Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭kenkin

Superg: what do you mean by "i use it as a bridge"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

cancelled myself.

Will eventually order in BB only off them to go with the hub. The horizon box is complete rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭robertowjr

kenkin wrote: »
    Superg: what do you mean by "i use it as a bridge"

He means that he is using the modem/router that VM provided as a modem only, it bridges the link to a router that he purchased to do all the fancy stuff, and the Compal 3.0, SmartHub or whatever VM calls it is being solely used as a modem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Make sure you dont get the hub that doesnt support wireless printing. If you care about that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭.G.

robertowjr wrote:
    He means that he is using the modem/router that VM provided as a modem only, it bridges the link to a router that he purchased to do all the fancy stuff, and the Compal 3.0, SmartHub or whatever VM calls it is being solely used as a modem.

Correct but I don't have their hub and I don't want it. I have an old Thompson router I got when I first signed up to 120mb many moons ago.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Just got my email today. €4 increase from January.
    I'm already in a 9 month half price loyalty offer after their latest price increase so that goes to show how often they are increasing their prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭d-don

Jesus what trauma I just had.

Called 40 mins ago to cancel the tv and get just the broadband package and got the spiel about breaking contract and it is a €200 fee to lose the tv package ! so I reminded him of the contract change and he was like ~( oh yea that's right) So anyways was offered 4 months half price at €25 and after 4 months €50 on the 240 mb package. Could not decide to stick with that or go for the faster broadband package so I said I will call back.

Called back 30 mins ago ( holding for 15 mins) I get I think was a Romanian guy on the phone who kept putting me on hold to check things. He then said he recommends I keep the package till January when my contract is due for renewal and If I don't there is a cancellation fee and all this crap , So I said well the contract change in Virgin has changed so I am entitled to without penalty his words ( oh yea okay That is correct) but he still would not do me the new offer so I told him to go speak to his Team Leader or put them on the phone . I got no joy and he said the Team Leader will call me within 24-48 hours~! I said not a chance I want a call within 24 hours as this is a joke.

Shame on Virgin for using their morning team meetings to show the reps and how to counter question the customer and play dumb about the change of contract by threatening large cancellation fees. Now I am not letting it go. I made sure both reps logged the details on my file.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭mckildare

Had anyone really thought through virgins motives. Based on past experiences I'm finding it hard to trust them.

Has anything changed other than a €4 price increase? Any sneaky t&c changes?

I just find the thought of them increasing by only €4 and lashing out 1/2price contracts strange. Their email clearly states give us a call and we'll do something for you, once you ring them they are throwing in upgraded modems, higher speed and price reductions without the customer even having to ask and their contract length is only 12mths. seems too good to be true

My thinking is they are just increasing their baseline. I checked our bills for the last year to this month and on average we've paid just under 30 euro a month for BB only (with phone yeah but don't even have that plugged in). But our actual subscription has gone from 40 to 45 to 50 now. So the underlying full charge has increased 10 euro/month in less than a year and all they've had to do is claim an increase twice. Each time there's been a "half price for 6 months" offer without a problem. But for them they have a guaranteed contract in place providing security of income which gets extended each time (alternatively a large fine for the customer to break the contract so that balances it out at least I'm guessing). This makes their books look great, maybe allowing them to get more loans or investments or whatever.

In return, from our point of view we've doubled our BB speed from 120 to 240 and got the Hub 3.0 but for watching Netflix I haven't noticed any change whatsoever. Sounds great because of the half price but at some point it will go back to full price and then it's either take the hit and go to contract end or start the loop again hoping for another half price (of a larger contract) deal. They have us by the balls with BB because they know competition isn't there, all they are doing is squeezing gently every so often to get more out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭mckildare

I forgot to add, of course I will be ringing at the beginning of December and looking for a new half price deal :) Maybe Eir or Vodafone/ESB can offer something decent in the future but for the moment VM control the market

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭StiffOldMan

Installed the new hub last night, hmm not really impressed. Its WAY bigger and more awkward then the old Cisco router. I had the Cisco hidden away and nailed to the back of the TV unit, happy as anything, all worked. This WHITE IN YOUR FACE FANCY DESIGN hub wants to be on display and to be honest I haven't noticed any difference in download speeds. Upload speeds have increased, but meh... not worth it. First world problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Installed the new hub last night, hmm not really impressed. Its WAY bigger and more awkward then the old Cisco router. I had the Cisco hidden away and nailed to the back of the TV unit, happy as anything, all worked. This WHITE IN YOUR FACE FANCY DESIGN hub wants to be on display and to be honest I haven't noticed any difference in download speeds. Upload speeds have increased, but meh... not worth it. First world problem

Same here. I have the full 240mbs if I connect by wire.

New router is 40mbs at best . No matter where i place the computer..

I know its plenty, but why is it not giving me the full monty??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,874 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Same here. I have the full 240mbs if I connect by wire.

New router is 40mbs at best . No matter where i place the computer..

I know its plenty, but why is it not giving me the full monty??

Is your PC capable of those speeds?

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 836 ✭✭✭- bo -

I called there. I never received an email but they told me it's going up by 2.50pm and I only have 9 days to cancel. Only for I saw this thread, I'd never have known. I like the service, but they are a shambles of a company. They wrongly pestered my mother with debt collection letters this year too.

It's not the 2.50 that bothers me, it's the frequency of the rising costs. It's twice a year at this stage.

I don't even know if there's anywhere to change to. I'm getting 240mb with a landline I never use for 50pm. Eir, who I have my phone with, are more expensive, first 3 months aside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Make sure you dont get the hub that doesnt support wireless printing. If you care about that...

I am all ways printing from mine from my mac to a 5 year old hp printer?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 264 ✭✭pauleoin

Just off the phone to Derek in VM, quickest (9:36)and easiest call ever to them, I have 360 Broadband and Mobile World @ €60.50 pm (3 months left in contract), agreed 6 months @ €31.50 and 6 months @ €62.50, new 12 month contract from next bill.

He also made a point of saying that they were changing their approach to contract negotiations to be more proactive and open, asked for permission to send me offers and deals by email.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

FrostyJim wrote: »
    Is your PC capable of those speeds?

Never thought of that.. I assumed it is, as it get full wack via LAN.
    http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5800382335

Edit yep.

Kids Ipad get over 100meg

Im getting 45.

Wireless adapter is a bit obsolete I think..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭alexonhisown

- bo - wrote: »
    I called there. I never received an email but they told me it's going up by 2.50pm and I only have 9 days to cancel. Only for I saw this thread, I'd never have known. I like the service, but they are a shambles of a company. They wrongly pestered my mother with debt collection letters this year too.

It's not the 2.50 that bothers me, it's the frequency of the rising costs. It's twice a year at this stage.

I don't even know if there's anywhere to change to. I'm getting 240mb with a landline I never use for 50pm. Eir, who I have my phone with, are more expensive, first 3 months aside.

Report them to com reg for not notifying you of the price change

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,301 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I got my letter no email.
    I can cancel up until 18th December....but have to give 30 days notice zzz

Best offer for year works out at 637 p with having to argue with them every couple of months tbh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I've got no mail or letter yet from this shower

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,812 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I've got no mail or letter yet from this shower

ring them regardless

I was now told the complete opposite of what was said yesterday. I rang to cancel, said I was getting a better deal elsewhere, €35 per month. Told them it was ordered and all. I was told I was in contract until February and couldn't cancel. Yesterday, it was June. I was told there'd be a cancellation fee as they argued I had been notified of the changes. Yesterday there was none and they admitted that due to a technical glitch, I hadn't received the email. I explained that only for boards.ie and calling them myself, I wouldn't have been aware of the increase.

Anyways, in the end I re-contracted. I was offered €10 off per month for the first 3 months yesterday, which was pathetic. Asked them today for the details on how to cancel, and I ended up with half price (25pm) for 9 months, and €50pm for the final 3. With a new modem.

So over the next 12 months:
    If I had not been aware of the change: €630
    If I had taken yesterday's offer: €570
    If I had taken the offer elsewhere: €420
    The offer I ended up with: €375

They are a jokeshop, and I absolutely hate being a customer of theirs. But in the end, I'm saving a decent few bob, new modem on the way, and no hassle of having to change over.

Whats best deal anyone has got for broadband (240mb) and tv (basic)?

I was now told the complete opposite of what was said yesterday. I rang to cancel, said I was getting a better deal elsewhere, €35 per month. Told them it was ordered and all. I was told I was in contract until February and couldn't cancel. Yesterday, it was June. I was told there'd be a cancellation fee as they argued I had been notified of the changes. Yesterday there was none and they admitted that due to a technical glitch, I hadn't received the email. I explained that only for boards.ie and calling them myself, I wouldn't have been aware of the increase.

Anyways, in the end I re-contracted. I was offered €10 off per month for the first 3 months yesterday, which was pathetic. Asked them today for the details on how to cancel, and I ended up with half price (25pm) for 9 months, and €50pm for the final 3. With a new modem.

So over the next 12 months:
    If I had not been aware of the change: €630
    If I had taken yesterday's offer: €570
    If I had taken the offer elsewhere: €420
    The offer I ended up with: €375

They are a jokeshop, and I absolutely hate being a customer of theirs. But in the end, I'm saving a decent few bob, new modem on the way, and no hassle of having to change over.
    Is this for just broadband?
    Still a pretty good deal if it is!

gmisk wrote: »
    Is this for just broadband?
    Still a pretty good deal if it is!

Yep, 240mb broadband & landline! We haven't much use for TV channels, a dish and free-to-air box does us perfectly.

Thanks for that, to be fair I have found broadband really reliable, tv can be a tad shonky (box pausing, series links not working).
    The best I was offered was
    42.50 for 9 months, 85 euro for 3 months, but that was for tv (and landline which I dont use), so 637.50 for the year...not too bad I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 11 bp_maher

Rec'd the email and called VM to negotiate better deal .. Spoke to the nicest agent todate, was offered 4mth half price to start with but after a nice conversation ended with 9mth half price for "240Mb Anytime World + Horizon Max TV" , with new VM Hub .. New contract in the mail too (1st time to recv one!) .. Couldnt have had a more pleasant experience .. No haggling, threatening to leave etc. (was dreading coz of prev. dealings with UPC ). Happy to stay on with Virgin Media !

gmisk wrote: »
    Thanks for that, to be fair I have found broadband really reliable, tv can be a tad shonky (box pausing, series links not working).
    The best I was offered was
    42.50 for 9 months, 85 euro for 3 months, but that was for tv (and landline which I dont use), so 637.50 for the year...not too bad I suppose

You must have got pretty much my deal plus TV for the extra €17.50/€35 for the 9/3 months - we've done pretty alright for ourselves, thumbs up :cool:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I was now told the complete opposite of what was said yesterday. I rang to cancel, said I was getting a better deal elsewhere, €35 per month. Told them it was ordered and all.

Can I ask who was offering that?

• Advertisement

bk wrote: »
    Can I ask who was offering that?

Vodafone. Though I would have been dropping from a 240mb connection down to 90mb or so.

Advertisement