Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭torrevieja

so what im really paying for is an extra 140 mbs 240 mbs oh and they were on about an extra 100 digital tv channels something about updating to hd and a phone line that with 100 minutes that i dont want

do they normally cancel straight away ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,301 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

torrevieja wrote: »
    so what im really paying for is an extra 140 mbs 240 mbs oh and they were on about an extra 100 digital tv channels something about updating to hd and a phone line that with 100 minutes that i dont want

do they normally cancel straight away ?
    It takes 30 days to cancel...you could also call their bluff and put wheels in motion to cancel and see if the offer you a better deal.

gmisk wrote: »
    It takes 30 days to cancel...you could also call their bluff and put wheels in motion to cancel and see if the offer you a better deal.

do they normally cancel or try and keep you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

I thought someone on here said they got cut off that same day after trying to call their bluff, think they were out of contract at the time and then got home from work to find everything cut off already?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭durtybit

Bit disappointed in the conversation after reading the title

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭spuddy90

Hey guys I didn't get the email to confirm of price increase. I'm not happy about it. Will I call to cancel or re negotiate aswell. I'm nearly half way through 6 month deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

patrickc wrote: »
    I've been offered 6 months half price, 6 months full and 2 months free sports and movies. I didn't accept said I'd think about the offer. Should I keep pushing for the 9 months? that's what I'd received this year.

Interested to hear how u get on. Cos I already had the 9mths half price there was no way she could give to me again. No mention of sports/movies to me but I am not too pushed about those.

pm1977x wrote: »
    I thought someone on here said they got cut off that same day after trying to call their bluff, think they were out of contract at the time and then got home from work to find everything cut off already?
    I got a letter about contract change and it said I had until 18th December to cancel with no penalty, but on call they made it very clear I would still need to give 30 days notice, I was in contract (until 7th Feb), I am guessing that is difference?

So the question here is who on this forum has cancelled and how did they get on

So the question here is who on this forum has cancelled and how did they get on

I eventually got the below after about an hour onto them and just went with it...couldnt be bothered arguing anymore I didnt really need 360MB broadband tbh so happy still with 240MB, I cant say I trust their billing department but have copy of costs by email.

240mb broadband, horizon max, anytime world.
    • €40.74 for 9 months
    • €84.99 for 3 months
    So €621.63 for 12 months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Just to say, I assume that this is across the board?

I am yet to see any contact letter or email, and I don't want to be stung.
    I also don't want to be proactive, and I can use it in the future if they don't help me out with offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭spannerism

I got the Irish Call center twice today. Very helpful bunch.

So far this is what I managed to get for

360Mb Mobile World + Horizon Max TV

54 a month for 4 months
    94 a month for 2 months
    99 a month for 6 months (full price)

Comes to 998 in total for the year which is 83.16 per month averaged out.

I'm trying to get them to give me a broadband only deal but no luck so far. This why I might be able to move the TV to Sky. They have 100 cashback running at the moment.

Back in Jan/Feb this year they gave me 6months half price straight out so will give it another bash in an hour or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,927 ✭✭✭patrickc

Leslie91 wrote: »
    Interested to hear how u get on. Cos I already had the 9mths half price there was no way she could give to me again. No mention of sports/movies to me but I am not too pushed about those.

there was no way he would consider the 9 months as I've already had it this year, if you haven't had it before I'd say you'd have a good chance of getting it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 836 ✭✭✭- bo -

do they normally cancel or try and keep you?

If you go a few posts back to one of mine - I asked them yesterday to give me the details on how to cancel. They put me on hold and then came back with a 9 month half price offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭Doge

What details do you need to give them for identification at the start of the phone call?

The old fella wants me to barter with them as im better at it!

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Jasper79

Got the Price increase letter,I'm just finishing up 6 months halfprice horizon max, so back up to €85 with 240mb broadband.

checked out sky for TV . theyve good deal on sky q at minute.

Rang virgin to cancel and got another 6 months half price at 42.50. So now have had 12 months continuous at half price, not bad going. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Doge wrote: »
    What details do you need to give them for identification at the start of the phone call?

The old fella wants me to barter with them as im better at it!

Account no, name, address, DOB. The standard stuff.

I actually have got a password set up, to verify that I am authorised to speak on the account holders behalf, but typically if you can give the standard identifying info, they don't care.

I eventually got the below after about an hour onto them and just went with it...couldnt be bothered arguing anymore I didnt really need 360MB broadband tbh so happy still with 240MB, I cant say I trust their billing department but have copy of costs by email.

240mb broadband, horizon max, anytime world.
    • €40.74 for 9 months
    • €84.99 for 3 months
    So €621.63 for 12 months

So I renewed.....they are already screwing things up....apparently I am due delivery of a new box.....despite not needing a new box (already 240mb box only a few months old) and saying specifically I dont want one zzz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,876 ✭✭✭DopeTech

- bo - wrote: »
    If you go a few posts back to one of mine - I asked them yesterday to give me the details on how to cancel. They put me on hold and then came back with a 9 month half price offer.

Did u have a discount last year? I was told they couldn't do any better than 6 months as I had a discount last year.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

FrostyJim wrote: »
    Did u have a discount last year? I was told they couldn't do any better than 6 months as I had a discount last year.

That's just a line to put you off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Maybe someone here could answer this for me. I'm thinking of getting tv from VM next year when my contract with sky ends. I'd need 2 boxes as that's what I have now. Do both boxes with VM have the same features? When I got sky 7 years ago I had to pay extra for a "proper" box in the second room which I didn't mind doing. Is it the same with VM.

No. the main box is the horizon HD box and the second box would be the older HD DVR. it'll still have on demand and all that but won't have the apps, it'll only record 2 shows at a time (you need to be watching one of them, like on a non Q sky box)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

colm_mcm wrote: »
    No. the main box is the horizon HD box and the second box would be the older HD DVR. it'll still have on demand and all that but won't have the apps, it'll only record 2 shows at a time (you need to be watching one of them, like on a non Q sky box)

That would be ok, it's better than the dire view only box that sky were offering at the time. Have you got the tv service? If so, what do you think of it? I had their old hd dvr setup in 2008 and it wasn't great, a lot of freezing etc. I'd say all that is gone here with the newly installed cabling and cabinets, are itv2 3 and 4 still on it? The lists on the site say they are but elsewhere it says subject to regional variations.

I don't watch much TV. I got rid of the second box earlier this year as it wasn't getting used.
    To be honest the TV guide on the horizon box is infuriating sometimes. There's no page up/down function. Other than that the menus are a bit illogical but in terms of pwrformance it's been perfect for the last few years.
    The second box is grand too. They made some software improvements a few years back so it's more responsive. Still feels old next to even a sky+ box though.
    The fact that they haven't fixed the day one obvious issues with the horizon boxes after all these years, given that the on demand content is dismal, I get the feeling there will be a whole new TV platform at some stage from Virgin.
    In short it's not as good as sky but better than eir or Vodafone Tv.

Yeah i have itv 2 3 and 4. I think some content isn't shown for rights reasons. If you're watching in a sky box or free sat it doesn't know you're outside the uk so you wouldn't have that issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

The horizon box and TV guide is terrible in my opinion. It's really laggy and freezes for a few seconds every now and again when changing channel. Sky box and interface are years ahead.

The annnoying thing is that the box is quite capable hardware wise, it's just let down by a bad interface and listening to focus groups too much pre-launch while largely ignoring customers post-launch. It wouldn't take much to make it really good.
    that said I don't really like the new sky box either.

Original Sky+ box was the most intuitive and user friendly.

Ended up getting 64.50 for 9 months and 107 for 3 months got 240 mb broadband too , new router on way and a tv box change

thats with 3 tv boxes and a recordable one

That's good going considering you have 3 or 4 boxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭alexonhisown

Ended up getting 64.50 for 9 months and 107 for 3 months got 240 mb broadband too , new router on way and a tv box change

thats with 3 tv boxes and a recordable one

Thats a good deal you got

• Advertisement

its 3 boxes all together and one of them is recordable

if u get the girl i got u should get it :D

Advertisement