Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭duuuaaaane

I called up - did the spiel and they just said 'yeah cancel'.

Was hoping for a discount half price offer - any tips on what to call up and say?

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭odddavey

What's the cancellation email address? As I was cancelling my TV part and didn't get any response from cancelled@virginmedia.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭massy086

breeno wrote: »
    I was on yesterday and am going to cancel my TV as I'm going to go Saorview/FTA only. They offered me Internet and Phone for 25 a month for 6 months and full price 50 a month for the final 6 months. Has anybody managed to get 9 months half price for internet only?

If not I'll pull the trigger on the 6 months.
    yes I'm on a 9 month deal bb and phone keep pushing them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭breeno

odddavey wrote: »
    What's the cancellation email address? As I was cancelling my TV part and didn't get any response from cancelled@virginmedia.ie
    cancel@virginmedia.ie

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I told the rep that their business model is crap, they spend so much money getting new customers and screwing existing customers to pay for the new customers than its inevitable that most leave when contract is up.

The vast majority don't leave when their contract is up. Virgin Broadband has very low churn rates, the term used in the industry for the number of people who leave. The number is less then 2%.

The reality is that most people don't know their contract has even ended and simply continue to pay the full price every month. Few people know that you can call up, threaten to cancel and haggle a better deal.
    She couldn't give me an answer when I asked her why they can't charge everyone a reasonable and fair price especially the existing customers (say the average of the initial offer price and the later high price which would be €45 a month for me rather than 12 mths at €25 and 6 at €85), if this was the case I would probably stay, then they would save a fortune on all the staff ringing / management coming up with stupid introductory offers.

Again, as above, 98% of customers simply pay the full price every month, even if out of contract. So it is far cheaper for them to offer deals to the less then 5% who threaten to leave.

Yes, that sucks, but pretty much every single company does the same. Sky, Eir, Electricity and Gas, insurance, mobile phone contracts, etc. They all do exactly the same. That is why buyer beware very much applies. It absolutely pays to shop around for any product once your contract is up.
    Virgin have a superior and unique offering for most of their urban customers (good TV, no ugly dish, super fast broadband, phone), so I believe that most customers would not jump ship to their competitors if they had a reasonable pricing model

It is exactly the point that they have an attractive service that allows them to charge higher prices and people are less likely to leave despite them.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

Solaris10 wrote:
    Have you got the Compal Modem?

Yeah...happy so far...others having issues ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant

I just sent my cancellation email after months of frustration which started with me changing my plan and asking to be reverted under cooling off. I was on a legacy deal which they couldn't revert me to. Offer was half price 250mb for 4 months, then 50 euro per month for 8 months. Averaging 41.66 per month.

What options do I have now if they don't make me a better offer? What are the new customer deals with Virgin and others like? How long do I have to wait?

Account has been active over 20 years btw, but they just don't care. It's an affront to customers the way that they are being run over the last couple of years. Trying to milk the last bit of profit by degrading the customer service and increasing the fees. They are quickly becoming a turn of the century Eircom in those respects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭kooga

Rang up today on behalf of my in laws. They have digital value to and multroom and pay 41 a month.

Got offered upgrade to horizon tv 1/2 price for 6 months plus no installation fee.

Last year had 9 months 1/2 price. Going to shop around.

Sky original plus multiroom is €40 plus no install fee.

They have eir phone and broadband and can get evision 6 months at €15 and 6 months at €20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Would it not make more sense to do phone and broadband and push for 9 months half price on the whole lot? Eir would be 18 or possibly 24 month contract I'd say.
    I'd imagine they'd jump at the chance to make some sales as well as keeping them on tv as well.

In contract with eir till the end of the year plus they got the price increase letter. So easiest would be to ditch virgin and have the eir bundle.

Or just cancel eir and lump in with virgin. Have a few days to sort it out

• Advertisement

Price increase from eir or virgin?

I found Vodafones TV box better than the eir one, they have a good enough deal, but the virgin one worked out better for me as the contract is only a year, and knowing virgin/UPC there will probably be a price change just before my 9 months half price runs out. Hopefully.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Price increase from eir or virgin?
    Eir price increase

Oh yeah, the setanta thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Thegalwayman

Just got connected with Eir Broadband (only DSL in my area) Pleasantly surprised and an improvement on my virgin media 240MB (horizon box) service. I finally have wifi downstairs and its working w/o any lag for my IPTV. Have til 28th to decide between the 2

I got the virgin hub modem thing there last week when they upgraded me, wifi much better now but not as neat a setup as before when it was all in one. Are you using your horizon box for wifi?

Not getting anything near 240mb on wifi of course, that's a reflection on my aging equipment and the limitations of wifi I spose. Getting 120mb down and 24.5 up on iPhone though which isn't too shabby

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Not getting anything near 240mb on wifi of course, that's a reflection on my aging equipment and the limitations of wifi I spose. Getting 120mb down and 24.5 up on iPhone though which isn't too shabby

Swap out the cards in your laptops (if the BIOS of the laptop supports it)?
    Modern a/c cards can support 600Mbps on single links- and up to 1350Mbps on dual or melded links (subject to distance from router- which band you're using and a rake of other factors). I have no issue whatsoever maxing out a 360Mbps link (in practice perhaps 270-280Mbps) over wifi..........

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

Just got connected with Eir Broadband (only DSL in my area) Pleasantly surprised and an improvement on my virgin media 240MB (horizon box) service. I finally have wifi downstairs and its working w/o any lag for my IPTV. Have til 28th to decide between the 2

Tks, are you using the Eir TV service? I'd be interested in your feedback on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭Popple3

Sent off a cancellation email on Friday and got a call today. Only problem is the offer is completely irrelevant to my problem (new customer discount for BB + Horizon vs discount for adding Horizon). Was told to call sales about it, all they could offer me was the standard upgrade discount or the half price for 6 months broadband-only deal loyalty gave me.

Nobody was able to turn around and give me X months half price for a BB+Horizon bundle. The only suggestion they had was to get someone else in the household to sign up to a new account, which is just awkward and stupid...

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Pixie8

Has anyone actually cancelled and had someone else in the household sign up as a new customer to avail of an offer? I was told by VM that there's a 3 month waiting period of you want to do this....
    Popple3 wrote: »
    Sent off a cancellation email on Friday and got a call today. Only problem is the offer is completely irrelevant to my problem (new customer discount for BB + Horizon vs discount for adding Horizon). Was told to call sales about it, all they could offer me was the standard upgrade discount or the half price for 6 months broadband-only deal loyalty gave me.

Nobody was able to turn around and give me X months half price for a BB+Horizon bundle. The only suggestion they had was to get someone else in the household to sign up to a new account, which is just awkward and stupid...

Nah, it's nonsense, 3 months is only in your name.

Here's what you need to do.

Keep ringing cancellations, tell them that you were offered 6 months half price on all products just now and want to take them up on it. Say the girl the last time said you not even be able to get 9 months half price, she was checking with her manager then the call got cut off,
    "Can you see that up on your screen there?"

Worst that could happen would be 6 months half price on everything,

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Nah, it's nonsense, 3 months is only in your name.

Here's what you need to do.

Keep ringing cancellations, tell them that you were offered 6 months half price on all products just now and want to take them up on it. Say the girl the last time said you not even be able to get 9 months half price, she was checking with her manager then the call got cut off,
    "Can you see that up on your screen there?"

Worst that could happen would be 6 months half price on everything,

They do record all calls- and have been known to listen back to calls- to make sure staff aren't straying off the reservation. You're as likely to get someone fired, as you are to get a further discount- pulling this stunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭James Delaney

They do record all calls- and have been known to listen back to calls- to make sure staff aren't straying off the reservation. You're as likely to get someone fired, as you are to get a further discount- pulling this stunt.

I totally agree.
    No need for underhanded stunts & putting someone's job on the line.
    Disgusting 'tactic'.

oh gosh. you can see from this thread that they frequently give customers 9 months half price. it's just a game. you vs the agent in the philippines working off a script waiting for you to give them the ultimatum that will allow you to give you the offer so that they can meet their target.
    calls would be monitored but not to the extent that they woikdmgo back through calls to make sure you were being honest. your contract would be up the time they pulled the call and listened to it.
    the staff can't just give out all the best offers. theyre not allowed. you have to work their system. the offers are bein given out so nobody is at a loss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

They don't have to listen to the calls. They'll just deny any offer by default.

Because getting a copy of the recording to prove otherwise is so long winded (and theres a fee) most customers will give up.

beauf wrote: »
    They don't have to listen to the calls. They'll just deny any offer by default.

Because getting a copy of the recording to prove otherwise is so long winded (and theres a fee) most customers will give up.

Quite the reverse - If you put in a Data Protection request for access to your phone call recordings, they will call you back and see what they can do to avoid the need for the recordings, including offering you a good deal (from personal experience).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Quite the reverse - If you put in a Data Protection request for access to your phone call recordings, they will call you back and see what they can do to avoid the need for the recordings, including offering you a good deal (from personal experience).

I had the reverse experience. Put in the data request, paid fee, sent off form, they wanted more information, sent that in, rinse and repeat. This wasn't for a new deal, just to honor an existing deal. Had this many time now with different accounts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

beauf wrote: »
    I had the reverse experience. Put in the data request, paid fee, sent off form, they wanted more information, sent that in, rinse and repeat. This wasn't for a new deal, just to honor an existing deal. Had this many time now with different accounts.

If they start messing you around I am sure guys in the data protection place would be having a few words with Virgin.

They've really gone down hill at astronomical speeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭ted1

If the calls are being answered in the Philopines are they covered under a data protection request.

ted1 wrote: »
    If the calls are being answered in the Philopines are they covered under a data protection request.

Yes, you're dealing with the Irish company, so you're covered by Irish law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭ms vieria

Got the 12 months at 25 for tv phone and broadband over a year ago - just now into the six months at full price now. Is there any way to negotiate a new deal now? Can I cancel as I will no longer be able to get BT sport from them? Cheers in advance

Advertisement