Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Breener122

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Virgin operate an analogue tv signal in conjunction with their digital service. A set top box is required to access the digital service but the analogue signal is available to most if not all customers by simply using a coaxial cable and connecting it to the virgin terminal and your tv. You will receive approximately 20 channels via this method

I've always wondered why the analogue still works? Been doing it over a year its mad handy but how do Virgin benefit from giving away 17 free channels?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,827 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Breener122 wrote:
    I've always wondered why the analogue still works? Been doing it over a year its mad handy but how do Virgin benefit from giving away 17 free channels?

Baffled by this myself, when digital was introduced I thought that's the end of analogue but here we are. Maybe another user can explain it to both of us?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

ROY RACE wrote: »
    Offer you any discount?

Half price for 4 months they wouldn't budge on anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭StiffOldMan

I got through and just said I'm not happy with increase of price (I have 120mbps broadband only) and what can you do for me... Got an upgrade to 240mbps and new router, €30 for 4 months, €50 for 8.

400 international minutes with the myvirgin app too.

Total €520 for 12 months. Thats my third or forth time ringing to do this and have to say its getting harder to get the great deals!

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭knipper

Baffled by this myself, when digital was introduced I thought that's the end of analogue but here we are. Maybe another user can explain it to both of us?

When I plug my TV into the coaxial I can't get any analogue channels. Is the signal only going to some areas I'm in cork city.

• Advertisement

knipper wrote: »
    When I plug my TV into the coaxial I can't get any analogue channels. Is the signal only going to some areas I'm in cork city.

i assume you ve done a full scan on all bands for channels? apologies but i haven't used the analogue service in years and im also not from cork, but maybe virgin have pulled the analogue services in some areas. as far as im aware, its still running in my area. maybe another user can confirm this for the cork city area?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭jay0109

So an extra €4 from Jan for those with bb and TV, announced yesterday. 2nd increase in 9 months.
    Does this mean new contracts for all again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭billbond4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

My (pretty basic) grasp of it is that the BB signal goes through the old coax cable on the Virgin Network. It uses up some, but not all, of the bandwith that was used by the TV channels. So by default when you plug into the coax you get the old analogue channels alongside. Split the signal, run a cable into a TV and hey presto...

Picture quality is poor when compared to todays HD standards, but grand for occasional use on a small screen.

My last price hike was in January so I guess I will get hit with the 2.50€ increase then.
    If they bump the speed up the 240MB I wouldnt mind too much

• Advertisement

My last price hike was in January so I guess I will get hit with the 2.50€ increase then.
    If they bump the speed up the 240MB I wouldnt mind too much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭.G.

The other providers need to get the finger out and provide proper competition to Virgin. Nobody else can deliver their speeds consistently cos they don't have the network infrastructure. I'm on phone and BB only and even with the price going up I can't move cos they alternative's are rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

About a year ago, there was a massive thread here about ringing up, giving out and getting half price for 9 months. I have just got a letter saying that 9 months is over and I am back up to 85 euro.
    Gotta start looking at the options here. Anyone else in this situation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

About a year ago, there was a massive thread here about ringing up, giving out and getting half price for 9 months. I have just got a letter saying that 9 months is over and I am back up to 85 euro.
    Gotta start looking at the options here. Anyone else in this situation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

jay0109 wrote: »
    So an extra €4 from Jan for those with bb and TV, announced yesterday. 2nd increase in 9 months.
    Does this mean new contracts for all again?

For those affected by the price increase you will have the right to cancel your contract or negotiate another one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭ahbell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,812 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Cancelled the tv

Only signed up with the tv 2 months ago. They were charging me more than they should as well. So next month is the last month I'll have Virgin media tv.

Getting my money back that they owe me and someone is collecting the horizon box next month.

Back to the 50quid a month for internet. Will attempt to get the box standard channels through the coax cable

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Breener122

superg wrote: »
    The other providers need to get the finger out and provide proper competition to Virgin. Nobody else can deliver their speeds consistently cos they don't have the network infrastructure. I'm on phone and BB only and even with the price going up I can't move cos they alternative's are rubbish.

Im with Vodafone and the highest speed offered in my area is 24MB.. When i do a speed test im lucky to get 14MB download and barely 1MB upload.. Its a joke really.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Had anyone really thought through virgins motives. Based on past experiences I'm finding it hard to trust them.

Has anything changed other than a €4 price increase? Any sneaky t&c changes?

I just find the thought of them increasing by only €4 and lashing out 1/2price contracts strange. Their email clearly states give us a call and we'll do something for you, once you ring them they are throwing in upgraded modems, higher speed and price reductions without the customer even having to ask and their contract length is only 12mths. seems too good to be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,874 ✭✭✭DopeTech

If I ring up and cancel, how long would I have to change my mind?(wait for a winback offer) I I call up and cancel do they cut me off immediately? I just wouldn't like to risk losing my home phone number.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,225 ✭✭✭digiman

FrostyJim wrote: »
    If I ring up and cancel, how long would I have to change my mind?(wait for a winback offer) I I call up and cancel do they cut me off immediately? I just wouldn't like to risk losing my home phone number.

I rang up this morning after having previously having been on 9 months half price broadband and 360Mb. I want to cancel my tv and they are saying that I must enter a new 12 month contract as I will be changing product as a result and every product change is a new 12 month contract.

Best offer they would give me is 12 months half price for 4 months on the 240mb package. So 25 for 4 months and 50 for 8 months.

Going to get an Eir line in and see what it's like for 2 weeks and cancel it if speeds are rubbish. Then decide what to do about VM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭ROY RACE

is it a months notice you give?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭alexonhisown

Havnt received an email about price hikes yet, got a customer satisfaction email this morning, so hopefully will hear about price hike soon.
    I love nothing more than ringing those guys to thrash out a new deal (said no one ever)

Havnt received an email about price hikes yet, got a customer satisfaction email this morning, so hopefully will hear about price hike soon.
    I love nothing more than ringing those guys to thrash out a new deal (said no one ever)

feel sorry for those folks in the call centres, they have a lot of s*it to put up with

ROY RACE wrote: »
    is it a months notice you give?

Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Guys I have the horizon box which is a pile of crap. What's this new modem you are talking about?

Guys I have the horizon box which is a pile of crap. What's this new modem you are talking about?

The hub 3.0 on their website

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Nalz wrote: »
    The hub 3.0 on their website

Any idea if it's better than the horizon box? We'be had some unreliability with wifi with horizon

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

I just installed the new router that VM are sending out.

On the old Thompson router the absolute maximum download speed I could achieve was 50mbps

On this new router I am getting 120mbps

My wifi is lighting fast now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭.G.

I bought my own router during the year, i use their one as a bridge. I don't want the new one. Another reason i don't think i'll bother looking for a deal off them.

Advertisement