Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭alexonhisown

Just rang them because one of my boxes was not working
    I asked would i be affected by price hike in january, she said yes, and i would receive email over the next 2 weeks.

Was a bit worried when a previous poster said vm told him there was a glitch and thats why he didnt get an email, she didnt deny there was a glitch:D
    but put a note on my acc to make sure i get email about price hike

Will shop around to see whats on offer before i try to find a good offer from vm. I want to be willing to cancel when i ring them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

So I'm a little confused. Prices going up by January, if you cancel, you can cancel by the date in your email, but still have to give 4 weeks notice, which will more or less bring you to the end date of your current contract term anyway?

And should everyone have had their emails by now?

ThisRegard wrote: »
    So I'm a little confused. Prices going up by January, if you cancel, you can cancel by the date in your email, but still have to give 4 weeks notice, which will more or less bring you to the end date of your current contract term anyway?

Everyones contract date will be different. VM told me earlier i will be getting email within 2 weeks

If i dont, at least they will have a recorded phone call where they told me i would be getting an email:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭ahbell

ThisRegard wrote: »

I don't have mine yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Everyones contract date will be different. VM told me earlier i will be getting email within 2 weeks

If i dont, at least they will have a recorded phone call where they told me i would be getting an email:)

I've a chat transcript telling me about my increase, I just don't know until when I have to cancel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

I got my email today... called them to get new deal instead of cancel best offer was 6 mths half price, final 6 full price.

Oh am getting the new modem too. No more wifi thru Horizon box.

I had the 9 mths half price final 3 full price the last yr. Said couldn't do it again for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,876 ✭✭✭DopeTech

What time do the retention team knock off does anyone know?

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Got 6 months 1/2 price and then after that 70 euros a month for TV, 240MB and Phone.

Not giving out as work pays for it in full now with the reduced price so happy days :).

When i ring VM it always sounds like im ringing india or phillipines or somewhere similar.

When i rang today, i spoke to a girl that sounded indian, (as has been the case the past few times i have rang) but i could clearly hear an irish guy on the phone in the background, but when I ring i never get to speak to an irish person

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

When i ring VM it always sounds like im ringing india or phillipines or somewhere similar.

When i rang today, i spoke to a girl that sounded indian, (as has been the case the past few times i have rang) but i could clearly hear an irish guy on the phone in the background, but when I ring i never get to speak to an irish person

Its the Philippines and i used to work with people based in manila and Jeses they are hell to deal with at a working LV as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

Called today and as our letter isn't coming out until 9 December they couldn't do anything yet. Does anyone know why they're phasing in the price increases? Is it because of our current contract and its end date or the load that would be on the call centre with people calling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Leslie91 wrote: »
    I got my email today... called them to get new deal instead of cancel best offer was 6 mths half price, final 6 full price.

Oh am getting the new modem too. No more wifi thru Horizon box.

I had the 9 mths half price final 3 full price the last yr. Said couldn't do it again for me.

I was on the same deal. Got the email just now. Time to ring them up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭podge3

What number is everyone ringing? 1908?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 836 ✭✭✭- bo -

podge3 wrote: »
    What number is everyone ringing? 1908?

Yep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Negotiated a cut price, 12 month long deal back in august - wonder if they'll hike the price up on me? They didn't the last time around when I was getting another special offer to be fair.

All that being said the price creep with this crowd is never ending. To think I was paying 25 euro a month back in 2010. Sure, the speeds have increased but it's beginning to feel like opportunistic gouging. We desperately need more competition in this area. The way it's going you'll soon be expected pay to the guts of 100 euro just for basic internet access.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

Negotiated a cut price, 12 month long deal back in august - wonder if they'll hike the price up on me? They didn't the last time around when I was getting another special offer to be fair.

I signed a new contract earlier in the year, got 6 months worth of discount. The last 6 months is to be full price. Is anybody in the same situation and hopefully of getting another discounted period straight away?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

brophs wrote: »
    Called today and as our letter isn't coming out until 9 December they couldn't do anything yet. Does anyone know why they're phasing in the price increases? Is it because of our current contract and its end date or the load that would be on the call centre with people calling?

Different billing cycles. 7/14/21/28th of the month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,927 ✭✭✭patrickc

I've been offered 6 months half price, 6 months full and 2 months free sports and movies. I didn't accept said I'd think about the offer. Should I keep pushing for the 9 months? that's what I'd received this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Keep pushing. Send in the email to cancel.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Those who have triple play services from VM are most likely to get the 9 month deal if the keep on to them, I managed to get my mam and dad the 9month half price deal, they only finished their last 9 month half price deal in September, so it worked out really well for them. Myself on the other hand, Ive just got 240mb BB and phone from them, got my €2.50 price hike email this evening, rang them up, Im still in contract, thats due to finish up in March, finished a 6 month half price deal in sept, gave them the usual story about yet another increase and nothing given back to the customer, straight away he offered me a €20 discount for 4 months, had and ordeal getting him to budge on then, he finally gave in and offered a 4 month half price deal, however, I still turned that down. Told him, Id have to go away and consider my options. Im hoping when I ring them back, i'll somehow manage to get another 6 month half price deal from them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭James Delaney

finno wrote: »
    Hi

Just got an email from Virgin saying they are increasing there price from Jan 2017

We really hope you’ll go on enjoying your Virgin Media package and would hate to see you go. However, if you want to cancel, you can do so at any time before 07 December 2016, without any penalty or cancellation fees. Simply call us on 1908 and select option 1

So if your looking to get out of your contract now is the time to do so or
    try to get a deal out of them.

What was the increase for ?
    I just renewed a contract in Oct - I didn'tt receive this notice.
    Was it sent to u via email ?
    Any chance of a copy of it.

So it turns out this has been sitting in my inbox for more than a week, anyways....

"We’re making some changes in January and we wanted to let you know that, the amount you pay for your Virgin Media package will go up. This change will take effect from your first bill after January 1st 2017.
    If you’re enjoying a promotional offer or discount, don’t worry. You’ll still get this until it comes to an end."

That last part in bold is something at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭James Delaney

Yeah but they must have specified What Changes they're making.
    They have to give a reason -
    E.g. what improved service they're giving ....... or is it just a price increase.

Yeah but they must have specified What Changes they're making.
    They have to give a reason -
    E.g. what improved service they're giving ....... or is it just a price increase.

Just a price increase. No reason given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,812 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Just a price increase. No reason given.

I thought they gave a reason at the top of their mail?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Nalz wrote: »
    I thought they gave a reason at the top of their mail?

Nope they dont give a reason:

We’re making some changes in January and we wanted to let you know that the amount you pay for your Virgin Media package will go up. This change will take effect from your first bill after January 1st 2017. Nobody likes a price rise, and we understand this. We're always looking at how we can bring you an even better TV package and add value to your Virgin Media experience wherever possible.
    If you’re enjoying a promotional offer or discount, don’t worry. You’ll still get this until it comes to an end.

And if you click their link: www.virginmedia.ie/change there is no information either.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭icanmunch

I called them yesterday evening. Told them I received the email (I didn't) and that I wanted to negotiate my price or I may leave. Best I could get was 360mb internet, TV and phone for 50 a month for 6 months and then 80 a month for the final 6 months. Getting a new router too. I'm happy enough with that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭torrevieja

i rang today and when i wasnt happy he was able to cancel my contract without any email ?

so anyway i was on 57 for 6 months went up to 92 for 6 months

have 3 tv one recording and a 100 mb broadband

they offered me now 64 for 6 months then 107 for 6 months and 240 mb broadband and a new modem?

is that worth doing ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Just keep in mind that the new modem/hub is free to anyone who gets on to chat or emails them and asks for it, don't be considering it part of a 'deal' or a bargaining chip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭ahbell

pm1977x wrote: »
    Just keep in mind that the new modem/hub is free to anyone who gets on to chat or emails them and asks for it, don't be considering it part of a 'deal' or a bargaining chip.

I also ordered the hub from here, no cost and no contract renewal. I haven't had my notification yet and it still arrived.

https://www.virginmedia.ie/besthub/

Advertisement