Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭torrevieja

by the way is anybodys broadband slow at the moment ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭ronano

torrevieja wrote: »
    by the way is anybodys broadband slow at the moment ?

Yes! In Fairview dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Mines slow too. Haven't had time to investigate why. This forum isn't the place for those issues. I must see if I can renegotiate a deal though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭ruddy1987

Signed up to the boards offer in August, got my €50 One for All voucher and I am 4 months into 6 months half price, called to cancel and got a new 12 month contract with 9 months half price!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 836 ✭✭✭- bo -

FrostyJim wrote: »
    Did u have a discount last year? I was told they couldn't do any better than 6 months as I had a discount last year.

I did. I previously rang to 'cancel' a few months ago and either got 4 or 6 of my next 12 months half price. That was about 9 months back. And now I've got a further 9 months half price.

Each time they started out with weak offers (a tenner off for 3 months this time), and once I asked them for the details on how to cancel, they stepped it up - I have 25 quid off for the next 9 months now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭kooga

Just off the phone to virgin on behalf of my in laws

They have digital value and multiroom and are currently paying €41 pm going up by €1.50 to €42.50.

new 12 month contract paying €31 pm. so a reduction of €11.50 pm x 12 = €138

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,876 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Had a second stab at bartering with them saying i'd like to cancel but they wouldn't budge on the discount but managed to get 6 months at €25 then 6 months at €50 for 240Mb anytime world and free new hub.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

kooga wrote: »
    Just off the phone to virgin on behalf of my in laws

They have digital value and multiroom and are currently paying €41 pm going up by €1.50 to €42.50.

new 12 month contract paying €31 pm. so a reduction of €11.50 pm x 12 = €138

Got the new contract emailed to me and it shows a further reduction of 3.50€ for the self serve so will now be paying €27.50 pm a saving of €15 euro over the new price or €180 pa . Glad I rang up

how long does it take to get the email contract ?

also got broadband up to 240mb i havent got the router yet

she said it would take 24 hours to kick in the extra speed but must say my broadband has been really slow the last few days

so did a virgin test :
    Last Result:
    Download Speed: 2878 kbps (359.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 4150 kbps (518.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Latency: 14 ms
    Jitter: 0 ms
    11/18/2016, 10:56:42 PM

something wrong

Ps How do i know the 24 channels are in hd nothing showing on screen HD?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Horizon box doesn't come with a non HD option.
    Do you have the standard to pack or the one with all the music and documentaries?

You wouldn't usually get hd on the extra boxes, just the main one.

• Advertisement

the 100 tv package dont have any sky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,269 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Delighted. Broadband is grand but the tv is absolute ****e. I was looking for a way to cancel. thanks op.

torrevieja wrote: »
    the 100 tv package dont have any sky

You should have HD versions of BBC/RTE etc. Horizon has standard HD anyway.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    You should have HD versions of BBC/RTE etc. Horizon has standard HD anyway.

does it have the hd symbol on the page or do i turn off the tv box and turn on again ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Mr. Potty

Just wondering why you guys are paying more than €1,000 per year on TV and broadband when you can get free to air tv with all the same channels Virgin give and you can get similar (and better) boxes to pause, record etc? Really the only thing we should be paying Virgin for is broadband and i see someone saying they got top speed for average €450 per annum. Virgin are screwing you by renting their boxes at a rate of €110 per year for each box!!! Bloody celtic tiger back in some households anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,876 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Mr. Potty wrote: »
    Just wondering why you guys are paying more than €1,000 per year on TV and broadband when you can get free to air tv with all the same channels Virgin give and you can get similar (and better) boxes to pause, record etc? Really the only thing we should be paying Virgin for is broadband and i see someone saying they got top speed for average €450 per annum. Virgin are screwing you by renting their boxes at a rate of €110 per year for each box!!! Bloody celtic tiger back in some households anyway!

You don't get all the channels that you get on cable on fta. Some of them yes, but not all.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

Perhaps he's suggesting we should all be illegally streaming channels, or using a dodgybox connected to a dish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Cost to change to FTA properly is a lot. Basic horizon is an extra 30 or so a month. Maybe less if you have a deal. The box is garbage that is true. But it has a combined EPG for a couple of weeks ahead. Is that even possible with FTA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Mr. Potty

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Perhaps he's suggesting we should all be illegally streaming channels, or using a dodgybox connected to a dish?

There's nothing illegal with saerview and a satellite, it's free after initial set up costs and it has most channels.

In my house what gets watched is the discovery channels, MTV channels, Sky1, Disney etc. None of these can be got free to air.

Of course you can get free channels but it's not correct to say paid TV and free to air are similar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

Mr. Potty wrote: »

Not all of us are able to get saorview or FTA or even Sky. I live in an apartment and the signal is blocked because of really big trees at the back of my apartment so have no option but to keep VM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

I'm on the €60 360Mb Mobile World package and got the email re: contract changes.

Gonna call up now to cancel. What's the best number to call and what are the best deals are going at the moment that people have got?

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭James Delaney

Just wondering, what was your contract changes ?
    Is your contract due to expire ?
    I have basic horizon with Mobile World & 240MB & didn't receive any notification if contract changes.

I presume by a contract, you mean a Price Increase ?

Just wondering, what was your contract changes ?
    Is your contract due to expire ?
    I have basic horizon with Mobile World & 240MB & didn't receive any notification if contract changes.

I presume by a contract, you mean a Price Increase ?

from my experience:
    I got notified of the price increase
    I contacted virgin media
    renegotiated my package - got a reduction, it was explained to me over the phone that this was a new 12 month contract with a 14 day cooling off period
    that evening I received an email showing my new price and various T&C's

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭James Delaney

What was the Price Increase for ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭jakdublin

I called and upgraded my broadband package so got a four month discount. Over the 12 month contract, it works out that I'm actually now paying around €4 less a month for a faster package (or €6.50 less if I'd done nothing and taken the increase). Just have to remember to call again this time next year when the contract is up and see if I can get a similar deal again.

What was the Price Increase for ?

the tv was going up €1.50

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭ja1986

Hi guys.I rang about cancelling last week over the price changes.I was just gone off the 9month half price so delighted to be able to cancel contract with no fee. Rang and the woman offered me 4months half price so I said no and to cancel. I got a text about collection of equipment so I rang back and the other lady offered me 9months half price. Happy days !

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭leo2a6

ja1986 wrote: »
    Hi guys.I rang about cancelling last week over the price changes.I was just gone off the 9month half price so delighted to be able to cancel contract with no fee. Rang and the woman offered me 4months half price so I said no and to cancel. I got a text about collection of equipment so I rang back and the other lady offered me 9months half price. Happy days !

did u need to upgrade to get the 9 months ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭LG1234

How much is it just for the broadband? I only get the basic TV and I'd actually have more channels if I just got the free view/saorview box.

Also do I need a satellite for one of them boxes?

Advertisement