Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭balfe1990

If any Virgin Media Irish staff are reading this thread- please, please, please- bring our discontent with the ridiculous situation of trying to deal with staff in the Philippines to Management's attention- its not customer service- its customer disservice.........

They're beyond useless.

Robotically friendly and polite but they can't do their jobs. They screwed up delivery of my new box, screwed up my internet for three days when I called to fix that, then screwed up delivery of another modem sent out to rectify the inital issue.

That left me without internet again, and I spent nearly two hours being transferred and put on hold with these morons, they couldn't figure it out.

In a last ditch attempt, I ended the call and tried for someone else. Got lucky and got a guy from Limerick who solved my problem in less than FIVE MINUTES, just got someone to flick a switch on their end and that was that.

Hot tip: He told me that you will eventually be transferred to an English speaker if the system detects you've logged multiple calls with Manilla within a certain amount of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,784 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I'm thinking of cancelling the Horizon TV side of my deal and just keep the Phone and Broadband package..

Does anyone know If I will still receive the basic channels through just the coaxial cable plugged directly into the TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 photochain

Yep cancelled my horizon box over a year ago get either 16 or 17 channels through the pipe.
    Charlie19 wrote: »
    I'm thinking of cancelling the Horizon TV side of my deal and just keep the Phone and Broadband package..

Does anyone know If I will still receive the basic channels through just the coaxial cable plugged directly into the TV?

photochain wrote: »
    Yep cancelled my horizon box over a year ago get either 16 or 17 channels through the pipe.

That will do nicely, no need for the decoder for what I I'd be watching.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 photochain

Yea has plenty enough for me all the usual BBC, UTV, Sky one, mtv, e4, missed being able to record at the start but you get used to it watch a lot less telly now.
    That will do nicely, no need for the decoder for what I I'd be watching.

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

So I rang today as contract is coming to an end. Being a loyal customer since 2007 they offered me tv, broadband and phone for €80 per month :eek::eek:
    Phone and broadband for €50 or €45 if I only get off peak calls. I am disgusted and told them I am cancelling.

I have to ring back on the 18th as that's my 30 days notice. Any deals out there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭magicray

We rang today aswell, think we have been customers for over 20 years at this stage but got absolutely nowhere with them, we are on an old plan and are not getting value for money at all and just want to change to a newer one but they just don't seem to get this, the guy offered to change us for 4 months ?? when we explained we wanted to change to a new better value plan for good his computer stopped working :rolleyes:

I don't know how they are going to continue in business tbh, a cancellation email was sent this afternoon so we have 30 days to find another provider, had a chat with Sky and Eir in Liffey Valley today and they are both offering good deals at the moment , Eir have a very good deal but its a 2 year contract so that's kind of putting me off a bit
    Anyhow there you go they will just let people cancel, I really really think that it was a mistake moving their customer service out of Ireland, at the end of the day the lads over yonder sound like they are reading from a pre typed sheet and if you ask something that's not on it they get confused

Sure we will see, if they were any good we should get a phone call to see can they do anything to change our mind !

magicray wrote: »
    We rang today aswell, think we have been customers for over 20 years at this stage but got absolutely nowhere with them, we are on an old plan and are not getting value for money at all and just want to change to a newer one but they just don't seem to get this, the guy offered to change us for 4 months ?? when we explained we wanted to change to a new better value plan for good his computer stopped working :rolleyes:

I don't know how they are going to continue in business tbh, a cancellation email was sent this afternoon so we have 30 days to find another provider, had a chat with Sky and Eir in Liffey Valley today and they are both offering good deals at the moment , Eir have a very good deal but its a 2 year contract so that's kind of putting me off a bit
    Anyhow there you go they will just let people cancel, I really really think that it was a mistake moving their customer service out of Ireland, at the end of the day the lads over yonder sound like they are reading from a pre typed sheet and if you ask something that's not on it they get confused

Sure we will see, if they were any good we should get a phone call to see can they do anything to change our mind !

I got a thing in my door from virgin for new customers...€30 per month for 4 months broadband and unlimited phone calls then €50 after that.
    you could use that and get the 17 free channels.

I saw eir had a deal for €25 a month for first 12 months but it's a 24 month contract but something like€90 after that :(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Millem wrote: »
    So I rang today as contract is coming to an end. Being a loyal customer since 2007 they offered me tv, broadband and phone for €80 per month :eek::eek:
    Phone and broadband for €50 or €45 if I only get off peak calls. I am disgusted and told them I am cancelling.

I have to ring back on the 18th as that's my 30 days notice. Any deals out there?

Be very careful. Under VM's terms and conditions you have to provide 30 days written notice (cancel@virginmedia.ie) Contractually you cannot cancel over the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

I rang this morning and VM had to interest in keeping me. They gave me a great offer that was exactly what I have but for 5 EUR extra a month. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I rang this morning and VM had to interest in keeping me. They gave me a great offer that was exactly what I have but for 5 EUR extra a month. :rolleyes:

What was the deal? I have to ring them tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

Same thing happened with my mother regarding the €80 package except when she declined, the salesperson signed her up anyway. It's been months of fighting to get our money back. Eir's package seems decent enough.

Same thing happened with my mother regarding the €80 package except when she declined, the salesperson signed her up anyway. It's been months of fighting to get our money back. Eir's package seems decent enough.

Yes I was in eir on Saturday. They offered me an iphone se for €149 on deal or some phone beginning with a H for free it was €349.
    Sky sports €20 per month for 12 months but can cancel anytime, movies for and sports €24.50, 2 free months of setanta.
    I am going to ring them tomorrow and see if I don't take phone will they give a cheaper deal?

Exactly the same 'deal' as new customer offer on their website. 240mb Broadband and phone.

Edit: 12 month contract for existing customers.
    What was the deal? I have to ring them tomorrow

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

Exactly the same 'deal' as new customer offer on their website. 240mb Broadband and phone.

That's crap deal...4 months at 30 increasing to 50 on a 18 month contract...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

I think its prudent to move from virgin as they are not offering cracking deals like last year...seems they have achieved their subscription targets...

I have been offered 12 month contract, 9 months half price €40/€45 then 3 months full price €80/€90. I am trying to get a SIM card included with calls, texts, data.

I am tempted to go for it but OH thinks we should go to eir

Just to update, I have signed up for 9 months half price bb and phone €25 per month then it is €50 for 3 months. 12 month contract. Going to use 17 analogue channels and smart tv.

The mobile people didn't ring back so my mobile is going to lycamobile €15 per month unlimited calls, texts, 10gb data and free roaming 30 day contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Rang today. Contract up. I'm on the €80 deal. Been with them since 2007.
    They offered me faster broadband, more minutes and more channels (none of which I'd use) for €5 extra a month. And €15 off for the first 6 months. And a new 12 month contract. Saving of €30 over the year

Did anyone come across the Asian guy that does a little hum while you're on the phone? Very irritating..

Bring back UPC.

All is forgiven.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

I have been offered 12 month contract, 9 months half price €40/€45 then 3 months full price €80/€90. I am trying to get a SIM card included with calls, texts, data.

I am tempted to go for it but OH thinks we should go to eir
    Just to update, I have signed up for 9 months half price bb and phone €25 per month then it is €50 for 3 months. 12 month contract. Going to use 17 analogue channels and smart tv.

The mobile people didn't ring back so my mobile is going to lycamobile €15 per month unlimited calls, texts, 10gb data and free roaming 30 day contract.

If you're not paying for the TV service, they can cut off the analogue service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I could be wrong, but I think that signal just goes everywhere there is a cable

I don't see the sense in watching such low def TV on a modern TV though. You can get a Saorview or Freesat for very little. Giving you Full HD.

No they can't. As long as you have BB, you'll have the analogue channels (until they switch analogue off).

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Bring back UPC.

All is forgiven.

They never left, Virgin Media Ireland are UPC Ireland.

Liberty Global owned UPC for the past 10 years or so. About 2 years ago Liberty Global also bought Virgin Media UK. Liberty Global still owns UPC, they just rebranded it as Virgin Media Ireland.

BTW Richard Branson also has nothing to do with Virgin Media, they just license his name and use him in their ads, he has zero involvement in the business!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

bk wrote: »
    BTW Richard Branson also has nothing to do with Virgin Media, they just license his name and use him in their ads, he has zero involvement in the business!!
    I read recently that he still owns 15% of the Virgin Media company.

We have been using those 17 analogue channels for years and years on tv in kitchen. They are grand! We rarely watch the horizon tv.
    The guy who installed horizon last year said you get the 17 channels as long as you get signal in which we do for broadband. We have 3 points in the house!

At a push We may get that freesat in for the sake of cbeebies or €19 per month sky. Tbh netflix is watch is mainly used for paw patrol and peppa pig!!!!

Just saw that sky are offering €100 cashback on a prepaid MasterCard. €19 per month, 12 month contract. http://www.bonkers.ie/compare-tv-broadband-phone/sky/Z477CM/sky-original-tv-bundle/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

Just saw that sky are offering €100 cashback on a prepaid MasterCard. €19 per month, 12 month contract. http://www.bonkers.ie/compare-tv-broadband-phone/sky/Z477CM/sky-original-tv-bundle/

Nice, that works out €11.66 per month

Nice, that works out €11.66 per month

Yes, great deal. Also they have sky sports for €20 for 6 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Has anyone done that online chat thing with the loyalty team?
    I was using the chat feature on the VM website there now, asking when my contract was up (it was up a few weeks ago).
    When they told me it was already up, so i asked how i went about cancelling as it's too expensive etc. they said that would have to be the loyalty team, but they don't do chats online, and i'd need to phone that 1890940251 number?

Advertisement