Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Leslie91 wrote: »
    The deal you got i.e. 9 mths at €42.50 and the following 3 at €85 sounds like the deal I had. I guess there is not much chance of getting it again.

Sky are offering the equivalent at their stands in shopping centres (i.e. its not an official offer- but they're perfectly happy to offer it in person).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

r0chf0rt wrote: »
    I was on the same €25 12 month contract which was going to go up to €85. They initally offered me 4 months half price which I rejected. They then upped it to 6 months and I said I would think about it. I rang them back after a few days and asked for 9 months half price and after "talking to a supervisor" gave me 9 months for €42.50 and 3 months for €85. I think that was the best I was going to get out of them. They also increased the bb speed from 120mb to 240mb but I think that is standard with any new contract.

I called to cancel also, was offered various 15 euro here 5 euro there and downgrades, was told he would check with his manager about 6 months half price, i told him i would settle for 9 months or else cancel, he came back with 9 months half price, 42.50 - 3 full price and 12 month contract.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

brightkane wrote: »
    I called to cancel also, was offered various 15 euro here 5 euro there and downgrades, was told he would check with his manager about 6 months half price, i told him i would settle for 9 months or else cancel, he came back with 9 months half price, 42.50 - 3 full price and 12 month contract.

Did you get written confirmation of this?

dub45 wrote: »
    Did you get written confirmation of this?

Yeah. Got email within 5 mins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

not a bargain but the upc\virgin interface is so bad, i cant wait to get to get back to sky. The whole family hate it. In fact on the plus side, we are all watching a lot less tv since we got it! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭VeVeX

brightkane wrote: »
    Yeah. Got email within 5 mins

You'll probably find if you read the email it doesn't cover the exact deal you received. I know the last time I strong-armed them I got a generic email that said nothing about the deal I got.

VeVeX wrote: »
    You'll probably find if you read the email it doesn't cover the exact deal you received. I know the last time I strong-armed them I got a generic email that said nothing about the deal I got.

I am well used to bargaining with them yearly and getting it in writing. Clearly states 9 months half price 42.50.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

Just got off the phone. Was expecting bit of a nightmare going by other peoples experiences but got half price for 9 months on horizon max without much haggling.

Just waiting for confirmation e-mail to make sure (I hassled him about including price contract length etc in email).

Happy enough tbh.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Just got off the phone. Was expecting bit of a nightmare going by other peoples experiences but got half price for 9 months on horizon max without much haggling.

Just waiting for confirmation e-mail to make sure (I hassled him about including price contract length etc in email).

Happy enough tbh.

Just a reminder for anyone getting a deal which is effectively a new contract a company is legally obliged to give you a considerable amount of information in a "durable format" under what is known as the consumer directive - info here.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭gogreen81

I was also on 25 eur for 12 months package. Tried to get a good deal off them but nothing for TV.
    the only thing i got was 4 month half price 240mb . so i cancelled my tv and just continued with broadband which is 50eur pm now.

should i call them again and try and get tv deal?

the next box they sent ( white one) is a s**t, connection drops etc.

no option of going with sky broadband as they dont do in my area.
    only TV with sky, so not sure if i go with them.

appericiate any feedback and comments

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Has your upc tv switched off yet GoGreen?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭gogreen81

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Has your upc tv switched off yet GoGreen?

No yet some more days left
    Will they ask for horizon box back

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

not a bargain but the upc\virgin interface is so bad, i cant wait to get to get back to sky. The whole family hate it. In fact on the plus side, we are all watching a lot less tv since we got it! :)
    *Hugs* Ancient Foxsat HDR Freesat box.

It's slow and showing it's age, and there are a few niggles, but for the Free To Air UK channels you can watch , record and stream , save the recording to your tablet, use the web interface to set recordings, use your smartphone to change channels. For €0 per month. And you don't need a current sub to watch recordings.

You can even use it to watch and record programs on multiple satellites, having a sensitive tuner really helps, but you only get now/next ,and while it doesn't like the Tivusat CAM most of the time, it's happy with a Dragon CAM but that doesn't like the Tivusat card... Problems you will never have with SKY or Virgin. Sometimes setting up these things is more interesting than what's on :D

No, it doesn't do catch up TV, but only because BBC and ITV no longer support old boxes.

If there are subscription channels you are addicted to then you are stuck with SKY/Virgin/Other. (you may even get footie on foreign subscriptions for less)

Otherwise Freesat may be an option, even if only for the freedom to haggle, well that and all the red button channels on BBC now that the Olympics are coming up :)

/RANT about wonderful "new" features from SKY / Virgin that have been around for years on FTA boxes.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Just a reminder for anyone getting a deal which is effectively a new contract a company is legally obliged to give you a considerable amount of information in a "durable format" under what is known as the consumer directive - info here.
    But it's not a new company, it's just a rebrand. It's like Eircom to Eir.

Pretty much the only involvement Richard Branson has with that company is that it's using his brand and he's in the ads. Other than that he's just another minority shareholders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

Surprise Surprise, the confirmation e-mail was completely blank. No text at all!

Gonna have to ring these clowns again.

gogreen81 wrote: »
    No yet some more days left
    Will they ask for horizon box back
    Yeah they take it back if you cancel tv. You'll need a mode, if you don't have one already.
    While the tv is still active you still can bargain on a deal with all 3. Once it switches off they can't do you a deal with the tv.

I eventually got 9 months half price on mine. Was gonna go to Vodafone but this worked out better, shorter contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭BaronVon

I just rang up there, I ugraded to the 360mb package, told them I wanted 6 months half price, given straight away, no fuss. Little wait time, very happy with that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭flanzer

My 12 month €24.99 promotion (TV, BB & phone) was up last week. Just rang them to tell them I wanted to cancel the whole thing, then let on I may be interested in BB & Phone only. Got a deal of €40/month for 6 months, then €50/month thereafter for 6 months (240mb and anytime world(?)). New modem on the way

No quibbling. Happy enough with that. Still beats Eir and Vodafone for the year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭Dicksboro_man

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Yeah they take it back if you cancel tv. You'll need a mode, if you don't have one already.
    While the tv is still active you still can bargain on a deal with all 3. Once it switches off they can't do you a deal with the tv.

I eventually got 9 months half price on mine. Was gonna go to Vodafone but this worked out better, shorter contract.

What exactly was your 9 months deal bud? BB, phone & TV?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

GOT 6 MONTHS half rpice and upgraded modem...did not get 9 months...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭breeno

I was on yesterday and am going to cancel my TV as I'm going to go Saorview/FTA only. They offered me Internet and Phone for 25 a month for 6 months and full price 50 a month for the final 6 months. Has anybody managed to get 9 months half price for internet only?

If not I'll pull the trigger on the 6 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

breeno wrote: »
    I was on yesterday and am going to cancel my TV as I'm going to go Saorview/FTA only. They offered me Internet and Phone for 25 a month for 6 months and full price 50 a month for the final 6 months. Has anybody managed to get 9 months half price for internet only?

The internet only deals I was offered were €5 more expensive than with the phone, same with vodafone, eircom. They're all hoping to make extra money out of the phone.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

The internet only deals I was offered were €5 more expensive than with the phone, same with vodafone, eircom. They're all hoping to make extra money out of the phone.

No, OpenEir, the wholesale division of Eir increased the prices of the broadband only option significantly, thus the other companies were forced to pass the price increase.

OpenEir are now also looking to significantly increase the wholesale cost of the packages bundled with phone from September.

breeno wrote:

Very rare esp if you already were on a good deal...

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Pixie8

Called up yesterday, was on the 9 months half price (TV/Bb/phone) last year after ringing them so had hoped to get the same again. No such luck, the best they would offer was a 10 euro discount for 5 months!! They suggested I downgrade the TV package if I wanted to lower it any more. Told them I would be cancelling and have sent in the email. Disappointing!

The new modem is a beast...getting gr8 wifi and amazing speeds..

What exactly was your 9 months deal bud? BB, phone & TV?

Yeah, horizon max, 240mb and anytime world phone (which I don't use)
    Full price is €85

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Pixie8 wrote: »
    Called up yesterday, was on the 9 months half price (TV/Bb/phone) last year after ringing them so had hoped to get the same again. No such luck, the best they would offer was a 10 euro discount for 5 months!! They suggested I downgrade the TV package if I wanted to lower it any more. Told them I would be cancelling and have sent in the email. Disappointing!

They rang me too with a similar offer, i said I'd think about it and they then tried ringing back 10 times until I answered. I politely told them to shove it up their h0les as its cheaper for me to sit out the remaining 5 months and have my partner rejoin as a new customer and get an introductory offer for half nothing and probably another DID voucher.

I told the rep that their business model is crap, they spend so much money getting new customers and screwing existing customers to pay for the new customers than its inevitable that most leave when contract is up. Then repeat cycle. She couldn't give me an answer when I asked her why they can't charge everyone a reasonable and fair price especially the existing customers (say the average of the initial offer price and the later high price which would be €45 a month for me rather than 12 mths at €25 and 6 at €85), if this was the case I would probably stay, then they would save a fortune on all the staff ringing / management coming up with stupid introductory offers.

My tone was polite as I appreciate they are reading of a script, but asked them to pass my feedback on but I doubt it will be.

I'm surprised that they are continuing with the same business woeful business model considering what an astute businessman John Malone is.

Virgin have a superior and unique offering for most of their urban customers (good TV, no ugly dish, super fast broadband, phone), so I believe that most customers would not jump ship to their competitors if they had a reasonable pricing model

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭Solaris10

tharmor wrote: »
    The new modem is a beast...getting gr8 wifi and amazing speeds..

Have you got the Compal Modem?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Solaris10 wrote: »
    Have you got the Compal Modem?

Perhaps he is the random customer who actually got one thats working properly? I know mine was a piece of shít- its fine as a modem- in bridge mode- with a separate proper wifi router on it- the components in the Compal are cheap tat.

Advertisement