Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,574 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Question guys.

Sorry if this is a Little off topic in a way.
    But my son is moving into a new ( to him ) appartment in Santry next week, It is wired for UPC only.
    He cannot have a dish.
    This plans are pretty expensive with Virgin.
    Are there any other alternatives out there for him?

Thanks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

vectra wrote: »
    Question guys.

Sorry if this is a Little off topic in a way.
    But my son is moving into a new ( to him ) appartment in Santry next week, It is wired for UPC only.
    He cannot have a dish.
    This plans are pretty expensive with Virgin.
    Are there any other alternatives out there for him?

Thanks

Stream over the internet and use a VPN for UK channels (Incognito or something similar)? Lots of us take internet only packages from Virgin/Eircom/BT/Sky/Vodafone- in most cases you can pick and choose what best suits you.

Stream over the internet and use a VPN for UK channels (Incognito or something similar)? Lots of us take internet only packages from Virgin/Eircom/BT/Sky/Vodafone- in most cases you can pick and choose what best suits you.

Thanks.

I myself have vodafone BB only and android.
    Are you saying he could get voda BB only even though the appartment is pre wired only for UPC?

How does wireless broadband fare out around Santry? Anyone experience this?

Virging would probably be the handiest but the cost of it is quite large as he is already paying large for the appartment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Has anyone done that online chat thing with the loyalty team?
    I was using the chat feature on the VM website there now, asking when my contract was up (it was up a few weeks ago).
    When they told me it was already up, so i asked how i went about cancelling as it's too expensive etc. they said that would have to be the loyalty team, but they don't do chats online, and i'd need to phone that 1890940251 number?

Right, so i gave the Manila hotline a call.
    15 mins total. 6 months half price (42.50) / 6 months full price (85.00).
    Upgraded from 120MB line to 240MB. Happy enough with that. (12 month contract).

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Jasper79

Rang up and got the same package as this, happy out .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Stylesclash07

Jasper79 wrote: »

Haha got this today to

Rang as a new customer?

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Jasper79

Rang as a new customer?

No existing customer got the same deal last year 6 months half price horizon max package

No existing customer got the same deal last year 6 months half price horizon max package

You reckon if a new customer rang this number and gave thema a sob story it might work? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

They will offer existing customers 9 months half price if you stick to your guns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭RIALTO1

Apologies, but would someone mind posting the number? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭bromley52

Use the Vomino app to ring 1890 numbers for free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

You reckon if a new customer rang this number and gave thema a sob story it might work? :D
    Jeez, man, you've been off the fags for nearly a quarter of a century and have saved €176K. And you want to haggle a few quid off your broadband? :D

Well done, btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭PeterDuggan

Millem wrote: »
    Just saw that sky are offering €100 cashback on a prepaid MasterCard. €19 per month, 12 month contract. http://www.bonkers.ie/compare-tv-broadband-phone/sky/Z477CM/sky-original-tv-bundle/

Can't find that deal on Sky or Bonkers sites. Anybody got a direct link to it on Sky?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Can't find that deal on Sky or Bonkers sites. Anybody got a direct link to it on Sky?

Must be finished .

Currently on hold to virgin over my bill. I will end up cancelling if they don't sort it. The are double billing me and charging me €12 for mobile calls even though they are included in my package. Seriously wish they had kept their customer services in Ireland :mad:

I was quoted this deal in person at the Sky stand in Liffey Valley this afternoon. I was also offered 6 months half price- and new lower internet tariffs- including unlimited 100mb tariff @ 29 Euro a month (also half price for 6 months).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,347 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

What's the approach? Say you want them to cancel your service and wait for them to offer or just come out and ask them what they'll offer to keep you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

What's the approach? Say you want them to cancel your service and wait for them to offer or just come out and ask them what they'll offer to keep you?

I had to wait until my contract had expired. I was then free to move to whatever provider offered me the best deal.
    I rang, asked how i went about cancelling with them (was written notice required etc). They asked why i wanted to leave, and i said it was too expensive to stay with them, and it kicked on from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 grandstream

Just off the phone with them. Didn't find them too bad to deal with to be honest and got the same deal on the broadband as last year, half price for six months on a 12 month contact but they bumped up the speed from 120mb to 240mb. Same procedure as last time in that the first representative on 012458000 offered no deal at all. When you then ask about the procedure for cancelling they put you through to loyalty then the real negotiations begin. Just stick to your guns when they offer anything less, then when all is done have a nice chat with a lovely lady from Manilla about the unusually nice Irish weather. Now to ring back up and negotiate a deal for my mother who is on the full package...

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭peaceboi

Got new deal yesterday, when we said we were cancelling existing contract. gave us 6 months 25e & 50e thereafter for 240mb broadband + anytime world, 12 Month contact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭CFC007

Office closed today due to bank holiday will be trying them during the week.

CFC007 wrote: »
    Office closed today due to bank holiday will be trying them during the week.

In the meanwhile- visit the larger shopping centres- EIR, Sky and Vodafone have stands all over the place offering their various wares- normally with additional on-the-spot discounts they can offer which are valid for 15 days- on top of their half price offers etc.

UPC are gone remarkably uncompetitive- even a half price offer from them doesn't compare with their competitors offerings- their only selling point now is fibre to the door- however- its not uncontended- so even this can be bettered by other providers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

^^^^
    Since when are VM offering ' fiber to the door'?

degsie wrote: »
    ^^^^
    Since when are VM offering ' fiber to the door'?

Certain areas- depending on what Eircom infrastructure has been rolled out.
    It is available in some parts of Waterford, Cork, Galway, Tipperary- and a few select areas of Dublin.

Its going to come- eventually......... Until then- depending on how far you are from the exchange- you can get up to a 100mb link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Degsie is right.

I think you might be mixing up Virgin Media and Eir/Siro.

VM do not offer fiber to consumers.

I rang yesterday for a loyalty deal and got offered nothing. Will try again on Tuesday. They appear to be logging every thing in the system as the agent had a lot of details from my last two calls.
    Certain areas- depending on what Eircom infrastructure has been rolled out.
    It is available in some parts of Waterford, Cork, Galway, Tipperary- and a few select areas of Dublin.

Its going to come- eventually......... Until then- depending on how far you are from the exchange- you can get up to a 100mb link.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Leprechaun77

The loyalty team, calling from 'Limerick' allegedly, offered me a deal this evening. I had cancelled TV and Broadband last week and gave my 30 day notice. They had initially offered me a few rubbish deals which I declined, however I had asked if there were any 'Broadband and Phone only' offers as I Find the Horizon terrible to navigate and use for TV.

There were no offers available at that point. I called again and was offered a fiver per month off broadband.....proceeded with cancellation in writing/email. I had intentions of going back for broadband so the call this evening was opportune. The offer was half price for nine months for broadband and anytime mobile (€25), and full price for the last three months. I obviously had to enter a new 12 month contract but as part of this I insisted on a new Compal router, even though it was only for 240mb. They advised that they normally only offer this for the 360mb package but they would agree in this instance. Hopefully this ac router will help increase wifi speeds.

Hopefully this ac router will help increase wifi speeds.

Your internet speed is contingent on a number of factors- of which the router itself is only one.........

1. The router (the Compal is an A/C- but it is a piece of crap)
    2. The client devices- are they also a/c
    3. The site
    4. Location (aka- co-channel interference from neighbours etc)
    5. The setup (try and mitigate between co-channel interference- lower frequencies in the case of masonry walls, which will lower the speed- but increase penetration etc etc)

If you don't have a speed boost from the Compal- it may not necessary be the fault of the router (though personally I'd put a semi reasonable piece of kit on it in bridge mode rather than use it for wifi).

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Thegalwayman

My 6 mths at half price is almost over. Can I cancel tv package and only pay the downgrade charge of I think a tenner and just go broadband only until contract ends?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Can youstill do that thing where you are an existing customer and order the same package from their site, thereby just getting the half price for 4 months etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭weldon

Forty five minutes talking to a nice person in the Customer loyalty department before getting cut off plus another ten minutes on to a seperate person, I think in the sales department (rang back after being cut off) and the result is 12 month contract, 240mb bb, anytime world phone. 25euro for 6 months and 50 for the remaining 6 months.

Advertisement