Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,347 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Agree. I'm on a legacy package with them, 60mb. I had a room-mate here until recently and we were both blasting out HD netflix streams simultaneously all day long, and the connection never fluttered.

I've no idea why anyone would need 360 or even 240mb,

Because not everyone only uses netflix and browses the web. Some of us can take advantage of the superior DL/UL speeds when connecting to our FTP servers or downloading/uploading torrents.

When Virgin works, there is no comparison on this island to their 240/360 package. I just downloaded a 1.7GB file in under 70 seconds while typing this. Unfortunately it is highly unreliable for me during peak hours and they keep lying through their teeth about when they will fix it, so I have to move to another company and deal with the lower speeds from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭James Delaney

Agree. I'm on a legacy package with them, 60mb. I had a room-mate here until recently and we were both blasting out HD netflix streams simultaneously all day long, and the connection never fluttered.

I've no idea why anyone would need 360 or even 240mb, unless there are 10 people in the house who are constantly streaming in HD on separate devices. In such a case, splitting a €60pm bill multiple ways is great value. But paying €50/€60 pm for something that is vastly underutilized by one person doesn't make sense if there are cheaper options that can handle the same load.
    I ise 240mb to avail of wifi on 2nd floor of 3storey house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

I've no idea why anyone would need 360 or even 240mb, unless there are 10 people in the house who are constantly streaming in HD on separate devices. In such a case, splitting a €60pm bill multiple ways is great value. But paying €50/€60 pm for something that is vastly underutilized by one person doesn't make sense if there are cheaper options that can handle the same load.

What is the cheaper option? As far as I can see, even basic broadband from Eircom and Vodafone starts at €45 pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

I need the unlimited international and mobile minutes, and only the 360mb package from Virgin includes this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭micks_address

I need the unlimited international and mobile minutes, and only the 360mb package from Virgin includes this.

I was tempted t more to eir for broadband and phone bundle to get eir sports on sky.. The intro offer was 30 euro for three months then 70 for remaining months.. That's unlimited calls to Ireland landlines and mobiles.. Same package with virgin is 50 euro.. They had me on a 10 euro discount but when I phoned yesterday they applied a four month half price deal to my account.. Knocked out any savings I'd have made switching to eir...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

anyone go with sky for TV and VM for Broadband?

Send my 30 days notice to cancel@virginmedia.ie anyway.

Will wait till near the end of the 30 days and call up for a deal.

yes this is exactly what we have... sky tv with VM for broadband/phone

Send my 30 days notice to cancel@virginmedia.ie anyway.

Will wait till near the end of the 30 days and call up for a deal.
    why wait? just phone and they will offer you something...

why wait? just phone and they will offer you something...

My past experience with companies is that people in the "30-day" pending cancel state always get better deals. This is especially true for Sky. If you actually cancel the entire thing, you're better off again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭questionmark

i rang them up and they pretty much cancelled my account straight away :O can i un-cancel ?

i rang them up and they pretty much cancelled my account straight away :O can i un-cancel ?

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

That's my setup atm. It's expensive, I'll be out of contract with sky early next year, I'll consider my options then.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Sky seem to be doing a half price 'Black Friday' offer for BB here:

http://www.sky.com/ireland/broadband-talk/

Essentially its

12.50 a month + 30 Line rental (i.e. 42.50 a month) for a 100Mb Fibre connection

or

7.50 a month + 30 Line rental (37.50) for a 'Sky Broadband Unlimited' connection (up to 24Mb)

In both cases- this is an unlimited offer- i.e. 42.50 for the entirety of a 12 month contract, or 37.50 if your line doesn't support a fibre connection........

Just rang Vodafone and Virgin- neither are willing to even countenance making an offer approaching this- and both say there must be setup charges or other charges, that its simply not possible.........

I've not got an e-mail or a letter from Virgin (thus far) (I also never got my Netgear DIR 695 back from them). I'm at the end of the last 9 month's half price- and my bill this month has come in at 59.99 (don't know how this reflects the fact that my half price was 28.25- surely it should 56.50 and not 60 quid- however, lets ignore this for the moment).

Virgin loyalty team have pretty much told me to piss off, they'll give me 6 months half price on a 12 month contract, nothing more- and they don't care about the Sky offer (which does actually look quite reasonable).

Its still 8 quid a month cheaper with Virgin if you take their phone service (I've had it for the last 9 months- and haven't made a single outgoing phone call).

If they were willing to give me 9 months at half price- I'd just bite the bullet and be damned with it and take it- but I can't justify only taking 6 months at half price- when they're being blown out of the water by Sky..........

Vodafone were absolutely lovely on the phone- I actually felt really really mean trying to talk an offer out of them- I could hear a team leader whispering in the background that there was nothing they could do- to just let me go..........

If there was some manner of just getting the 9 months at half price (I'm on the 360Mb with some sort of world phone service that I've never even plugged in)- I'd take it just to be done with it. I've had it with all these price rises- the guy on the phone said surely you know all your services go up every year- they most certainly do not- and as I reminded him neither his nor my salary has had an increase in a hell of a long time..........

Is there some way of just getting the bloody 9 months at half price- and putting this to bed until the next time they raise the damn prices again? 6 months just doesn't do it- when Sky have a competitive offer at long last.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭.G.

100mb "if your line supports a fibre connection" is the problem with Sky's deal. Alot of old copper phone lines in this fine country of ours can't handle those speeds and therein lies the problem. All the money UPC pumped into upgrading cables in housing estates in Dublin over the last few years means they have a service that can't be touched by any competition and they know it. I'm just off 9 months half price so I'm not expecting them to offer it again, will bite their hand's off for 6 months.

superg wrote: »
    100mb "if your line supports a fibre connection" is the problem with Sky's deal. Alot of old copper phone lines in this fine country of ours can't handle those speeds and therein lies the problem. All the money UPC pumped into upgrading cables in housing estates in Dublin over the last few years means they have a service that can't be touched by any competition and they know it. I'm just off 9 months half price so I'm not expecting them to offer it again, will bite their hand's off for 6 months.

While thats true to a certain extent- Eircom (or Eir- as they'd rather) have enabled over 2000 boxes nationally in the last 9 months). In my case- I have the luxury of being able to take up either offer.

I feel hard-done by with Virgin- how many bloody times can they increase the price?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Could not believe yet another price increase mail today. Pretty sure that's me done with Virgin. As I'm in an apartment Sky isn't an option nor is freesat. Considering Eir, actually in chatting to them today they told me that they would cover Virgin cancellation costs up to €200. Pretty sure it's free cancellation with the price increase but good to know all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Virgin loyalty team have pretty much told me to piss off, they'll give me 6 months half price on a 12 month contract, nothing more- and they don't care about the Sky offer (which does actually look quite reasonable).

I'd bite their hand off for 6 months half price. The best offer I got was 10 euro off for 4 months. Went ahead and cancelled and not a word from them since. I'm sick of the price increases too, but they are by far the best when it's comes to broadband in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Got my mail from them yesterday. €4 increase.
    That would put me €4 over the cheapest option they currently offer, with an inferior product in my package (less minutes, half the BB speed).
    I better ring them and see what they say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

Got my mail from them yesterday. €4 increase.
    That would put me €4 over the cheapest option they currently offer, with an inferior product in my package (less minutes, half the BB speed).
    I better ring them and see what they say

let me know how you get on, i was thinking of calling them monday to take up the mobile offer of 10 euro a month for 8 months and negotiating a half price deal on tv and bb as mine also went up 4 euro a month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

brightkane wrote: »
    let me know how you get on, i was thinking of calling them monday to take up the mobile offer of 10 euro a month for 8 months and negotiating a half price deal on tv and bb as mine also went up 4 euro a month.

I would be careful with their mobile offering. It might be a good price but it comes with a lot of trouble.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=101772712&postcount=4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭torrevieja

I would be careful with their mobile offering. It might be a good price but it comes with a lot of trouble.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=101772712&postcount=4

i cant see that on there terms and conditions ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭torrevieja

get there new contract will they still be increased in january as well

yes this is exactly what we have... sky tv with VM for broadband/phone

Its probably the best combination but more expensive.
    May I ask what your paying for each service i.e. VM & Sky.

Eir gives a max 100mbs broadband which I reckon would be useless - Any posters have experience / feedback of Eirs 100mbs broadband ?????

Was onto Eir today - they don't seem to be able to give discounts.

Was onto Eir today - they don't seem to be able to give discounts.

Sky giving a free 32" Samsung tv with their bundles

Just bought a new tv during the week.
    32" is a bit small - Antway I don't need another tv, I have 2 already.

Any1 know if Sky gives allowance if you don't take up their tv offer ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Virgin is by far the best BB in Ireland
    Sky the best TV

Virgin TV interface was so bad the whole family begged me to get rid of it and actually stopped watching TV!!!

In short guys- is it possible to shake a 9 month half price discount out of Virgin- and how do you do it? Its fairly handy to get a 6 month half price offer- however, even their 6 month half price- is looking less like a special offer- when compared to the likes of Sky and their 12.50 + line rental offer for the entire term of a contract (aka not just 6 months).

Looks like there is competition after breaking out in the broadband provision market- however, and unfortunately for consumers- Virgin have no universal service obligation- so no-one else can piggyback on their network- and EIR, despite their remarkable work over the last 9 months- still have gaping holes in their network.

I haven't taken the 6 months half-price from Virgin (yet) however, nor have I received my letter telling me I'm being increased (yet- either).

Another poster 2 pages back said he upgraded his package with Virgin and was offered 9 months half-price for doing so- is a package upgrade the only manner to unlock the magical 9 month half-price offer?

This is even worse than the annual dance we have to do for car insurance...........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Virgin indicated to me the last time I called them that you got 9 months if you had reported a series of problems with the service.

Advertisement