Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭jakdublin

LG1234 wrote: »
    How much is it just for the broadband? I only get the basic TV and I'd actually have more channels if I just got the free view/saorview box.

Also do I need a satellite for one of them boxes?

They've packages for €50 and €60 - 240mb and 360mb (with half price for first four months). You don't need a satellite for a box, but you'll get a more reliable service. Going the freeview route involves a bit of work and some basic technical knowhow, but there's a big saving. I gave up paying for TV last year and while you can get going quickly enough, it took me months to get a reliable set up with a TV guide and recording abilities. Most of the boxes won't let you record, but with a satellite box, you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭torrevieja

hi guys just did a speed test suppos to be 240 mb does this result look right :

Last Result:
    Download Speed: 32592 kbps (4074 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 21337 kbps (2667.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Latency: 14 ms
    Jitter: 3 ms
    11/22/2016, 10:22:22 PM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

torrevieja wrote: »
    hi guys just did a speed test suppos to be 240 mb does this result look right :

Last Result:
    Download Speed: 32592 kbps (4074 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 21337 kbps (2667.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Latency: 14 ms
    Jitter: 3 ms
    11/22/2016, 10:22:22 PM

What do you think Einstein?

jca wrote: »
    What do you think Einstein?

thats why im asking Mr Trump

thats why im asking Mr Trump

Asking what? This isn't a speedtest thread. You just want to whinge about a ****ty speedtest result, probably done on wireless. There are plenty of threads about improving your VM speeds. Be warned you might have to spend a few bob but it's well worth it.

• Advertisement

jca wrote: »
    Asking what? This isn't a speedtest thread. You just want to whinge about a ****ty speedtest result, probably done on wireless. There are plenty of threads about improving your VM speeds. Be warned you might have to spend a few bob but it's well worth it.

Go back to ur hole like a good kid...:pac:

Go back to ur hole like a good kid...:pac:

Your speedtest result is bad, happy now??? Use a cable connection for the next one....you do need decent hardware to get the full 240.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The VM supplied white hub gives decent performance. 114mb on my phone, a good bit more on my laptop (can't remember the exact figure)

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The VM supplied white hub gives decent performance. 114mb on my phone, a good bit more on my laptop (can't remember the exact figure)

It was hit and miss with me. I went for the Archer C8 with the VM hub in modem mode. I'm very happy with the results. Saying that, there's nothing like the speed from the wired connection to a gigabit desktop port.

Just got the 6 months half price ,
    got the Irish call center.
    very easy to deal with

Thanks OP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Just got the 6 months half price ,
    got the Irish call center.
    very easy to deal with

Thanks OP

I think you could have gotten better if you played hard(er) ball.

Last time I mentioned cancelling when my contract was up, they only offered me four months half price.

Might move to sky. It'll nearly be a third of the broadband speed, but the cost will be half of what I'm paying at the moment!

EDIT: Just reading the first few pages of this thread and I feel like I'm after been taken for a ride by VM. I was put on a few months half price down to 45e... but then back up to ~90e!!! This is with the 240MB, Horizon Box, Phone.

Any advice on removing packages / downgrading?

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭TheUnderfaker

Got the 6 months myself. I was thinking about fighting for the 9 months but I've been with Virgin Media/UPC for well over 2 years now and in that time I started off on 4 months half price and have got 6 months half price 3 times due to price increases and contract errors.

I'll just wait for the next one and do it all over again :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

I'm on a broadband only package. Called them up. Got an English lad, so I guess it was the UK call centre? Best he would offer me was 2 months free on the €50 240mb package, full price thereafter.

Dunno if I could have got better than that or not? Are the people getting 6 months half price on broadband only or some TV combo package? Turned him down anyway and may try once more before cancelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭TheUnderfaker

@messinkiapina

I think you have to give 1 months notice to cancel, and I've seen people on here who have given their notice to cancel only to receive an email soon after saying they're sorry to see you go and to call them to see if they can retain you.

If push comes to shove, it might be worth a try

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

BREAKING NEWS
    Customers of Virgin Media have been told that their bills will increase from January.
    The new changes will see the average customer paying an extra €1.50 per month, the company claims. ...

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭ja1986

leo2a6 wrote: »
    did u need to upgrade to get the 9 months ?

Sorry just seen this.No changes .I'm on 240mb,max and anytime world.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭James Delaney

snubbleste wrote: »
    I've received no notification yet via email, txt or letter!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭jethrothe2nd

I'm moving to Sky. Didn't even bother ringing to see what they might offer. Sent in an email saying I was cancelling and the retention team or whatever they are called have rung me back twice since. Haven't answered either time as I've made my decision, but maybe the best strategy to get something out of them is to simply send on a cancellation mail and let them do the chasing. Of course they might just simply call your bluff....

Is that Sky offer of €55 pm month for the 1st year (Broadband + Satellite) over? I can't see it anymore. Crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Is that Sky offer of €55 pm month for the 1st year (Broadband + Satellite) over? I can't see it anymore. Crap.

They've some Black Friday deals here.

http://www.sky.com/ireland/black-friday/

Just read the small print. Speeds of 100MB, but very tempted to go for it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I'm moving to Sky. Didn't even bother ringing to see what they might offer. Sent in an email saying I was cancelling and the retention team or whatever they are called have rung me back twice since. Haven't answered either time as I've made my decision, but maybe the best strategy to get something out of them is to simply send on a cancellation mail and let them do the chasing. Of course they might just simply call your bluff....

I got the call a few days after my email, the last throw of the dice from them was to ask if a member of my family would want to take over my account.

me_irl wrote: »
    They've some Black Friday deals here.

http://www.sky.com/ireland/black-friday/

Just read the small print. Speeds of 100MB, but very tempted to go for it!

I take it that €29.50 offer is just for TV? How much to add in the broadband? I can't check here because I don't have an active landline/UAN to put in their webpage.

Sky were, without doubt, the absolute worst BB provider I ever had. Why anyone would consider dropping VM BB for Sky's paltry FTTC, or worse still, adsl is beyond me:confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭.G.

That's the problem, VM have by far and away the best broadband out there, that's why they keep pushing the price up, no proper competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Depends on how good your VM service is. It's great on paper but some people have an awful time with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭.G.

Never had any trouble with mine, I pay for 240mb and I get 240mb, wired of course. If sky or any of the others could guarantee their advertised speeds they be worth a try but they can't cos they don't have the infrastructure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,347 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Depends on how good your VM service is. It's great on paper but some people have an awful time with it.

Have had problems for 11 months now. Promised 4 different dates for fixes in that time (March, May, September, now 'the new year'.

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057558103

Using the contract change to finally get out.

superg wrote: »
    Never had any trouble with mine, I pay for 240mb and I get 240mb, wired of course. If sky or any of the others could guarantee their advertised speeds they be worth a try but they can't cos they don't have the infrastructure.

I'm the same, I'm on 360 and according to my Samknows I'm getting 360 all day long(wired). It would take a very good BB provider(FTTH) to persuade me to change and I can't see that happening anytime soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Virgin without doubt offer the fastest speeds, but realistically very very few people actually make full use of the bandwidth available. Looks great on paper, but it's mostly waste.

• Advertisement

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Virgin without doubt offer the fastest speeds, but realistically very very few people actually make full use of the bandwidth available. Looks great on paper, but it's mostly waste.

Agree. I'm on a legacy package with them, 60mb. I had a room-mate here until recently and we were both blasting out HD netflix streams simultaneously all day long, and the connection never fluttered.

I've no idea why anyone would need 360 or even 240mb, unless there are 10 people in the house who are constantly streaming in HD on separate devices. In such a case, splitting a €60pm bill multiple ways is great value. But paying €50/€60 pm for something that is vastly underutilized by one person doesn't make sense if there are cheaper options that can handle the same load.

Advertisement