Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭coillcam

I just renewed this week, 9 months at half price, the remaining 3 months at full price with an upgrade from 120mb to 240mb. Also includes a separate modem for broadband as I've had issues on the horizon boxes. I refused the first offer a couple of months back and never responded to the second offer a few weeks ago. Called this week to cancel and got the better offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 189 ✭✭brimur69

As someone with only broadband I would prefer a speed bump for the same price rather than 9 months half price.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

Obviously some of them are reading this thread.
    If you're serious about bargaining with them- do your research and do it properly.
    E.g. I have a written offer from Sky and Eir which offer 100Mb/20Mb fibre for 22 Euro (Sky) and 25 Euro (EIR) for 6 months. In both cases the offer is unlimited.

You don't get these offers on their websites- they have stands in shopping centres who are authorised to offer these type discounts valid for 14 days.

If you don't need 240/360Mb connections (come-on- who among us actually needs this amount- and is happy to pay for it- versus a 100Mb connection)- then perhaps the Sky or Eir offers may actually be vastly superior (I'd suggest keeping away from EIR- but the Sky offer seems quite reasonable).

Re: Contention and none on UPC/Virgin- it may technically not be contention- however, run speedtest.net at various times during the day- and tell me its not contended- the engineer I was talking to said 'its not contended- its more congestion'. I have one word to say to that- bollocks.

Shop around- there are deals to be gotten- Eir aren't as competitive as they have been in attracting new customers- but Sky certainly are.

True, all good points, I didn't know about the better offers in malls etc as I had talked with Sky and was totally unimpressed with their offer of a free 32" TV, which was all they offered me.
    I was thinking actually, that they probably monitor these threads and that the bizarre offer made to me of 4 months at half price and 2 months with €5 discount were an attempt to see identify me!!

Still, in truth, there was very little chance that I was going to move, so, any saving's a saving!

Although, I did test my speed yesterday several times after taking delivery of the new modem and shockingly, download speed was pretty much unchanged (upload was a fair bit higher, but that's of little interest to me).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Moved from the main forum to Living Frugally

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

brimur69 wrote: »
    As someone with only broadband I would prefer a speed bump for the same price rather than 9 months half price.:rolleyes:

Its all relative. Just what are you going to do that will actually max out a 120 or 240Mb connection- versus a far cheaper 100Mb connection from a competitor. Its a bit like having a pissing contest against a wall- just because its faster doesn't really mean anything at all- unless you have a use for it..........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,050 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Finally got everything sorted! Maxed the package out for €10 less than what I'm paying now and half price for 6 months. They offered me €15 off for 6 months initially - told him I was aware people were getting half price and he gave that instead.

Will I get notification of when the stuff is being collected/delivered?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭leakyboots

So my 9-month discount expires this month, it was my first time doing that - I presume I just suck up the increase for the next 3 months and ring them up again threatening to cancel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭WayneEnterprise

leakyboots wrote: »
    So my 9-month discount expires this month, it was my first time doing that - I presume I just suck up the increase for the next 3 months and ring them up again threatening to cancel?

My last 9 month deal finished in May, so was due to pay June, July and August at full price.

I paid June/July at full price then rang them and got a new deal effective from this month, so never had to pay the third full price month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭delta214

So they managed to cut another bit off the price. I was asking for a price for just broadband and he offered to cut the tv package to 50 channels for the price of 9months €45, 3months €70. Saved just over €400 total from just a few of calls :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭vandriver

Has anyone negotiated in the last week or two?
    I was told that 4 months is all they are doing at half price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭pj12332

vandriver wrote: »
    Has anyone negotiated in the last week or two?
    I was told that 4 months is all they are doing at half price.

I got half price for 6 months about 4 weeks ago. Can always get that. Call back and talk to someone else. You'll get it eventually. The minute you get through say you want 6 months half price or its being cut off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭SarahS2013

Called yesterday.
    Was offered 4 months half price - said it wasn't good enough - Sky €55 deal was better
    Was then offered 6 months half price - told them the Sky deal was still better over 12 months
    They then offered me a final offer of 9 months and said that was the max they could offer.
    Took it and ran! Bill reduced from €85 per month to €42 per month!

(BTW - I wasn't even out of contract!)

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

Thanks!
    Got 9 months half price on 360 meg broadband
    rang and selected option about email
    said i wanted to cancel
    was offered 4 months declined
    said sky deal of 55 was better
    offered 6 months declined
    Then offered 9 months half price! WoooHoooo!

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

Just reading online- Virgin Media fined 255k today by COMREG for neglecting to give customers clear written contracts. At least 32,000 customers affected. Virgin to write to all of them (including most of us here, no doubt) offering us the opportunity to cancel our current contracts forthwith without penalty........

Sounds like an excellent opportunity to take up Sky's latest offer!

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Umpalumpa

Just reading online- Virgin Media fined 255k today by COMREG for neglecting to give customers clear written contracts. At least 32,000 customers affected. Virgin to write to all of them (including most of us here, no doubt) offering us the opportunity to cancel our current contracts forthwith without penalty........

Sounds like an excellent opportunity to take up Sky's latest offer!

I just got the email now
    Had a quick glance but couldnt see anything about the right to cancel the contract

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Umpalumpa wrote: »
    I just got the email now
    Had a quick glance but couldnt see anything about the right to cancel the contract

i just rang, yes you can and i have

Umpalumpa wrote: »
    I just got the email now

No e-mail here (yet anyway).
    I've never gotten any contract from them (despite asking for it several times)- so I imagine the e-mail will materialise in due course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭droidman123

I got that email a few hours ago as well,i don't want to cancel,but I am paying €4 a month,and €11 a month for an analogue point and multi room which I no longer want or use,how can I cancel just this part? Is there a particular number I can ring?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You wouldn't be contracted on a multiroom point or analogue point either way

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

I had a call from a very persuasive gent this morning about their mobile offer of €10 per month for 6 months sim-only, €25 after that, all-you-can-eat calls and data on 4g with no contract - all sounded great, but I had to cut him off the call so I could go do some research - only to find that I'd have to sign up for a fresh 12 month bundle contract to avail of this.

Has anyone gone with their mobile offering?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,239 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Rang today to ask about a new contract and what was their best offer, ive Digi Max and 120mb broadband, paying €75 a month. They came up with less channels and increased BB for 10 or 15 less for 4 months. Or the same channels and increased BB for 5 less for 6 months. Said no thanks as Sky are offering 55 a month bb and tv. He said that was best offer, i asked about their website offer for new customers for €30, he said adding a phone for current customers isnt allowed and tried to tell me about poor Sky was etc etc. I asked for the address for cancellation at that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭sparkthatbled

SarahS2013 wrote: »
    Called yesterday.
    Was offered 4 months half price - said it wasn't good enough - Sky €55 deal was better
    Was then offered 6 months half price - told them the Sky deal was still better over 12 months
    They then offered me a final offer of 9 months and said that was the max they could offer.
    Took it and ran! Bill reduced from €85 per month to €42 per month!

(BTW - I wasn't even out of contract!)

I'm in a similar situation, still under contract but want a better deal. How did you talk them round, if you don't mind my asking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭SarahS2013

I'm in a similar situation, still under contract but want a better deal. How did you talk them round, if you don't mind my asking?

I just called them up and told them the Sky deal was going to work out better value for me in the long run and what could they do for me? Tell then you want to speak to their loyalty/retention department and go from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

As previously mentioned by someone on here, if you ask for the latest hub on chat they'll send one out to you fairly sharpish if you've just signed on for another 12 months. Seems faster than the last one so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭massy086

pm1977x wrote: »
    As previously mentioned by someone on here, if you ask for the latest hub on chat they'll send one out to you fairly sharpish if you've just signed on for another 12 months. Seems faster than the last one so far.
    Did they bring out a new hub I have the 360 one but if there,s a faster one I'll have that free please lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

massy086 wrote: »
    Did they bring out a new hub I have the 360 one but if there,s a faster one I'll have that free please lol

It's Hub 3.0 I think, been out a while but new for me! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I'm paying €49 per month for 240mb broadband and some phone service I've never used, I'm also out of contract with Virgin.

Sky are offering me broadband for €15 extra p/m on my TV bill (€27 p/m) as I am out of contract with Sky.

I'd prefer to stay with Virgin if the price was right but things are tight at the mo.

I dont have a hub, is that only for TV? The router we have is about 4 yrs old, could do with a new one. WE are usually 40mb wireless and 60 mb connected.

I called to ask what their best deal was but they just said I had it, so I asked to be transferred to cancellations, I was cut off after a few mins so, I'll call again tomorrow.

Did anyone get less than €35 p/m ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

pm1977x wrote: »
    It's Hub 3.0 I think, been out a while but new for me! :pac:

Got one. They are brilliant. THere best router yet. Easy enough to use. You can have a guest wifi with set times plus mac filtering with set times.

Finally Ac and dual band. I have trippled my wifi speed on my iphone.

Always was a bug of mine. Them selling 240Mb with a crappy N router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭ahbell

Called to cancel my broadband yesterday best offer he would give me was half price for 4 months (€25 p/m). Very disappointing there were no longer offers so gave my 30 days notice.

• Advertisement

ahbell wrote: »
    Called to cancel my broadband yesterday best offer he would give me was half price for 4 months (€25 p/m). Very disappointing there were no longer offers so gave my 30 days notice.

Thats the risk you take- you have to be willing to cancel your subscription- just make sure you have a few days overlap between Virgin and your new supplier- to ensure you don't go dark.......

Advertisement