Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Got the call back earlier. 12 month contract first 6 motnhs half price and upgraded to the current offer of 240mb, 100 channels and anytime calls.

Saving 250 over the year for twice the service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,050 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Well we had a much better experience this evening - spoke to a nice agent to get my name put on the account etc etc then I waited on hold for 15 min and loyalty told me I was allowed to discuss the bill now but guess what? I can't change the bundle... my dad was gone to the shop so have to call them back again on Tues and do it all over again. **SIGH**

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Dodge wrote: »
    I'm going to cancel my TV with them but might stick with broadband if I can get a deal with them. Currently paying €40 a month for an old package as I didn't want to get into another contract

Anybody able to get a decent deal by removing one service but staying on with another?

(If that's confusing I currently have TV/Broadband and I'm looking for a deal on broadband only)

Can you list what exact products you have, and the individual prices for them, as per your bill

Do I read this as you're paying €40 for broadband plus whatever the to costs?

Keep in mind there is a recurring charge for broadband only without tv. Think it's €8-9 per month. If you cancel tv and keep the broadband at the speed it is now, there's no contract. If you go for an upgraded speed, you need to add home phone. By upgrading you're starting a new contract.
    I would call them ref cancelling tv, and let them sell you phone, only on the basis of you getting an offer for 6 months like your friend got.

You may already have a phone line and not know. It would be listed on your bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭clancger

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Yeah they take it back if you cancel tv. You'll need a mode, if you don't have one already.
    While the tv is still active you still can bargain on a deal with all 3. Once it switches off they can't do you a deal with the tv.

I eventually got 9 months half price on mine. Was gonna go to Vodafone but this worked out better, shorter contract.

Hi Colm,
    I also had a 9mth half price deal that expires the end of Aug. Did you have to go all the way through to cancel in order to get the 9mth deal, or just find the right person? Also, you started this 9mths deal just recently, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,064 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Just coming off the back of 12mth continuous €43 for 240mb/Horizon MAX and the phone. Back to €89 now for 6mths. Oh the pain :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,050 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I can't face calling them after last week :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,006 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

So it turns out I'm not in contract anymore. Last time I spoke to them I wanted to drop TV but keep broadband and phone however the rep just wouldn't let that happen and I got the TV package so cheap I couldn't say no.

This time however I really do want to drop the TV package. I've never had Sky and they currently have a bundle with box sets, HD and a crappy free 32" TV for just €2.50 more than I'm currently paying with Virgin, so it's worth trying. I've never been a fan of the Horizon service anyway... more than once the box has wiped itself clean.

The bill is €89.99 for Limitless 240MB, Horizon Max and home phone. What do you reckon, time to give Sky TV a whirl?

So it turns out I'm not in contract anymore. Last time I spoke to them I wanted to drop TV but keep broadband and phone however the rep just wouldn't let that happen and I got the TV package so cheap I couldn't say no.

This time however I really do want to drop the TV package. I've never had Sky and they currently have a bundle with box sets, HD and a crappy free 32" TV for just €2.50 more than I'm currently paying with Virgin, so it's worth trying. I've never been a fan of the Horizon service anyway... more than once the box has wiped itself clean.

The bill is €89.99 for Limitless 240MB, Horizon Max and home phone. What do you reckon, time to give Sky TV a whirl?

The broadband is VMs krypton. Nothing else comes close. The horizon setup is sh1te though. Plenty of feedback given to them on fixed needed and tweaks to enhance user experience but feck all has been addressed. UI is just so slow it's a real pain. You've to hit multiple button sequences to carryout the simplest of tasks. Sky by comparison is a joy to use with zero lag. In an ideal world, I'd have the broadband from VM and the TV from sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

Has anybody had any luck switching to the €50 per month, 30 day rolling broadband contract as an existing customer?

Says it's only for new customers, but I'm currently on an old 120mb package paying €55pm. Don't fancy picking up a new contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,624 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

I'd have the broadband from VM and the TV from sky.

Not cheap doing that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,624 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Has anybody had any luck switching to the €50 per month, 30 day rolling broadband contract as an existing customer?

Says it's only for new customers, but I'm currently on an old 120mb package paying €55pm. Don't fancy picking up a new contract.

I'm sure if you threatened to cancel, they would let you change.

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Not cheap doing that.
    You left out "In an ideal world......"

That said, can't see why splitting the services (240mb BB & phone with VM and Sky variety for TV) between both would be much more than I'm currently paying.

Alter-Ego wrote: »

What about this ?

dodzy wrote: »
    You left out "In an ideal world......"

That said, can't see why splitting the services (240mb BB & phone with VM and Sky variety for TV) between both would be much more than I'm currently paying.

Well that's what I'm wondering. I'm currently paying €89.99 a month for 240MB broadband, phone and TV from Virgin. The TV package is around €35 per month whereas with Sky it'll be roughly €37.

Am I missing something? Why is it felt that to have BB from Virgin and TV from Sky would be expensive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

UPC TV used to be cheaper and Sky dearer if both have HD channels which used to be a lot more on SKY.

Not as much difference now.

Also VM should be able to replace boxes and remote s for free as you w own them they do. However in reality they'll charge you in other ways.

So again not a lot of difference.

Well that's what I'm wondering. I'm currently paying €89.99 a month for 240MB broadband, phone and TV from Virginia. The TV package is around €35 per month whereas with Sky it'll be roughly €37.

Am I missing something? Why is it felt that to have BB from Virgin and TV from Sky would be expensive?
    Nope, the only thing you are missing is the discounts that you get once out of contract with VM. If you (as is the case with me) are on the 90€ pack, you will get 50% off for 6mths once your contract expires to draw you into another 12mths contract. With me I opted to leave the discount call until the last 6 mths of my 2015 contract and then called and got the same again for the first 6mths of my current contract, so in effect, Ive been paying 43€ for the last 12 consecutive months, which I'm sure you''ll agree is a pretty good deal. I'm tied till Jan and then I will make the call. But honestly, if the response of the VM horizon boxes and general user experience has not improved by then, i'll think strongly about waiving the discount in favour of splitting the services.

Well interesting stuff. Rang up the loyalty department, told them I wanted to keep broadband and phone but drop the TV. Was asked why, said I'd never tried Sky and wanted to as I was out of contract. OK then they said. No attempt to keep me onboard which I found interesting.

Sky it is so.

Well interesting stuff. Rang up the loyalty department, told them I wanted to keep broadband and phone but drop the TV. Was asked why, said I'd never tried Sky and wanted to as I was out of contract. OK then they said. No attempt to keep me onboard which I found interesting.

Sky it is so.

Nice one. You will not regret it. Worlds apart. And my guess is you won't be going back. Let us know what kind of deal you get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

I'm still clinging to my 34.99 euro Fibre 120mb chat. Although I'm not in contract it's been creeping up in price slowly over the years. I was paying at one point 25 euro per month.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_AIdNq8kgjVYVF0YkJ4czJueFE/view?usp=sharing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

cookie1977 wrote:
    I'm still clinging to my 34.99 euro Fibre 120mb chat. Although I'm not in contract it's been creeping up in price slowly over the years. I was paying at one point 25 euro per month.

Total cost for year 420 eur....

Call them get half price --- cost 120+240 = 360

• Advertisement

See I would but I get analogue TV too whereas a full upgrade I might lose that depending on the modem they send out?? I may call them.

Analogue isn't dependant on you having a certain modem. It either comes in on the cable or it doesn't.
    I think you'd be mad to change from €35 as you have no commitment beyond the next 30 days. That's the cheapest non promo price (unlimited fixed line) broadband pack out there

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

They're slowly turning off analogue anyway- its only a matter of time.

Analogue isn't dependant on you having a certain modem. It either comes in on the cable or it doesn't.
    I think you'd be mad to change from 35 as you have no commitment beyond the next 30 days. That's the cheapest non promo price (unlimited fixed line) broadband pack out there
    That's my feeling alright. And the 120mb is more than enough for me at present. When vodafone ring (or even virgin trying to recontract me for that matter) trying to offer me a deal they cannot get over the 35 euro for broadband, analogue tv and phone.
    8 years and counting...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭shnaek

cookie1977 wrote: »
    That's my feeling alright. And the 120mb is more than enough for me at present. When vodafone ring (or even virgin trying to recontract me for that matter) trying to offer me a deal they cannot get over the 35 euro for broadband, analogue tv and phone.

8 years and counting...

We had that deal too, but one day they just started billing us €90, totally out of the blue. They said we'd been on a promotion and the promotion was over. I argued with them saying that much of a price increase was crazy. But they wouldn't relent. So I cancelled. Presume they were trying to get rid of us because we were paying so little.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

cookie1977 wrote: »
    8 years and counting...

Well they already turned it off in Cork and a few other Southern areas a few years ago (Cork use to use "scrambled" analouge which why it was so easy for them to turn it off).

Liberty Global, the parent company of Virgin Media has switched off anaolgue service in most of their other European markets (Germany, etc.) over the past 3 years.

It is now only a matter of time before they do it here too. Analogue TV service is super wasteful use of space, space that they will likely need to offer more broadband and HD channels in future.

shnaek wrote: »
    We had that deal too, but one day they just started billing us €90, totally out of the blue. They said we'd been on a promotion and the promotion was over. I argued with them saying that much of a price increase was crazy. But they wouldn't relent. So I cancelled. Presume they were trying to get rid of us because we were paying so little.

different deal. what you had was a promotional price for 6/9/12 months on an 18 month contract but what the other poster has is a very rare package that was only sold for a week or so back in 2013 where it was €27 a month for unlimited. no tv. not for a few months, thats just hiw much it was. no idea why they did that but they pulled it almost instantly.
    the price crept up over the years with the annual price increases but it's still quite cheap at €35

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

Are they informing customers or doing this in a planned way? The analogue service to the rest of the house is the main reason I haven't switched and put in a Freesat box or similar. Can I expect advance notice if they take it away?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Are they informing customers or doing this in a planned way? The analogue service to the rest of the house is the main reason I haven't switched and put in a Freesat box or similar. Can I expect advance notice if they take it away?

There has been no news or rumours on this yet and it may well be years before they decide to do it. It all depends on how badly they need extra space for Digital TV and Broadband.

Going by what happened in other Liberty Global markets, there would likely inform customers at least a year in advance and would likely have an alternative service for customers like yourself.

For instance in the other LGI markets, they left decrypted the top 50 or so digital TV channels, so you could tune them in on multiroom TV's either with the TV's built in DVB-C tuner (more common in Europe then Ireland) or a separate set top box that you bought yourself, all for free (for existing customers).

So the switch over ended up being great news for most people, they ended up going from 20 or so "free" analogue channels, to 50 or so "free" digital channels with superior picture quality.

Not saying that will happen in Ireland, we just don't know, but I suspect they might do something similiar given the direction that the market is going.

• Advertisement

shnaek wrote: »
    We had that deal too, but one day they just started billing us 90, totally out of the blue. They said we'd been on a promotion and the promotion was over. I argued with them saying that much of a price increase was crazy. But they wouldn't relent. So I cancelled. Presume they were trying to get rid of us because we were paying so little.

different deal. what you had was a promotional price for 6/9/12 months on an 18 month contract but what the other poster has is a very rare package that was only sold for a week or so back in 2013 where it was 27 a month for unlimited. no tv. not for a few months, thats just hiw much it was. no idea why they did that but they pulled it almost instantly.
    the price crept up over the years with the annual price increases but it's still quite cheap at 35
    This is correct. I had threatened to leave back then and i was put through to a girl in retentions. She offered me a deal for 25 euro on a one year contract and stated the discount was permanent and not linked to the contract. Once the contract finished we stayed on the 25 euro plan but through the standard increases it has crept up from 25 to 27.99 then to 29.99 and now earlier this year to 34.99. I kept a recording of the call just in case.

Advertisement