Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If you're still in contract for 6 months they won't offer you a cancellation deal.

Usually with add ons they don't affect your main contract, but you can usually cancel the add on without penalty if the price goes up on it. (As in not pay the €10 to remove it)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Anyway of checking when your contract is up without having to call them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

Anyway of checking when your contract is up without having to call them?
    PM the reps on the talk to... forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Yes, you're dealing with the Irish company, so you're covered by Irish law.
    Are you sure that's how it works ?

Didn't the US government just lose a case against Microsoft when they were looking for information from them but the servers were held in Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭pj12332

Hi guys. I have 240mb broadband with virgin. Last year I got 9 months half price on it. Was paying 25 quid a month. Went through the 9 months and have paid 2 months full price at 49 odd euro so my contract is up in 30 days. I was told to call back up today to negotiate a deal. Best I got from 3 calls was 6 months half price. I was told that they do not do 9 months anymore. I have put in a cancellation email. Has anyone got 9 months half price with broadband only?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭kooga

pj12332 wrote: »
    Hi guys. I have 240mb broadband with virgin. Last year I got 9 months half price on it. Was paying 25 quid a month. Went through the 9 months and have paid 2 months full price at 49 odd euro so my contract is up in 30 days. I was told to call back up today to negotiate a deal. Best I got from 3 calls was 6 months half price. I was told that they do not do 9 months anymore. I have put in a cancellation email. Has anyone got 9 months half price with broadband only?

two years ago got 12 months 1/2 price
    last year 9 months 1/2 price
    this year the most was 6 months 1/2

I've emailed in my cancellation and lets see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭mwalsh7

I got 6 months half price. Started at four and would give free sky sports for two months as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Cavey

So can someone explain to me how this works? My 12 month contract is just finished and I had been getting half price for 6 months and been paying full 50euro price for past 6 months. I am broadband only connection.

Do I need to email in a cancellation or am I supposed to ring them and threaten to cancel?

thanks

Ring first, threaten to cancel, if you don't get what you want, send cancellation email, wait for call back on foot of email or call them again to see if they can improve last offer made.
    You really need to have a rival company offer to give yourself some leverage.
    Door to door salesman from Vodafone may have been giving you 9 months half price and a free pig for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

I'm on the Horizon Max 240Mb with TV/Phone, i've gone off the promo period about 6 months ago and I'm now paying €85+/month (lazy/crazy!).
    I personally find the TV service really low quality compared to Virgin in UK, Sky in UK/Ireland/Italy, in terms of number of HD channels, content selection, the amount and length of adverts.
    Anyway, I recently bought an Android TV box (zapping is not great but content good for the "price"), have Amazon Prime video and FINALLY decided to cut the cord (TV that is).

Question for you knowledgeable boarders is:
    can I simultaneously downgrade to a internet/phone package while also benefiting from the 6-month half price promo they offer for you not to cancel? Ho would you structure that conversation with them?

The number to call is still: 1890 940 070?

Thanks very much

• Advertisement

you're probably in contract for the tv so would have to pay €200 to cancel it. better to cancel everything and start again really if you're going down that road as new contract would apply either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I'm on 120MB broadband/tv/phone at €85 a month. Out of contract.

Is there any negative to going to the 240Mb Anytime World +, Horizon, Max TV? It seems more channels and double the speed for the same price plus maybe getting half price for 6 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

colm_mcm wrote: »
    you're probably in contract for the tv so would have to pay €200 to cancel it. better to cancel everything and start again really if you're going down that road as new contract would apply either way.

Sorry for the confusion but I'm out of contract, there would be no penalty for trading down or cancelling.
    Could I simultaneously spin down to only Broadband/Phone and get the 6-month half price discount?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

ted1 wrote: »
    Are you sure that's how it works ?

Didn't the US government just lose a case against Microsoft when they were looking for information from them but the servers were held in Europe

That's a different scenario. An Irish customer dealing with Virgin Media Ireland is entitled to a copy of any data held by Virgin Media. If they have the data, they have to give it to you.

They could possibly say 'we don't have the data, as that is held by our sub-contractor in the Philippines'. That is a more complicated situation, which I wouldn't claim to be expert in.

yoshimitsu wrote: »
    Sorry for the confusion but I'm out of contract, there would be no penalty for trading down or cancelling.
    Could I simultaneously spin down to only Broadband/Phone and get the 6-month half price discount?

I don't know the answer to that, but it would be worth trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Thegalwayman

Just off the phone to them was going to maybe go with 240MB broadband +unused phone if they'd do 6mths half price for 12 mth contract.Best they'd go for was 4mths. ALso offered dropping me from soon to be 85euro package to 65euro to avoid cancellation fee of 200euro.

Instead I'll pay 200 cancellation fee for cancelling the TV.

The price of being stubborn or perhaps stupid

have you calculated what each option will cost over the year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I sent an email and got one back confirming my cancellation is scheduled fore 30 days time. Should I expect a call back now? Or are they just not going to bother and let me cancel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭patch

I sent an email and got one back confirming my cancellation is scheduled fore 30 days time. Should I expect a call back now? Or are they just not going to bother and let me cancel?

I missed a call back in the first week and never got another. I returned that call a few days later but they didn't seem to care I was canceled.
    I then left it till the last week, called back and told them I hadn't recieved a call back as promised. A bit of chat saying Vodafone are 40 got me 40 for 6mths and 50 for final 6,Broadband and phome only.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

patch wrote: »
    I missed a call back in the first week and never got another. I returned that call a few days later but they didn't seem to care I was canceled.
    I then left it till the last week, called back and told them I hadn't recieved a call back as promised. A bit of chat saying Vodafone are 40 got me 40 for 6mths and 50 for final 6,Broadband and phome only.

Which speed/phone package?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Thegalwayman

They're a nightmare to deal with. Good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭patch

Which speed/phone package?
    Top speed broadband, afair x amount of international and national minutes.
    All I really care about is the broadband but you have to take the phone..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,050 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Wowzers I wasn't expecting them to be so rude. I called there because I wanted to drop multiroom and see if I could get a better deal - I'm paying €105 for 120mb BB/phone/TV. My dad's name is on the account but he called years ago to put me as the second contact when I took over paying the bill. I was never asked my name but told they could only speak to the account holder and she was quite rude about it and couldn't tell me why/when my name was taken off. TBH after that reception I AM actually thinking of cancelling completely now! Some way to treat a customer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

tk123 wrote:
    Wowzers I wasn't expecting them to be so rude. I called there because I wanted to drop multiroom and see if I could get a better deal - I'm paying €105 for 120mb BB/phone/TV. My dad's name is on the account but he called years ago to put me as the second contact when I took over paying the bill. I was never asked my name but told they could only speak to the account holder and she was quite rude about it and couldn't tell me why/when my name was taken off. TBH after that reception I AM actually thinking of cancelling completely now! Some way to treat a customer.

I would say try again...i had same issues first but they are the best in terms of services...could not find cheap deal anywhere else...

tharmor wrote: »
    I would say try again...i had same issues first but they are the best in terms of services...could not find cheap deal anywhere else...

They'd have my dad signed up for everything he's that clueless!! Or he'll call them guns blazing and have murder! :rolleyes: Posted on the reps page to see if that can help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant

tk123 wrote: »
    Had exact same experience. Maybe they don't want the custom anymore.

Had exact same experience. Maybe they don't want the custom anymore.

Reps are saying only the account holder can cancel.. but I just wanted to cancel multiroom because the 2nd box hasn't been turned on it about a year! Agent assumed I was cancelling and tbh she was that rude I got annoyed and said I'd call and get him to cancel then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant

tk123 wrote: »
    Reps are saying only the account holder can cancel.. but I just wanted to cancel multiroom because the 2nd box hasn't been turned on it about a year! Agent assumed I was cancelling and tbh she was that rude I got annoyed and said I'd call and get him to cancel then.
    I wasn't even trying to cancel, they had just lost my details off the account and wouldn't deal with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,308 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I'm going to cancel my TV with them but might stick with broadband if I can get a deal with them. Currently paying €40 a month for an old package as I didn't want to get into another contract

Anybody able to get a decent deal by removing one service but staying on with another?

(If that's confusing I currently have TV/Broadband and I'm looking for a deal on broadband only)

• Advertisement

Grrr we have to write to them now to get my name on the account! Because anyone could send an email - sure I could just write a letter now and sign it! PITA this is why I put off ringing them for MONTHS! I hope I don't get charged for changing the name?

Advertisement