Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭PeterDuggan

The offer was half price for nine months for broadband and anytime mobile (€25), and full price for the last three months.

Are you getting broadband and Anytime Mobile for €25 for 9 months and then €50 for 3 months? I know that's what you said. I just want to be clear I'm not misunderstanding. Wow - you did well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

Are you getting broadband and Anytime Mobile for €25 for 9 months and then €50 for 3 months? I know that's what you said. I just want to be clear I'm not misunderstanding. Wow - you did well.

I tried it yesterday could not get it...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Does seem a little remarkably good.
    Grateful if this could be clarified.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Leprechaun77

Does seem a little remarkably good.
    Grateful if this could be clarified.

Yes, this is correct...just checked again there online. I was on a twelve month deal for €25 for Broadband 120mb/anytime mobile/Digital Max Hd and this was due to increase to about €85/€90 on 1st July. (I mentioned on the cancellation email that cost was the factor, and the fact other competitors had deals at the moment)

They do tend to waffle on the phone about giving anytime mobile, or the upgrade to 240mb broadband. I just asked for the bottom line best offer for total cost per month. I confirmed the package several times on the phone, and the fact that the call was recorded. The mobile pack and increase in speed wasn't a deal clincher for me as I don't actually use the house phone for calls anyway as I have all inclusive minutes on my mobile phone.

Having spoken to them at about 6.50 (they called me), the new router was delivered at 6.45 a.m. the following morning by Nightline and all is working well (for the moment anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭RIALTO1

Rang yesterday, was on 120Mb BB, phone and Horizon+ for TV @ 73.50 a month.

After lots of passing around and trying to baffle with packages and numbers settled on 240Mb BB, phone and Horizon Max for tv. 44.25 for 9 months, and 88.50 for 3 months. Also agreed that if I activate it, will get Sky Sports free for 1st 2 months, and 20% off subsequent months, and Setanta 1/2 price for first 3 months.

Happy enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭billbond4

hmmm still not worth me ringing to change contract on 120MB BB + phone (that I dont use) for 35€ p/m.
    Its good that they are still doing deals in loyalty.

Yes, this is correct...just checked again there online. I was on a twelve month deal for €25 for Broadband 120mb/anytime mobile/Digital Max Hd and this was due to increase to about €85/€90 on 1st July. (I mentioned on the cancellation email that cost was the factor, and the fact other competitors had deals at the moment)

I am on same bundle currently... sent my cancellation email...lets see what happens...

offered 25 eur six months and 50 eur six months 1 yr contract with 240 mbps broadband and free landline calls...

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Abbeycraic

tharmor wrote: »
    offered 25 eur six months and 50 eur six months 1 yr contract with 240 mbps broadband and free landline calls...

Got the same offer....just sent in the cancellation e-mail and the loyalty department call back usually within 1-2 days. Was initially offered only 4 months half-price but stick to your guns and quote Sky offering 12 months @ €40 or Vodafone offer and they will check with their manager and come back with the 6 month offer without too much of a push.

Just a quick FYI you still need to give 30 days notice in writing regardless of if you're in/out of contract. So I would be ringing them near the start of the 12th month in a 12 month contract (i.e. 30 days before the contract is due to end). Otherwise it's 30 days from the date of the e-mail.

There shouldn't be any cancellation amount due as you will technically have fully paid up to the end of the contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 binukp

any chance to know the agent name

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,624 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Wouldn't be any point as there must be hundreds working in their sales/retain departments.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Highcontrast1

Hey all.
    Are these deals available to new customers? What's the best way to go about it? Chat via website or call them? If it's the former, what's the number to dial? Is there a specific router that I should ask for or are all the routers decent?
    Looking to get 240 bb and tv, how much would be reasonable(bargain alerts wise) to pay for this?
    Thanks in advance!

Hey all.
    Are these deals available to new customers? What's the best way to go about it? Chat via website or call them? If it's the former, what's the number to dial? Is there a specific router that I should ask for or are all the routers decent?
    Looking to get 240 bb and tv, how much would be reasonable(bargain alerts wise) to pay for this?
    Thanks in advance!

These are cancellation deals to try to keep customers who are about to leave at the end of contracts. No- these deals are not normally available to new customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Thomas

I'm on HD Max and 240 BB @ €85pm. Got 6 month 50% discount for a new 12 month contract. Initially offered 4 months but asked for 6 and got it after being on hold for another minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'm on 120, anytime world and horizon max, €85.
    Got offered 360mb and horizon max for 95 (wtf!) with 6 months half price, or basic horizon and 240mb for €80 with 4 months half price.

Thought I was a good negotiator but couldn't get anywhere with the girl in the Philippines,
    Banged in a cancellation email anyway, let's see what happens now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭CFC007

Got through to customer loyalty after 30 minutes of negotiation the best they could do was €30 off for 4 months. I was previously on 9 months half price. Sent through the cancellation email and they've contacted me to arrange collection of the box! Wasn't expecting that so now not sure what to do! Will they try to give me a counter offer or is that it now?

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Umpalumpa

Im looking to downgrade my package,want to cancel setanta and BT sports.
    Can this be done by sending an email or does it have to be a phone call

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

That's a phone call, or you can cancel it on myupc, or whatever it's called now. The online thing on the website.
    €10 downgrade fee, no new contract for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Thegalwayman

Remote control stopped working. They want 20 euro from me as the warranty on it is 90 days and I have it almost 5mths.
    Think I'll just pay the 200euro cancellation fee and go with a different supplier

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭PeterDuggan

CFC007 wrote: »
    Sent through the cancellation email and they've contacted me to arrange collection of the box! Wasn't expecting that so now not sure what to do! Will they try to give me a counter offer or is that it now?

First off they sometimes try to collect the box before the true contract end-date. That's just a subcontractor. Ignore them until the contract has actually run out.

Let the cancellation sit and call VM with a few days to go (if they don't call you first). Be prepared to say no thanks several times and even to call several times. Like any company VM want to charge as much as you're willing to pay but they're acutely sensitive to cancellations and will do (almost) anything to prevent them. Even a relatively small number of cancellations means a drop in subscriber numbers which can cause a fall in VM shares and so a cut in directors' bonuses.

You can accept an offer any time and the longer you wait the better the offer. Once you accept an offer they will never improve on it of course - and next year they'll probably try to charge you more. Your strongest card is to be prepared to walk away right to the very last minute. No company with any sense turns away regular paying customers.

Just think of it like haggling in a Turkish market. ...which is more or less what it is.

• Advertisement

Remote control stopped working. They want 20 euro from me as the warranty on it is 90 days and I have it almost 5mths.
    Think I'll just pay the 200euro cancellation fee and go with a different supplier

They'll waive the fee if you ring them- the amount of defective kit I've gotten off them just isn't funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Brenno

Keep persevering folks!

I had seen that one boardsie got half price for 9 months for 240mb & Anytime phone @ €25 pm then €50 for the remaining 3 months.
    So I cancelled my account via email 3 weeks ago and kept calling them until they gave me the same deal - just got it on my forth call over a 5 day period and they even volunteered a new router too!! -
    (if you need TV - the previous deal they offered me the 9mths/3mths deal on the TV/240mb/Phone for €42.50/€85 but we just didn't need the TV)

They'll waive the fee if you ring them- the amount of defective kit I've gotten off them just isn't funny.

Its just the straw that broke the camels back. If they'd waived the 20e via twitter DM exchange I'd have stayed with them but I would have to buy a powerplug (they offer at 88e) to extend the wifi downstairs in my small apartment and bill increasing to 85e a mth next mth. I've 20gb data on my phone as well and not using laptop as much. If only my property management company would reply on question of satellite system from Sky which they claim to have applied for at last AGM Aug 2015!

:mad:

If only my property management company would reply on question of satellite system from Sky which they claim to have applied for at last AGM Aug 2015!

:mad:

If your apartment was built since 1995 - its almost certain that one of the terms of the planning permission is no satellite dishes. There are a number of threads on it- including a discussion on communal dishes- and foreign dishes for non-nationals (as per the Commission ruling)- in the Accommodation and Property forum.

If your apartment was built since 1995 - its almost certain that one of the terms of the planning permission is no satellite dishes. There are a number of threads on it- including a discussion on communal dishes- and foreign dishes for non-nationals (as per the Commission ruling)- in the Accommodation and Property forum.

We're certainly not allowed individual dishes but communal dish is permitted but The Galway based property management company are very unresponsive and slow to deal with queries until they want to be paid. Deep clean of building occurs week before AGM without fail. ðŸ˜

We're certainly not allowed individual dishes but communal dish is permitted but The Galway based property management company are very unresponsive and slow to deal with queries until they want to be paid. Deep clean of building occurs week before AGM without fail. ðŸ˜

I suspect I know which company you're talking about- I've the misfortune to have to deal with them too.........

Easiest solution- volunteer to do the legwork at the AGM- get it voted on- and do it yourself......... Make it clear that lack of communication = acceptance (and have this cleared at the AGM- don't do a solo run).

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Charlie_C

Hi - looking for some advice from people who have sent an email to cancel their account. I gave my 30 days notice to cancel at the start of the month and I got a phone call from the "loyalty team" team today offering me a discount for 4 months. I declined their offer as most of their competitors are far cheaper at the moment.

Conversation was along the lines of - Offer of discount... (me) no thank you its still too expensive and they just said ok our agents will be in touch to collect the equipment.

Does anyone know if they will ring again or did I miss my chance to try secure a better deal??
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Charlie_C wrote: »
    Hi - looking for some advice from people who have sent an email to cancel their account. I gave my 30 days notice to cancel at the start of the month and I got a phone call from the "loyalty team" team today offering me a discount for 4 months. I declined their offer as most of their competitors are far cheaper at the moment.

Conversation was along the lines of - Offer of discount... (me) no thank you its still too expensive and they just said ok our agents will be in touch to collect the equipment.

Does anyone know if they will ring again or did I miss my chance to try secure a better deal??
    Thanks

They'll ring again.

I went down the route with SKY this year of ringing them closer to the end of the 30 days asking could they tell me the exact date the service would cease as I needed it for my new supplier to arrange hook up and didn't want overlap or worse no service. They were quick about giving me a decent deal then which I was happy with.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭r0chf0rt

I was on the same €25 12 month contract which was going to go up to €85. They initally offered me 4 months half price which I rejected. They then upped it to 6 months and I said I would think about it. I rang them back after a few days and asked for 9 months half price and after "talking to a supervisor" gave me 9 months for €42.50 and 3 months for €85. I think that was the best I was going to get out of them. They also increased the bb speed from 120mb to 240mb but I think that is standard with any new contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

r0chf0rt wrote: »
    I was on the same €25 12 month contract which was going to go up to €85. They initally offered me 4 months half price which I rejected. They then upped it to 6 months and I said I would think about it. I rang them back after a few days and asked for 9 months half price and after "talking to a supervisor" gave me 9 months for €42.50 and 3 months for €85. I think that was the best I was going to get out of them. They also increased the bb speed from 120mb to 240mb but I think that is standard with any new contract.

Sounds like you had a great deal. My 12 mth contract that was half price for 9 mths full price for 3 ends in 1 mth. Does anybody know how to get thru to Loyalty rather than talk to a regular service agent?

I've Horizon HD, 240Mb BB and phone.

The deal you got i.e. 9 mths at €42.50 and the following 3 at €85 sounds like the deal I had. I guess there is not much chance of getting it again.

Advertisement