and said he'd do half price for 6 months and €50 a month after that.

That'll do me.

JCDUB wrote: »
    I have 240mb broadband and home phone, which I've never used, and never will as I don't even have a handset.

Called through 1890 and they tried to offer me more minutes on my phone deal, which I had already explained that I did not use.

Asked to be put through to cancellations and got a loyalty dude. He first offered me a tenner off my new bill price (€50 a month after €5 price increase) and I said no. Then he offered me 4 months half price, and I said no.

He said that's all he could offer, I said grand, cancel me so, and he "put me on hold" and came back a minute later and said he'd do half price for 6 months and €50 a month after that.

That'll do me.

Sounds like you got my Scottish dude from yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

I got that guy, would;t give me more than 6 months, thought i was on a good deal already, pretty convincing, but I held out called again and got my 9 months :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

got same deal almost month ago,but that included new router and bump in speed to 360,so considering that you would pay 600e per month or bb either way worked out ok,only unhappy with one thing since i was promised 30e for first 4 months and 60 there after i did switch over next day i was billed,which is near middle of the month,but now got bill with close to 5e,explanation was that i switched over mid month even thou i pay on middle date,thus didnt bother to go into full battle,as at the end increase in speed and new router seems fair deal-given that upc is fastest bb atm in Ireland,and only thing i care is bb speed and so far theres no competition that i see or would trade for,after being customer of eir for close to 7 years and paying 20e per month for 200kb speed and phone line that was never used in its life.
    there was crying thread over in VM section,and in this day and age where people are ripped of 2e per bottle of water or paying insane taxes on road insurance at least VM managed to deliver deal for me in 3 days period as getting new router and setting speed up.While its not great over wifi but new router has better mac table thus less disconnections if any at all when downloading files,just dont see many people using common sense and overpaying for services like tv,when you can stream most stuff that screens next day in us rather then waiting to watch some crap 3 months later,while i get idea HD channels are nice to have,but with fast BB and some server setup you can have full bluray stuff running in background all night to last one weeks to watch afterwards.

VM goes broad but way i see if one doesn't need fast BB, or doesn't know what to do with it,pick any other service for few euros less to keep you happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭whiteboard

Called earlier from the accent, got through to Manila. First offer was €15 off for 6 months. Declined and said I knew there were half price deals on the go. Started by asking for 9 months, but no joy and wasn't budging Told them that would take 6 months. Q the obligatory a few minutes on hold followed by confirmation of offer.

Happy enough for 15 minutes work.

Advertisement